Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering one of these if I can afford to change. I know the running costs will be lower along with insurance and tax, but I'm guessing service costs will be higher than my CTR.

My average mileage will be around 12-13,000 a year. Will it be worth the change from a CTR, although I know I might be asking a silly question here.

I'm not bothered about the acceleration so much any more, and I know handling won't be anything like but I like the refinery of the A3 although I've never actually driven one.

·
Registered
894 Posts
You need to take a test drive, my opinion is that the 2.0TDi Golf is a better car, it rides better, handles better is more roomy and has a better gear change, book yourself back to back test drives you maybe surprised.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just prefer the look of the Audi and I always imagine it being better put together than a Golf too. I know the A3 was always better than my old MK4 Golf GTi.

Has the MK5 build quality improved vastly on the MK4?

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
not in my opinion - and I also think that the Audi has a better dash - much more quality orientated. The 2.0 TDi is more refined than the 1.9 but its still pretty noisy when cold and around town. And of course there's the usual diesel vibration When using light throttle, you won't really know its a diesel.

I must say that I much prefer the 2.0 to the 1.9 ( which made me feel sick ) and I like the surge with the torque too.

If had had the extra few K, I'd have gone with the Audi

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
forgot to say, the Audi will cost abt ?100 more to service than the Golf ( according to Top Gear mag anyway )..ask James ( marriedblonde ) what he thinks....

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I've got the A3 2.0Tdi, I did consider the Golf but after pricing up the models the audi was dearer but not by a great deal plus I got a nicer spec, well I think so anyway.

Servicing costs aren't too bad. I'm on variable servicing and my car needed servicing at 16K but I do drive quite hard and the first half of that mileage was only small journeys. I paid ?194 for the first service, this was done over night on a friday and they managed to find me a courtesy even though I only booked the car in 3 days prior - servicve from my local audi dealer is pretty good! But you do need to phone round for servicing costs as they do vary - greatly. The worst I was quoted was over ?300 and that was within 35 miles radius.

The looks and interior are going to be a personal thing I'd say the quality of the interior is better than the golf and the dash is nicer but I am going to be a bit biased here...

The noise I don't really notice except when getting the car out of the garage in the morning when, as Damian said, it's cold and a little noisey. But as soon as I am in and off up the road it's fine. Not noticed and vibrations but that could be because I have DSG? Don't know, this is my first diesel and I am pretty impressed. The 2.0Tdi is a quick car, not fast but quick enough to be entertaining. although I am about to get it chipped I think which should liven things up on all accounts.

If you have any more specific questions then please feel free to ask away [:D]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

J.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers J, is yours the Sport? That's the trim I'm looking for but how much would I expect to pay for a 2nd hand one? I've looked on Audi and they're around ?16k. Do Audi dealers do much of a deal on their 2nd hand cars?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've been looking for one of these for a while now as well. I currently have gt tdi golf.

I think you will pay around 16k for a tdi sport private buy and around 18k for an s-line.

look on autotrader, theres no s-lines in the UK for under 17k.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Sorry been a bit slack in replying!

?16K will definately but you a very nice spec'd sport from an Audi dealer, considerabley less privately.

It's easier to get a discount on a second hand Audi than a new one as they will have a bigger margin on the used one - they offer very poor trade in values... If I was looking at at getting one from a delaer and it was on the forecourt for ?16K I would not be happy unless I was getting about ?1K off that price.

When I bought mine I managed 10% with a bit of discussion.

difference between the sport and the s-line is: lower/stiffer susp (only 10mm), 18" RS6's, black headling, half leather, chrome bits, black piano trim on the doors and centre console, perforated leather on the steering wheel and gear nob, lit vanirty mirrors, small spoiler on the rear hatch, possibley a better stereo but I'm not sure and of course the S-line badges.... Err and I think thats about it.

Here's a couple of (rather crappy) pics of my interior.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Oh and performance wise remember I went from a modified R32 to my A3 and I'm still happy with it, yes it's slower off the line but when your moving theres not really a huge difference in performance. Plus I average 45mpg in the audi compared to less than 20mpg in the golf [;)]

J.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Audi are doin "special edition" versions of the S-Line, which have everything the S-Line has plus full leather, and is cheaper than the S-Line. Look on the Audi website under new cars - A3.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sorry special edition only appears to be available for the 2.0T FSI engine:

<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=51 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif>[/TD]
<TD width=20 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif>
[/TD]
<TD width=169 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif> 2.0 T FSI Manual [/TD]
<TD width=1 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif>
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=36 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif>7.0[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=40 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif>190[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=51 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif>?19,070[/TD]
<TD width=20 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif>
[/TD]
<TD width=169 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif> 2.0 T FSI Sport Manual [/TD]
<TD width=1 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif>
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=36 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif>7.0[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=40 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif>190[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=51 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif>?21,070[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD width=169 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif> 2.0 T FSI S line Manual [/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=40 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif>190[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=51 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif>?22,620[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD width=169 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif> 2.0 T FSI S line Special Edition Manual [/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=51 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif>?21,795[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD width=169 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif> 2.0 T FSI Sport quattro Manual [/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=40 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif>216[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=51 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif>?22,470[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD width=169 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif> 2.0 T FSI quattro S line Manual [/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=40 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif>216[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=51 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif>?24,020[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD width=169 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif> 2.0 T FSI quattro S line Special Edition Manual [/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=40 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif>216[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=51 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif>?23,195[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD width=169 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif> 2.0 T FSI Sport DSG [/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=36 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif>6.9[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=40 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif>187[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=51 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif>?22,470[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD width=169 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif> 2.0 T FSI S line DSG [/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=36 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif>6.9[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=40 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif>187[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=51 background=/images/b0d8e1.gif>?24,020[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD width=169 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif> 2.0 T FSI S line Special Edition DSG [/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=36 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif>6.9[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
<TD class=greycopy align=middle width=51 background=/images/d3ecf2.gif>?23,195[/TD]

·
Registered
990 Posts
James what is the ride like? A lot of people say the ride is quite harsh with the sports suspension, how does it compare with the R?

I must agree I do prefer the interior of the audi, the golf looks and feels cheaper than the mk4. If they will offer it with the 170pd & quattro, then I'll probably buy one.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I find the ride very good, it's stiff enough to be sporty and allow some fun without being bone jaring. I've read a lot of comments over on Audi sport about the ride being awful but I can only assume it was a pre MY2005 car. I know they have revised the suspension on the S-line models a couploe of time. It's been revised since mine also.

I have actually lowered my car a fraction on Eibach springs (about 10mm lower than standard) and the ride is slightly stiffer on these again but still more than acceptable. I've had my car since march last year and covered just under 20K in it so it does get used on a variety of roads. My journey to work is a mixture of B-roads, A-roads and motorway and it's great on all of those. I've done a couple of 4 hour plus journeys and arrived without feeling any fatigue.

Compared to the R on standard suspension it is a little softer. It doesn;t crash over pot holes the only complaint would be the rear can get a little light if you are giving it some beans on a back road going into a bend braking but it's no worse than my stadnard Golf Gti was!

Even Claire loves the car and says it drive's lovely - praise indeed! Trust me if the car had a hard crashy ride she would let me know at every opportunity!

J.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I also had an A3 TDI Sport and thought it was a lovely car..

I love my Golf but the interior was quite a bit nicer than the Golf it has to be fairly said..

As for the drive however well the GTI would wipe the floor with it in terms of handling and that planted feeling, stops a lot better and has more 'feel' for the driver to be in control - I'm basing my comparison with it on the GTI though so not really fair.

2.0TDI Golf Vs A3 I'd take the A3 all day, even if the Golf TDI does handle a tad better (I can't confirm this).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts