Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
#teamGIMP
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...i introduced myself. Thought it would only be polite since i robbed you all of the last set of JOM coilovers on the deal from Damian!

I joined here a few months ago to lurk after i bought my black MK4 V5 Highline back in December. Have gleaned some info already so a post help thanks is due for the forum.

I bought it as a daily, doing over 350 miles a week. Probably a bad idea as it gets 29mpg on combined driving to and from work and i'm easily giving it £80 a week, such is life...

It was a dealer demo when new, and has pretty much every factory option bar a sunroof. It was owned from 6 months old by a man in Bath (its now about 80 miles away here in Basingstoke) and has never been worked on by anyone other than its home dealer, until this weekend, so was full "grandad spec". Completely unmolested. It was due a full service according to its book (which is full, the back cover has become a improv page..!) and as i used to be a mechanic and still get my parts cheap, i did the full works. I left the air filter as ive got a pipercross panel on its way.

I do some detailing in my spare time. These were taken over the bank holiday, i was fortunate enough to have 4 days of fair weather to hit it hard.... Still not finished though, there are a few bits i ran out of hours on as the wife had me on packing to move house. It had a coat of Meguiars NXT-Gen Tech 2.0 for these, its had a full coat of Dodo Juice purple haze and some little detailing bits since (just noticed the lower grilles haven't been done in these pics)

Ill get some interior shots when ive finished in there. I think its only the floor that isnt covered in black leather!

I have a few bits planned. Ive had a guy from a local club and i know uses here have a fiddle with VAGCom and he has activated my alarm bleeps on lock and unlock and anti-hijack/autolock. (Thanks again Jamie B, the beep novelty still hasnt worn off!) Obviously from the start of this post, coilovers are on their way. Once they are on and the air filter is here i need to make a decision on leaving the exhaust system standard, or to change it, as its getting remapped when i can make time, looking like August at the mo. Busy few months coming up.

Thoughts and criticisms welcome....

Ben

·
#teamGIMP
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yo, i am indeed, and actually work in Fleet. Im on the small business park by the train station right now, and am moving here on Saturday. Guess we'll be seeing more of eachother! I am indeed on BD. Just posted actually. Coilovers have arrived.

Schweeeeet!

·
#teamGIMP
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers! Took some work. Still not 100% though. I left dirty finger prints all over it when i did the service at the weekend which i had to get back off again. Also had a dirty stain on the inner silver bit of the engine cover where it has been running on the insulation stuck to the inside of the bonnet.

Equal parts G3 and elbow grease soon sorted that :)

Ben

·
#teamGIMP
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cant wait to get them on. If not to get rid of the arch gap, just to tighten it up. Its the 170hp version of the V5 and pulls quite nicely, its a shame it doesnt handle the corners as well as it easts up the straights. I "falls" around corners like a boat. It had every single bush replaced at a cost of nearly £1,000 bby VW before its last MOT becuase they had all perished so i know its just the executive aimed stock suspension.

Unfortunately i wont have time this weekend as im moving into my new house, but ill be on its the following weekend. Ill update with pictures of its newfound stance!

·
#teamGIMP
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet. Im just glad its previous grandad owner had deep pockets and forked all the money out that he did. It had a brand new clutch and dual mass flywheel at a cost of £1,600 from its home dealer 3 months before i got it.

Im all for using genuine parts, but it must suck not being able to do that shoot yourself! According to the invoice the Clutch and DMF are on it had a major service at the same time. It was at Bath VW for 4 days, and it cost the guy £2k!

I paid £2,300 plus £600 trade for my MG ZS 120+. I bought it from a independant who bought it at auction from an Audi dealers part ex stock, so my betting is he lost a bloody fortune when he traded it in against a spanking Audi!

·
#teamGIMP
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aye, well here's hoping. I have a massive wadge of invoices from Bath VW, some for stupid things like "a bulb" or "Remove and refit front wipers".Lunatic!

Its full on grandad spec. Ive worked out from the codes on the sticker in the boot and the service book that off the options list, i think its only missing the upgrade HID lights (has the highline lights with integral fogs though) headlight washers (have plans to find myself some of these) and a sunroof. Inside is full heated black leather, factory mats, armrest, electric everything, the CLIMATronic air con system, 6 disc changer in the boot (needs a new magazine though, keep randomly getting "CHK Magazine" on the screen.)

Hasnt stopped me looking for things to upgrade though. I would kill for a set of mint condition R32 front seats with heating elements. Seems they're like the proverbial rocking horse detritus. ...

Needs new wheels too. On the lookout for some BBS Split rims or reps, 17's. I think a decent light silver/shadowchrome with white lips should look sweet :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.