Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone recommend a decent cheap Vagcom?

I have looked around and seen some on ebay for like 20 quid - but are these any good?

Also I could buy a cable and use my laptop with Ross Tech VCDS-lite trial version. But this has limited functions?

My use for one would be to check for error codes on my car and remove warning lights on the dash.

Also possibly program keys and remote central locking etc.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
VAG-COM freeware version or what ever it's called will read all DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) but will only decode the first one automtically,the rest you'll have to look up yourself.It will reset warning lights and show live data (a LOT more useful than DTCs) but won't let you do any sort of programming,you'll need the full version for that.

Chris.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So the cables off ebay are fine to use then?

The only disadvantage with the Vag -Com free ware version is that you cant do any programming?

Ive never even thought of getting myself one, Im forever popping into the garage to use theres, would be a lot easier if I had my own.

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
So the cables off ebay are fine to use then?

The only disadvantage with the Vag -Com free ware version is that you cant do any programming?

Ive never even thought of getting myself one, Im forever popping into the garage to use theres, would be a lot easier if I had my own.
Yes and correct,more to read about the dangers of over use below......

THE ONBOARD DIAGNOSTICS THREAD

Chris.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hi mate well i got vag-com of ebay and it was a bit of a waste you got to keep cracking it and i got pi**ed with it so i bought a SUPER VAG K+CAN that done the all jobs apart from the alarm the best and easiest i found to work and understand was VWTOOL similer to vag-com good luck mate hope it helps

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
hi mate well i got vag-com of ebay and it was a bit of a waste you got to keep cracking it and i got pi**ed with it so i bought a SUPER VAG K+CAN that done the all jobs apart from the alarm the best and easiest i found to work and understand was VWTOOL similer to vag-com good luck mate hope it helps
You don't have to keep cracking it if you only expect to get shareware features from the shareware version.I paid £13 for mine a few years ago and and does just what it says on the tin.

Chris.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts