Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About time I got some photos up. Typically it was overcast and I managed to splatter mud up it on the drive and it could have done with a proper clean before hand.

Its a '55 PD130 Highline, 33k miles, one previous owner. The car is basically immaculate save a couple of stone chips. The inside is the same story, with not a mark on it. The steering wheel hasn't got the slightest sheen on it, the leather totally unmarked. Moose-LT sorted my service and cam belt which were slightly overdue and also plugged it in and sorted auto lock/unlock.

Been having issues with my laptop which has caused me to be a little slow on photographs and not having taken many...

Posted Image
Bora by a_t_b321, on Flickr

Posted Image

Posted Image

It needs a detail to protect it from the winter, and I'll probably enlist my brother to do this and drop some wedge for him to get some new products to use/keep as payment. We had a look at it last weekend when I was at his place; The paint still beads well but there are some swirls visible under the diving lamp but looks very good under normal light. I'll post the first picture of it when I get home - it was cleaner then.

Plans? Not too much really. I want to get auto windows and gauge lighting sorted but otherwise its kinda a shame to spoil it. I bought some uprated bulbs yesterday, took a look at fitting them and then decided that I wouldn't at the moment - I don't want to scratch the screws on the passenger side getting at the bulbs. Perhaps a little OCD but the car is like it just rolled out of the showroom. I've also contemplated a stubby aerial and some Sport headlights for the fogs. Not really big mods, I like the idea of the foglights but I know it is big work really. And if I did it, it'd have to be factory which means overly expensive wiring looms and the like.

I would like to get a little more out of the audio, but again it needs to be OEM. I'm contemplating a Delta 6, but can't work out whether it had the DSP amp with it or not. And seeing as those are a pain, not expensive but a pain, I could get an aftermarket amp. Choices are between Sony sound on top (cheap), Blaupunkt THA455 (more expensive) or the Alpine inline amp (best but not easy to find). I'm doing my homework... I've contemplated an RCD 200 MP3 too but there doesn't seem to be any clear cut evidence whether in a late car the FIS and steering wheels will work. Like I said, it has to work like it came out of the factory with it.

Other than that just get some miles on it and enjoy

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.

Tim: We had a good chat at length, I do need to make it to a meet at some point. Interested to see what everyone else is running. I'm still involved with aircooled but this is a touch in the deep end.

Joshy: Wallet took a proper battering already. This probably was the most expensive Bora for sale when I bought it. No doubt it was the right one to get as it is pristine, but anything else will have to wait a little bit [;)] The bank manager is on side at the moment and I'd like to keep it that way!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its started[:O] I couldn't keep my hands still any longer. I've decided where this is going. OEM+. Was away at the weekend when I arrived back had an A4 warning triangle waiting. 5 minutes cleaning it up and it was fitted. Not sure if its the same part as the VW one, its only Audi marked, not VAG. Bit of a squeeze but its in the holder and looks the part.

Plans:

* Illuminated vents
* Lit needles
* Miles to empty
* Auto windows
* Lane change indicators
* Sunglasses holder
* Sound deadening kit - The car isn't loud but road noise is killing my driving experience. I might put some Contis on it when I'm due for new tyres, they seem to be the quietest about
* Possible W8 light
* 150 lights with fogs
* Rear cup holder
* Something with the stereo - I'm still torn as to whether I should get an amp or go OEM with a DSP setup. And which head unit to go for. Not too fussed about Sat Nav but I like the idea of the H/K amp over the Nokia and these seem more available for the MFD.

This is all money that should be going into my beetle. I need to find more time to love that too.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 409 cable came today. With some impatience I installed three Czech program onto the girlfriend's laptop cause I'm not running windows on mine. Cable drivers installed, port test is good in the program but I can't get the interface to be recognised. Tried the shareware VCDS, same problem. Took it out to the car and plugged it in, a little blue light comes on at the OBDii end, interesting. Fired up the program and tested; port ready, interface ready. Three mouse clicks later and it's all done. Tested and working, result.

For those too lazy to look for the guide, it is here http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/472146.aspx?PageIndex=1. I got the cheapo cable from eBay and it worked first time.

Next up is to fire XP onto my old netbook and register VCDS, so that I can have a play and install the Czech program and I'll be able to help others out. Vagtacho is probably next on the agenda but it seems a little more involved.

So soon to be enabled and testing my theory on the radio system...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been shopping!

A few parts have now arrived and a few I'm waiting on...

First haul, VW torch, a Snakey bag holder set and some Passat CC parking ticket holders, I've got 4 of these to sell once I've got mine fitted, should be very simple, just need some time

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it screws in under the A pillar trim, but it is too dark for me to be tackling that right now and all my spline tools are in my garage, its too cold/late/dark to be buggering about there right now! Fitting guide will follow.

Bag holders are cool, I wanted some Octavia folding ones for the boot, but that needs a little engineering which again needs some real time for me to do it.

Fog light headlights are on their way, as is a wiring kit for them. Need to get a switch, torn between about £16 for a cheapo or double that for a genuine new one or trying to find an immaculate 2nd hand one

Also looking at folding mirrors, it's a real pain down my street and I had one clattered off my old car and have a horrible feeling I may lose one if I forget one day.

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
Looks good mate. I like those bag holders, never seen them before.

Are the parking ticket holders like the plastic clip ones Volvos have in their windscreens? Always thought that was a good idea.

Still the cleanest Bora ever! [;)]

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly like the Volvo ones Moose - I'm going to have a look at it tonight and I'll get some proper pictures too. The part number is derived from the Passat 3C but I know mk6 Polos have them amongst probably many others. This is how they mount in the Passat:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bag hooks I believe are a new line either this or last year out of VW's student development programme. I found the 'Snakey' whils looking for the other type and took a punt for the few pounds they were. They are rated at 2kg which should be sufficient for a little shopping or a jacket. I'm presuming that canvas tote bags, which are what most people use for their groceries in Germany, would be better suited to these than plastic carriers sitting on the seats.

It is a real shame the Bora doesn't have the pressings for the rear luggage area type; they were fitted on the B6 passat and on the mk2 Octavia. That said it is just a small strip of metal spot welded on in the Passat. Once I get some real time to have a look I'll be seeing what I can do. For now the luggage net is doing a good job.

Hoping I can get the car protected a little for winter, even if it is just a hand polish. There is a place nearby that offer a winter protection valet for about £30 which inculdes a full hand polish and wax. It is probably what I will go for but it could really do with a full detail. I don't have the time and although it is good value when you weigh up cost of materials and hours put in, £150+ is a lot of money. I think in spring I'm going to get down to my brother's place, get it up on stands and have a full arch liners off clean, correct the minor swirls, clay and get a good protector all over it.

I'm also now VCDS enabled [Y] Was hoping to pull my window motor part numbers, failed. I'll have to pull the door cards to have a look. I'm wondering what are the chances that late motors (as found in the Leon of similar age) were used in my latest of the late car.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! I got my bits from Germany. Ordered 11th, delivered 14th. Efficiency! They are probably available from VWUK for £££

Shall I put you on the list for a ticket holder? If there is plenty of interest in the Snakey and ticket holders I'll sort another buy and distribute them.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll gauge some interest on these and other bits and put another order in.

I have 4 ticket holders to sell (perhaps those commenting above will jump on them though so first refusal chaps!) I'll suck up the postage cost from Deutschland on this lot and can do you one for £1.50 posted

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fitting a parking ticket holder

Tools: T20 driver, trim remover (optional), microfibre cloth (optional)

Time: 10 minutes

Parts: Ticket holder kit (Parkscheinhalter)

Part number Description
3C0 867 159 Parkscheinhalter (vom Passat 3C)Holder
N 104 420 03 Inbus-Blechschraube 5x16Screw
N 105 168 01 SpreizmutterScrew holder

Images from Passatplus.de

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

---

Easy as pie to do.

Remove the A pillar trim by first pulling back the door seal then
snapping the piece of trim off starting at the top. It makes a horrible
sound like its going to break but be brave.

2. Next remove this piece (see the image below for where its removed from) If you look at the A pillar trim you'll see that there is a rubber
buffer that fits against this piece, its a direct replacement.

Posted Image

All you do is slip the screw holder in, ease it home in the hole,
little force needed, then run the screw through the holder and into the
screw holder using a T20. It doesn't need to be really tight, just home
is fine to hold the plastic piece, you may think its too loose on the screen but the A pillar trim will make it solid once refitted. Do it up too tight and you'll have issues
trying to get the tickets in. Make sure you tuck the wires into the
little bit designed for it out of the way.

Posted Image

4. Refit the A pillar trim, again starting at the bottom. Align all the trim clips before pushing it home.

5. Refit the door seal, make sure you bring it around the A pillar trim to make it look good and ensure its all seated well

6. Wipe down the windscreen of finger prints

Then you are all done, sit back and admire your easy mod

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 130 Posts