Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone actualy make a double RHD pillar pod? i like the 42Draft design ones as they look OEM;

However, i cant seem to find a RHD 'double pod' does anyone make one?? similar to this LHD one;

I think it looks sweet, surley they have had demand for double RHD ones? or does anyone else make them to this standard?

cheers

joN

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
i really like your effort it looks amazing, was hoping you could write up a how to as i was thinking of giving it a go.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Does anyone actualy make a double RHD pillar pod? i like the 42Draft design ones as they look OEM;

However, i cant seem to find a RHD 'double pod' does anyone make one?? similar to this LHD one;

I think it looks sweet, surley they have had demand for double RHD ones? or does anyone else make them to this standard?

cheers

joN
just had a look at this photo and i dont think that is a double pod i think it is two of the below pods from awesome

A-Pillar Single Pod Grey - Mk4 Golf etc

Attaches securely to the back of the A-pillar and requires no permanent modification of the stock A-pillar trim. This is the pod only and requires gauges, made to fit the colour of your interior. Note: Not to be used on cars with airbags in A-pillar.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been after 2 of those but they're £62 each!!! I've got cream interior and have a double guage on the dash but yould prefer the oe look.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Those are some nice pods aRd, custom all the way! i like it.

Ive just found these on ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK4-NON-AIRBAG-TWIN-CUSTOM-FIT-GAUGE-POD_W0QQitemZ8045213713QQihZ019QQcategoryZ36680QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

im sure it wouldnt be too hard to just bond them to an untrimmed a post trim and then cover it in fabric eh?

might give it a whirl. [:D]

joN
JoN thats the way I did it. I bought a set of generic pods and bonded them on untrimmed a pillar and the got them retrimmed

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I've been after 2 of those but they're £62 each!!! I've got cream interior and have a double guage on the dash but yould prefer the oe look.
Woody, what I can remember of the twin pods/gauges on your dash, the look is very oem. My opinion is they look really good. Woody why don't you take a picture of them and post it on the forum.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK4-NON-AIRBAG-TWIN-CUSTOM-FIT-GAUGE-POD_W0QQitemZ8045213713QQihZ019QQcategoryZ36680QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

im sure it wouldnt be too hard to just bond them to an untrimmed a post trim and then cover it in fabric eh?

joN
JoN thats the way I did it. I bought a set of generic pods and bonded them on untrimmed a pillar and the got them retrimmed
did you use this exact item, how do you go about retrimming it cant be easy?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
it does seem rather steep for a pod doesnt it, dont get me wrong though it looks the part!

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Can anyone suggest where to get the material to retirm the a-pillar? Thought I'd ask before spending hours trawling the net :)
im thinking about re fabricating my interior with swade do all the headliner and door cards so i will use that material to cover my dials looks really nice IMO heres a few pics of a guy whos done it. not sure on what colour to go for.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would it work just buying 2 single ones? other wise why would they make a specific double.. on the pics of the LHD, the upper one looks diferent.

Im sure if you clipped the A-post trim off and took it to one of those fabric shop/cotton mill outlet things, they would have the right colour stuff and you could match it next to it.

That Alcantara roof lining looks smart, lot of work though i bet to get it looking smooth. on the first pic, the pillar trims are white,lol

them ebay double pods look favourite up to now, lots of glue and staple gun methinks [:D]

Anyone else got more pics of their pods?

·
Registered
146 Posts
My understanding is that the pods are separate, but you are right that the upper one is different. They offer a RHD version of the standard pod, but do not offer the upper/2nd pod for a RHD. Either way they are expensive.

Speaking of expense, anyone know how much aRd paid to have his a pillar retrimmed?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea i emailed 42draftdesigns and they said they havnt had any demand for a double RHD A-pillar..... [:S]

weird, i thought lots of people would have wanted them.

joN

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Would it work just buying 2 single ones? other wise why would they make a specific double.. on the pics of the LHD, the upper one looks diferent.

Im sure if you clipped the A-post trim off and took it to one of those fabric shop/cotton mill outlet things, they would have the right colour stuff and you could match it next to it.

That Alcantara roof lining looks smart, lot of work though i bet to get it looking smooth. on the first pic, the pillar trims are white,lol

them ebay double pods look favourite up to now, lots of glue and staple gun methinks [:D]

Anyone else got more pics of their pods?
im rather sure they are the same the top one only looks different because you can see more of it from the side i think they look identical.

yes retriming does sound like a big task but looking at the above photos it loos well worth it, it a really cheap but timley mod. and if you do it wrong you may have problems. im still thinking how to do it with out getting any creases. not to sure how to take the pillars and headliner off i have asked a fre people for some how to's

·
Registered
2,520 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been after 2 of those but they're ?62 each!!! I've got cream interior and have a double guage on the dash but yould prefer the oe look.
Woody, what I can remember of the twin pods/gauges on your dash, the look is very oem. My opinion is they look really good. Woody why don't you take a picture of them and post it on the forum.
I'll try and get one taken. May get a plastic one and set about retrinning it. I retrimmed the dash in my bus and was rather please with the results so worth a go IMO

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I asked them to see if you could just buy 2 sinlge RHD pods and mount them one on top of one another, his reply was basically no, but see what you make of his reply...

Jon- The RHD pods can not be modified to fit any upper fitment. The
only
thing we have would be to do a completely LHD pod set up, one lower RHD
and one lower LHD pod setup or only one lower RHD setup. Let me know if
you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Mo Cantin

42 Draft Designs
www.42DraftDesigns.com

joN

·
Registered
2,520 Posts

joN
just bought me one of thoes, will let you know what the fit is like and get some photos up,
just got them through and fitted them they are a perfect fit, they look rather cool like the dash has just been continued up the A pillar im really pleased and am not im any hurry to get them fabricated, but eventualy i will

1 - 20 of 34 Posts