Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mate at work has just bought this car which I had a drive in earlier today..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I assume this model would be about the closest that Audi offer to the MKV GTI. The A3 looks quite understated in this colour; it haredly shouts it's performance potential. Acceleration seemed quick but somehow not as quick as I expected? Interior was usual high quality but seems quite plain alongside GTI. DSG gearbox quick & smooth; paddle shift nice but controls too close to column stalks. Two negative points; spec not great(lots of small things missing that even a MKV SE has fitted) and the ride...way too hard for me. On a typical country B-road the car jolts too much imo. Cornering was good but nothing special. Steering quite communicative but probably over-light. I will have to drive a MKV GTI to see how the 2 cars compare..

·
Registered
281 Posts
Totally agree about the GTi over the A3. The A3 felt quite numb. I would rather have an A3 TDI than an A3 TFSI but I would sooner have a GTI. An A3 just looks like any other A3 whether it is a 3.2 or 1.6.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Outside Greenbeast a 03 A3 could look like that...They could even give you bloody different wheels on the 2.0T.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote: posted by oxford on 22/03/2005 09:20:38

About 3 k more I believe?

List price for above A3 was ?22,675 but mate paid @?21,500 on a PCP. List price for Golf GTI DSG(incl met)..?21,655. Dealer offered only @?500 discount so cost would [email protected]?21,150. Hence almost the same price..

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm currently trying to decide whether to go for a new A3 2.0T Quattro S-Line or the MKV GTI.

Matt747, your mates car is a standard sport, be it 2.0TDI. 2.0 FSI or the 2.0T only the engine is different, if you s-line spec, then you've got 18" alloys black headlining etc all to make the car feel more 'sporty' if you like. Price wise i can have a deal on the s-line with xenons and lots of other spec for only ?200 over a GTI with some options.

Personally I prefer the A3 interior over the MKV even the GTI, the new plastics are just not upto the Audi standard, although I agree the A3 does look quite dull inside, if you go for dark seats.

My decision will be made once i get behind the wheel, i owned an A3 for nearly a year and im test driving a GTI next week, so I'll have to see!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Jasew,

Audi must be trying very hard at the moment because I can get an A3 Sportback 2.0TDI Sport with zenon, met and FCAR for 280 quid more than a Golf 5dr 2.0 GTTDI with met, zenon, FCAR and the 17 inch wheels.

Much as I like the Golf it really is a no brainer for me, just got to pick a colour and wait for delivery!

·
Registered
64 Posts
First started with drive the deal (www.drivethedeal.com) and then played off a couple of dealers.

I think I`ll have to take a car that`s in stock to get the maximum saving but there you go.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
List price on mine with all the options was about ?24,100 IIRC and I paid just under ?22k for it. Phone round the audi dealers and ask them t0 price match the web people, thats what I did.

J.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts