Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the thing. I got given a laptop by work a while back, I had it now for about 2 years, its a Dell Latitude, 40gb, 256mb ram blah blah. I have used it about 3 times so decided it was time to give it back. But, there are no records of the machine at work and no records that a machine has ever been given to me.

So, I'm gonna format the thing and start using it, probably never use it again after that, but still, its there if I need to.

But, the problem is, I don't want someone coming to me a year down the line saying 'wheres that laptop' and Ive got shot of it or something similar. Trouble is, there are so many differing departments in the NHS and IT has completely changed hands since I got it.

What would you do? Be happy to keep it and format the blighter and get on with it or push them to have it back (and the person I give it back to will probably take it home!!)

I need to format it as IT set it up for me and I've got no rights, even though I was their installation bloke, lol. Like I say, different departments and all that.

It's even got one of those digital ID's with it so I can log into their networks (which now don't exist).

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
ok perhaps keep it in the state its in for another couple of months. that way you can 'find' it and give it back if necessary

but if they don't ask after that amount of time you can just deny you've still got it and noone will have a clue

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think honesty is the best way to go, just in case! Is it worth risking your job for an ageing ?250 worth of laptop? Definitely a no no.
It's not as if I'm keeping it on the quiet, I asked if they have any records and they don't. Could have come from any department as I got it off someone who left their job and was just handed to be in a carry case there and then.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok perhaps keep it in the state its in for another couple of months. that way you can 'find' it and give it back if necessary

but if they don't ask after that amount of time you can just deny you've still got it and noone will have a clue
Yer, won't be selling it. But I have had it for 2 years not using it!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Don't sell it, but use it if it helps you.  Personally, I would format it, start again but be prepared to give it back if they ask.  I have a number of machines floating around that have slipped though the system.  I use some of them but most sit on the shelf.  After all this time they won't care if you format the whole thing anyway.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Asking other peoples opinions as would like to know what they would do. What you do isn't it when your in need of advice! Wondering how many have done the same etc.

Brain, lol...I pay tax too dude [:D] I get paid through your money if that helps annoy you, hehe.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Get yourself another drive of fleabay install that and keep the old
drive in case its ever asked for back, or failing that ghost the
contents of this disk to another drive so it could be resstored
at a later date?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Milkfloat's said what I'd do, and indeed am doing as we speak - I'm on an old work lappy, that was given to me for some work ages ago and then they gave me a new one.

I've formatted it and use it for what I want - if they ever ask for it back, I low level format and they can have it. Doubt they will though, it's a very old IBM E600 [;)]

I wouldn't reocmmend selling it, but if htey have no record and you've asked, use it as you will! [:)]

C

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you worked for JP Morgan or Goldman Sachs I would say keep the little fecker... but that Dell is paid for by hard working tax payers ... like moi [8-|]
If it were JP or GS I doubt they would give out laptops willy nilly and, if they did, they'd probably have an entire department earning ?100k pa each keeping tabs on it.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you pay tax, but doesnt make it right to steal a laptop from other tax payers
Oh, so now I'm a thief!?

It's not stealing when you ring up to say 'I have a laptop, it has no NHS tracking number on it, but its a Dell so and so, I don't know which department it came from, or exactly when but I was given it when someone left, do you have any records of it' and then they say 'no, no records mate, don't know where it has come from, don't sound like ours'.

Funny how people get on their high horse when they think I'm gaining something they have personally paid for through Tax!

I have taken LOADS from the NHS. Stupid policies mean computer equipment can not be however old, it has to be electrically tested, it cannot be older than a couple of years etc etc for the safety of those working with it. It's got to be such and such specification because Fujitsu say so (they own the contract to support IT throughout the south west, but as far as I have seen, have never done a thing). You should see some of the rooms, piled high with redundant equipment., printers, hubs, monitors, computers, laptops, miles of wires, servers, you name it.

Now, were then faced with another problem, disposing of it. Because of more stupid rules, you can't just low level format the machine and get on with it, oh no, every single part of the computer that has anything to do with the NHS has to be destroyed, so a sticker, has to be destroyed, hard drives, destroyed (and I mean destroyed!). You then have to pay stupid rates for a computer 'disposal' company to come and collect it all and apparently destroy it completely...where does it end up? Yer, you guessed it, on the bay on ad's like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Job-Lot-18x-Dell-PC-Computer-Base-Units-Mainly-P2_W0QQitemZ5242581762QQcategoryZ3745QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Notice in the ad is says 'the hard drive has been removed'

When I say I have taken loads, please bear in mind that it is all redundant stuff that I have found uses for. Nothing new, all used and old, but sometimes can be just what you need.

So feel free to carry on sitting on yer high horse saying you have paid for it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.