Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do the headlights only come on when I am opening the car? Not when I am locking it and going into the house for example?

Can you change all the features as in the handbook with just the standard computer?

·
Registered
320 Posts
You can certainly change all the features with the Highline comp,
unsure of whether that is possible without a trip to the Stealership on
the midline though.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
3 Options:

1.) Highline (you don't have it)

2.) VAG-COM - You need the CAN BUS Version. If you ever pass Warwickshire feel free to pop in [;)]

3.) Dealer - Seeing as you just bought the car from them they should do it for free. In fact a good dealer would ask you during the prep of the car.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Stupid bloody software - reply attempt number 2

As per TT's line above, if the lights are on auto, you should be in business. If they are, and the lights don't come on when you unlock the car via remote, or else don't stay on for a brief spell after you lock the car, then someone's played with the defaults, and you'll need a trip to the stealer (unless you've got Highline) to get them to sort it out.

They do try and be clever the old auto lights though, like if you unlock th ecar, and then lock it without opening a door, the lights won't stay on they'll go straight off and another couple of "AI" quirks, but if they're not staying on at all, it's ain't right [:)]

C

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try the auto lights first. They stay on when opening the car alright just not when leaving it.   

·
Registered
406 Posts
Irish, if you can't get it to work with the lights in "Auto" position (straight up) - which I am not sure about as I thought the "Auto" setting refered to when driving the lights will detect darkness and switch on.

I never used "Auto" mode except to have a play while driving so can't vouch for it.

However, if you leave the lights in "Full-on" mode, when you open the door there is no buzzer etc to warn you. This is because the car is cleverer than that. If you leave them on and lock the car they will turn themselves off after about 20/30 sec (independent of VAG.com setting AFAIK).

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Yup - the logic being why would you lock your car and leave your lights full on. So they switch off.

Buzzer will only trigger if you leave the sides on or else if you've left a parking light (ie indicator lever) on.

And yeah, straight-up for auto lighting, otherwise you're in control and it (in theory at least [;)]) should be doing what you tell it, not what it thinks is best!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also... depending on the inteligence of the girl you with... see if she says "your lights are on" time it just right and clap... just as they turn off..

Don't ask me how but that got the last girl in mine going a treat [:)]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't ask me how but that got the last girl in mine going a treat [:)]
Who needs foreplay eh??

I put them to auto and they stay on when approaching and leaving the car now so all is fine.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'll try the auto lights first. They stay on when opening the car alright just not when leaving it.
Mmm checked mine out,mine do as irish said come on when you unlock the car but not when i lock it...So if i leave the auto lights on it should do the trick,but does this only work when its dark,or will it work of a daytime..[:^)]

·
Registered
406 Posts
Mmm checked mine out,mine do as irish said come on when you unlock the car but not when i lock it...So if i leave the auto lights on it should do the trick,but does this only work when its dark,or will it work of a daytime..[:^)]
"On" = any time

"Auto" = when it's dark AFAIK

·
Registered
779 Posts
Ok am on it now cheers..But when on auto they dont stay on when i lock the car only when i open it so looks like it will have to get done at the staelers..Arghhhhhh[:'(]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeh mine deffo do both when in auto so sounds like you should go to the stealer.

I'm very impressed with auto lights so far.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Quick quesiton about them actually, do you not find they come on at times when you really think they shouldn't??

Most of hte time, fine, but they do love to come on when it's sunny (but the light intensity isn't massively bright, although you can't see for sh*t without sunglasses!!!), and are sometimes a bugger after the tunnel - stay on in bright light. Flick them off and on, and back to normal.

Maybe I'm just being picky tho [:cool:]

THoughts?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quick quesiton about them actually, do you not find they come on at times when you really think they shouldn't??

Most of hte time, fine, but they do love to come on when it's sunny (but the light intensity isn't massively bright, although you can't see for sh*t without sunglasses!!!), and are sometimes a bugger after the tunnel - stay on in bright light. Flick them off and on, and back to normal.

Maybe I'm just being picky tho [:cool:]

THoughts?
I find they are hit and miss. They definitely can come on too early. I have noticed though that they sometimes come on when it's sunny and the sun is shining on the back of the car - as soon as the car is turned to face the sun - they go off. I sometimes have had my sun glasses on and the lights have come on - which I think is crap. Told the $tealer and they told me the car knows best or something like that. Also the rear view mirror doesn't work very well at dusk/dawn when there is some light from the sky and someone is behind you with bright lights - again I told the $tealer and they told me nothing was wrong. VW service is sh*t - I hope I never have a major problem.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I sometimes have had my sun glasses on and the lights have come on - which I think is crap. Told the $tealer and they told me the car knows best or something like that.
Yeah I know that one - you're driving round with your sunny's on... And you're damn lights! Talk about look a right plank! (I have to remember to turn the damn things off if they've been on auto in the mornings coming home from work)

Can see I'm not the only one though, rattled passed an identical GTI coming home this afternoon from the office, and he had his sunnies and lights full whack - I'm not theo nly one! [;)]

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Check out the manual on this one. With the lights on auto, they are turned on at a certain speed, and only turned off when below a lower speed for a time. Can't remember the speeds or time, and don't ask me why, except maybe to draw the attention of the boys in blue. Best turned off during the day, I'd say!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts