Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Not for me, i would have the old LCR any day.  I really do not like the looks of the new Seats as from the front they all look exactly the same.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Someone on here recently bought an FR leon in silver and it looks the dogs. I think the new leon is very dependant on colour.

Those pics in yellow don't do it justice. But in black and silver they are nice looking cars. Very fresh.

So to summarise yes I would. Looks like a lot of car for the money. Obv in black [;)]

J.

·
Registered
333 Posts
saw one of these bad boys in silver today on my way to work........(The car i saw had nicer/larger alloys on, the bodykit looked different and it had two exhausts on the back???.... look incredible!!!)

The pictures do them no justice..... they are probably one of the nicest/futureistic looking cars ive seen in ages.

The best looking vag motor thats in production at the moment by far!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Sorry if you've got one, but that colour on that car looks minging. It's 307-esque and it's got some mean eyes (lights) and then a button cute nose (grill). Talk about the wolf and red riding hood all in one car.

[n]

C

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
i think they look great! best looking hatch around i reckon! saw a load of the kitted ones, aero pack or something at silverstone when the touring cars were on and they look the business!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
The interior is not as nice as the GTI. The plastics are lower rent than the golf. The seats are comfy though. ( Had a look at one yesterday)

For a five door I like the shape/profile.

If it had a wide body kit and twin exhausts at either side of the body and with wider bumpers (Btcc style) it was probably one of the reference sports that they did as an offer over the summer with a body kit, alloys and different bumpers front and rear.

One other thing the sales man couldn't tell me when the DSG gearbox would be on sale in the UK. Just that it would be next year.

Mind you also rang up a VW dealer and a Seat dealer for the price of a service ..............The VW dealer was ?60 cheaper. I was a little surprised!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
From Pistonheads here
http://uk-mkivs.net/pics/news/15432/seat_leon_cupra_2006-L.jpg

The engine has been uprated from the Leon FR/Golf GTI?s version on which it is based. Modifications include a larger turbocharger, reinforced pistons and engine block, strengthened connecting rods, a new ultra heat-resistant alloy for the cylinder head, plus larger injectors. The car also sounds sportier thanks to a specially tuned exhaust system. Yet despite the Cupra?s extra dose of power, the efficiency of direct injection allows average fuel economy of 34 mpg.
Yes, I would have it, but I would like to think bargains could be had from the likes of Broadspeed. ?19k is into base Focus ST3 territory or Focus ST2 with Exhaust, FMIC and remap territory, which I, personally, would rather spend my dosh on.

However, crucially, it is ?1,000 cheaper than a Golf GTi and it has all of the good parts the GTi does with a stronger, more powerful engine. For those not concerned about the having the VW or GTi badge and for those who want a different looking car, it is a very strong contender. It has the same engine as the S3 which means it would get to 265bhp with no issues and probably closer to 300bhp with a map and exhaust.

Seat need to get their dealer network sorted though, especially in Scotland. There are no dealers between Inverness and Edinburgh, the reason my next car will not be a Seat.

Also, I think VAG are losing the plot with their prices. The Skoda, which is supposed to be the budget brand is more expensive than a Leon with the same engine. Also, a Golf GTi with a few options is not going to be far off the price of an S3. Also, the Sportback A3 2.0T is not too far off the price of an S3 either.

Audi S3 - 265bhp - ?26,975

Seat Leon Cupra (Same engine as S3 but with lower state of tune and no 4x4) - 237bhp - ?19,595

Seat Leon FR - 197bhp - ?16,995

Skoda Octavia VRS - 197bhp - ?17,525

VW Golf GTi (5dr)- 197bhp - ?20,860

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T - 197bhp ?22,320

·
Registered
990 Posts
No.

In this week's Autocar they reckon neither the Cupra nor the new S3 are as good to drive as the GTI. They may have more power but the Golf is a better package.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
No.

In this week's Autocar they reckon neither the Cupra nor the new S3 are as good to drive as the GTI. They may have more power but the Golf is a better package.
The GTI is the better package, money, performance and it gets 5 stars on most ratings, but hey if all we did was buy cars on someone else's ratings the world would be a very boring place.... I prefer the new audi styling to VW, thats why im going down the audi route.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Being honest, if I could not look outside the VAG Group and wanted a fast hot hatch, I would have the new Leon Cupra over the Octavia VRS, Golf GTi and Audi S3.

I find it amusing however that some people will only look at one make or group of cars (ie VW or VAG). There are loads of good cars out there from different manufacturers, some of which are better than others in many ways. By all accounts, there are the same type of people latched on to Fords, Vauxhalls, Hondas, Jap Cars etc etc.

However, IMO, there is an air of arrogance to some VW and VAG group owners/drivers. Ignoring badge snobbery and VAG group considerations for a minute, look at the Focus ST and Astra VXR. Both are faster, more powerful, cheaper and very agile on the twisties as the GTi yet many VAG group drivers would not even consider one.

Also, I would not be looking at an S3 as there will be a superior car, no doubt for less dosh, than the S3 in the shape of the next Focus RS and Evo/Impreza.

[/?0.02]

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Being honest, if I could not look outside the VAG Group and wanted a fast hot hatch, I would have the new Leon Cupra over the Octavia VRS, Golf GTi and Audi S3.

I find it amusing however that some people will only look at one make or group of cars (ie VW or VAG). There are loads of good cars out there from different manufacturers, some of which are better than others in many ways. By all accounts, there are the same type of people latched on to Fords, Vauxhalls, Hondas, Jap Cars etc etc.

However, IMO, there is an air of arrogance to some VW and VAG group owners/drivers. Ignoring badge snobbery and VAG group considerations for a minute, look at the Focus ST and Astra VXR. Both are faster, more powerful, cheaper and very agile on the twisties as the GTi yet many VAG group drivers would not even consider one.

Also, I would not be looking at an S3 as there will be a superior car, no doubt for less dosh, than the S3 in the shape of the next Focus RS and Evo/Impreza.

[/?0.02]
Obviously its all about opinion, as with most things.

I started my car life with Ford, and dont have an issue with them, my dad likes his fords, thats up to him. I on the other hand dont particularly like them anymore, and neither the Focus or Astra rock my world. I have had Vauxhalls for company cars and they are OK too. My last 2 cars have been VW's and I have had issues with the level of customer service and the dealersips by me, hence I have decided to move on....

There are several car brands I really like, Volvo, Saab to name 2, I would have loved an S60R but cant handle the horrific deprecation on them.

I prefer the S3 looks wise and feel wise, hence why I have bought one, the fact its expensive makes no odds to me, in fact I like that, means less of them on the road, so a little more rarity. I also like the residuals on Audi's and VW's, and that plays a part in my car choice.

My car has to fit with me and my life, and I have to want to drive it...

As far as the 'superior car' comment when talking about the Focus RS and Subaru/Evo thats your opinion, I for one dont think any of those are, in fact I wouldnt be seen dead in an Evo or Impreza, they might be good cars, very quick, great handling etc... but dont have enough refinement for me, and they definitely are very very uncool, I'd have a mk4 R32 over both any day of the week (just a minute I did [:p])

2p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts