Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you will know I went to have a look at an R32 in black today.

Standard 3 door, 53 plate with sunroof, no leather.

First inmpression were good, car appeared standard, alloys were excellent, with very good tyres. Car had done 12900 miles.

Prior to going to look at the car the seller described it as pristine! We agreed a price on the telephone provided the car was as described!

When we got there fortunately it wasnt raining and lighting conditions were good. The car was ok, I was willing to accept a car without full leather if the price was right.

I would probably have an R32 sat outside now if it werent for the seller b4ll5h!tting me about the conditon. The car had a car parking ding on the N/S rear 3/4 panel, and on the drivers side 3/5 panel, which apparently the seller had nevfer noticed. FFS the on on the passenger side was the size of a 50p!!! Anyway, treid to re-negociate the price, to compensate for a dent master callout! But the seller wasnt having any of it.

Why do people lie about the condition of a car to make you travel 35 miles to go see it? When they must full well know your going to get upset when its not as described!

Anyway, new autotrades out tomorrow and it free listing day on ebay. So we shall see.

I may well extend my budget to compensate, seen a minter with 5000, leatehr and sunroof, but it an 03 and the owners wants 1000 more for it!?

The hunt goes on.........

BTW, how good are dent master really?

Any1 had any expierience with them? Ta)

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Your paying that much for a car I'd hold on for a mint one, I did when I was looking for my R32 this time last year.

I'm going through exactly the same thing now trying to find an Anniversary, and I've had my fare share of cars and owners that have failed to ommit certain key details prior to going so I know how you feel.

Keep searching and you will find. I would wait until January as well, should be able to pick up a better deal due to the GTI's arrival.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Yep, hold out for the right one mate [:)]

I know all about sellers messing you about. I had a Seat dealer in Manchester describe a CupraR as 'mint' over the phone to me.. for me to spend a full day driving (3hours there) only to get there and find it scratched, scuffed, missed service intervals, and generally shoddy!

·
Registered
63 Posts
that is out of order

the seller just assumed you could be swayed if he got you to travel to view it, its hard to walk away when your set on a car imho.

good job it was only 35 miles

my advice is to up budget and go for the full leather, i know i would regret it if i hadnt got heated leather seats..mmmmmmm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the info guys.

As a guide stick does anybody know the approx trade in price on an 03, 3 door, blue with alcantra and sunroof with 6000 miles os going to be? What would the stealers offer?

Like I say i can spend x amount on the 53 with sunroof only, and 129000, or pay an extra 1000 and get an 03 , with alcantatra, sunroof and 5000 miles.

Personally I cant really justify the 1000 difference bearing the age difference in mind!?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Wizkid - I reckon there's actually quite a few around.

Obviously the stealers will say different but for the money you're looking to spend, I'm convinced you can find a very nice R32 with toys.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Quote: posted by thewizkid on 25/11/2004 09:49:09

Judging by the trade value at the moment, I'd of thought private sellers would be biting my hand off for the cash!

Well I have an 04 one which will be going up for sale it's got 15K on the clock and a few weeks ago my local dealer offered me ?19K trade for it, thats for a car without leather as well...

So if your budget is still only ?19K that would explain why your hands still in tact! A lot of private sellars don't want to just give the car away.

IMHO of course!

Good luck with the search I'm sure the right car will come along.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Buy you time mate, dont rush into anything. Without starting a war with R32 owners you will find exactly what you are looking for with some searching. There seem to be more and more coming on to the market with the cost of fuel and fuel consumption and lack of any real performace.

My local dealer has one, in back and its a dog. (Euro Canterbury) It looks like its driven behind a gritter lorry all its life, every wheel is curbed and its up for ?21495. I wouldnt pay ?15k for it !

You are doing the right thing by holding fire.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Hold out, there seem to be plenty to choose from - Autorader is listing 86 of them at present. Get the one you want at a good price and you will be chuffed for ages, its definetly worth perservering.

Glasses online says an 03 3 Door with 12k:

Retail: ?21,000

Trade-in values

Mint:?18,800

Fair:?17,250

Poor:?15,700

·
Registered
141 Posts
Definately try and get a sunroof (took me ages to find a 1.8T with a roof), they lighten the interior of the car and are great open on a bright sunny winters day, plus it's one option that is virtually impossible to retro-fit

·
Registered
697 Posts
Quote: posted by Mikedav on 25/11/2004 11:00:15

Hold out, there seem to be plenty to choose from - Autorader is listing 86 of them at present. Get the one you want at a good price and you will be chuffed for ages, its definetly worth perservering.

Glasses online says an 03 3 Door with 12k:

Retail: ?21,000

Trade-in values

Mint:?18,800

Fair:?17,250

Poor:?15,700

Man those prices are poor ! Maybe I should be thinking of offloading my R now b4 i loose too much!!!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Otto,

don;t worry theres still plenty of interest for the R out there, the fact theres only 86 (according to Mike) show that the number for sale is dropping.

Wasn't that long ago when there was about 120 for sale!

J.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by marriedblonde on 25/11/2004 17:50:58

don;t worry theres still plenty of interest for the R out there, the fact theres only 86 (according to Mike) show that the number for sale is dropping. Wasn't that long ago when there was about 120 for sale!

It was 54 a few weeks ago...I would say there is a steady flow for people who want one. BUT as you say there will always be people who want Rs and crucially I am certain good ones will getter harder to come by - there seems to be plenty of used and abused examples out there from none enthusiasts that have been binned for the next latest thing. We've all see one that looks like its been an Avis car.

Thus MKIV forum owners cars, treated as they are, will always be in demand? Thats my feeling anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi guys,

an quick update.

As some of you will know my TT went on Tuesday, hence no car!

I desperately, needed a car, looked at a couple of R32s, not impressed with the condition of them as I am a perfectionist!

I have decided to opt for a VW black basic spec MK 5 GTi! Delivery should be back end of Jan, hopefully, although that probably means April. Went for an import, paid my deposit! I await.

In the mean time I've just picked up a runner.

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport with full bodykit and leather! Under 2000 miles, 04 plate was a bargain too good to be missed. I paid trade price for it, and its outside now! So come January, the car wont have depreciated and I'll be able to get back my money on it with 3000 extra miles when it'll then have 5000 miles! It actually is a very very good car, well impressed.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote: posted by Mikedav on 25/11/2004 18:01:43

Thus MKIV forum owners cars, treated as they are, will always be in demand? Thats my feeling anyway.

I wholeheartedly agree. After all that's how I bought my car....enthusiasts forums everytime[;)]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.