Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First posting but I've been on the site several times and I've found it really entertaining.

I'm getting ready to order a new company car and I've narrowed it down to a choice between these 2.

Any comments on the pros and cons of each ?

From my perspective, A3 looks better inside and out and has lower emissions while Golf is cheaper and roomier.

(Ideal would be a 4 Motion TDI with the GTI bodywork)

I haven't driven either yet but I'm in the process of arranging it.

(Please no groans about company cars- I do 30,000+ miles per year and opting out doesn't appeal on financial grounds, even though tax costs a fortune)

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I would go with the A3.

The only MKV interior I can live with is the GTI one.

Coming from an A3 owner, I don't get the "Golf is roomier" myth either!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Apart from the nice steering wheel & seats, what's the real difference? The plastics which is what some people don't like about the mkV are the same.

On the Audi sportback (stoopid name if ever I heard one [:|]) if anything I'd expect it to be roomier than a Golf as it looks "extended" compared to the 3 door A3.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts

Apart from the nice steering wheel & seats, what's the real difference? The plastics which is what some people don't like about the mkV are the same.
First of all, the Audi has a far nicer interior than both VWs.

What the GTI has over the other Golfs is as you mentioned, the wheels and seats but it's the way the instruments are presented, how the gear lever looks, the roof lining and cubby holes, it's just all round a nicer pack.

It's just how I feel about it, doesn't mean you have to agree with me!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Irish- since you've obviously driven both, any comments on the difference between them ?

Cheers,

Andrew

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I haven't driven both, I've only driven a GTI in the VW.

I've sat into, a normal Golf.

They'd drive pretty much the same, the A3 has had minor tweaks to its handling to match the Golf.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Bren,

i've just picked up a nearly new GT TDI 4-motion and was stunned by what a lovely drive she is, really smooth and the steering feels very precise and accurate. I also have full leather which gives a lovely feel to the car.

I had test driven the new GTI which felt very similiar but obviously superior. My last car was an R32, so this was the sensible option regards fuel costs.

Personally, if i could have afforded the A3 sportback 2.0TDI Q, i would have gone for it. But i got quite a good deal 4K off a 6 month old car!

I love the Audi's to bits, but i hate the way they sell every conceivable option; interior light pack, dimming rear view mirrors, rain sensor wipers, coming home lights, etc, all standard on the GT.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bren

I've not driven either, but just to put a spanner in the works, if you are really bothered about what you pay in tax, why are you looking at the 4wd versions of the cars. The normal TDi is 17%, the 4 motion is 20% in the Golf, I'd expect similar for Audi. So you must really want the extra grip - in pound notes, assuming higher rate tax payer, that extra grip costs you ?25 per month (allowing for higher list price of 4wd Golf). If you get private fuel paid for as well, that number increases to ?40 per month extra for awd.

So, how much do you need the grip then?

Ian

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I take your point Ian.

However, if I was just worried about the tax I would get a Panda or similar. If it was just the AWD then an Impreza.

What I want is a compromise and a moderate size diesel hatch with AWD seems about right.

I know that it's cheaper to get FWD only but I like AWD (used to have an Impreza). I also do ~40k miles/pa so by definition, I'm out in all weathers where AWD is useful. I also go watching rallies and AWD helps getting into and out of the forests.

Life's a balance- this one's mine.

BTW- finally got the forms from the fleet manager. Now I need to see what optins he'll let me have.

Ciao

Andrew

·
Registered
829 Posts
BTW- finally got the forms from the fleet manager. Now I need to see what options he'll let me have.
At a minimum, Metallic/ Pearlescent paint.. single biggest factor in the residual value and 'time spent on fleet' cost of the car. Does your scheme run on an a ' allowance vs. cost of car basis' ?
I'd charge you a higher monthly figure if you ordered a Solid colour or 18"> rims .

Fleet Managers.. mean, the lot of them[;)]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thinking of met. paint, cruise, xenons, roof rails luggage pack and storage pack.

Don't know if I can contribute to options if I go over budget (don't know what the budget is yet so I'll go for what I want and try to negotiate).

Know what you mean about fleet managers- at my last company the FM didn't even have a car.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sensible options.
Have you been given a monthly figure or just a list of cars?
BTW, If you have an allowance e,g ?450 / month. Any costs which exceed that figure (- i.e if the cumulative cost of car + options is ?475 ) can be qualified against Tax. So you'd get 40% of your private contribution back as a higher rate taxpayer.

I'd be surprised if you can 'negotiate' - a recipe for dissent and disaster in Fleet Management.

A

·
Registered
39 Posts
Our fleet policy allows us a limited range of manufacturers but any model they make (4/5 drs unless you can get very senior sign off). If you want extras, you can have them. Down side is that you have a limited budget and and once that has gone, its personal contribution time - and options tend to inflate the quote considerably (as the lease company appears to assign zero resale value to any - even metallic!).

So if you want a small car with lots of extras - no probs. want a big basic car - again, no probs. Its just a pity that we don't ahve a more holistic view of which manufacturers you can ahve - so VW and Audi are on there, but not Seat or Skoda. Jaguar and Volvo are on there - but not Ford. Toyota, yes, Lexus - no! Ah well, just have to stick to my BMWs then - might not have 4 wheel drive but it certainly entertains when it loses grip! And 17% tax liability....

·
Registered
271 Posts
You could always get back issues of Audi Driver (August 2005) and VW
Driver (July 2005) where they do a full road test of A3 TDI Quattro
& Golf MK5 TDI 4Motion.http://www.autometrix.co.uk

Looking at the review, I dont know if it's in error but the Golf has a
larger fuel tank (60 litres vs 55 litres). The Audi's unladed weight is
less at 1520kg vs 1576kg (both 3 door models). Insurance group is 11E
for Audi and 13E for Golf. Golf has better performance tho' to 60 and
within a 1/10th in gears. Compression ratios are different 18.5:1 in
the Golf and 18.0:1 in the Audi. The road test showed the Golf was
slightly more economical at 43 mpg vs just under 40mpg for the audi.
Also gearing is different 25.9mph per '000 in Audi vs 30.4 in the
Golf...Emissions are lower for the Audi, 149g/m vs 165g/m.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So decision made- I can't have the Audi 'cos it's too expensive.

I'll order the Golf with the extras above plus 17" wheels and I'll grind my teeth every time I see an A3.

After hating the grill initially, I've got used to it and I think it makes the Golf look a little bit bland from the front.

Fleet managers- don't you just love them ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've now got a delivery date of the mid-December and with all the extras that I asked for including the 17" wheels (put forward the wider tyres helping the road-holding and thus a safety feature !).

I'll post some pictures when I get it but, since it's silver, it'll look very similar to TDI-line's car apart from the wheels (I've gone for Estorils).

I should be happy, but I saw an S-Line A3 5dr quattro on Deansgate at the weekend it looked stunning, helped by stainless roof bars on a black car. And that grill ! I'm still salivating !

Got to go and stick some more pins into my fleet manager voodoo doll.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
We don't let our drivers pick any options, they get a standard car like it or not[:)] to our lot its just a tool for a job, interstingly we on our quotes metalic paint reduces the rental (and we don't pay for it as it helps resale) by ?2.50 per month on a 4 year contract. I'm sure you have made the right decision getting the Golf over the Audi

1 - 17 of 17 Posts