Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Uk mkivers , driving to work this morning and came to a roundabout near to where I live, as I was going round it (im note sure of exact speed, but I think I must have been going to fast If im being honest, I think about 35 ish, it was a large 2 laned roundabout - oh also it was raining) I appeared to loose control, 2 doughnuts laters come to a halt, not hit a thing, not even the kerbs of the roundabout and sat there facing the on coming traffic which saw me loose it and slowed down and stopped [:$] - I pooed my pants to be honest but I rememberd to turn into the skid (Just realised what this line sounds like!!) which I think may have helped me from ending up down the embankment.

Anyways - learnt my lesson, not to go too fast round roundabouts.

getting myself a hot cup of tea now - that will makes things better!!!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
The main thing is that you're ok, I had an escape similar to this a couple of years ago in my parents car, scary feeling!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I went to my local VW service centre yesterday and nearly ran over my account manager in the car park, I was in my work car, and reverse gear is in the diagonally opposite position to where it is on my Golf! Oops [:D]

·
Registered
569 Posts
Has your car not got ESP ? Thought this would have stopped such a drastic loss of control , that is if all other things are ok .. Tyres etc .

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
ESP, As far as i'm aware, only controls the power going to the front wheels and has nothing to do with the brakes, as far as im aware. Doughnuts are very strange in a fwd car, maybe there was diesel on the road, I once hit some and that was a very brown moment!
Or maybe if you touched the brakes momentarily mid turn and the brake bias valve is slightly out of kilta?!

God knows! Best thing is that you are ok and so is the dub fortunately!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sean .. ESP controls engine output , brakes and yaw (attitude) of the car and can stop loss of control even on ice or snow , it can adjust power and brake each wheel independently , also reads the speed of each wheel relevant to each other and steering angle , so the car should not have totally spun if it was working correctly .

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well - as soon as i felt the car go I pulled it out of gear , didnt press any pedals and started to turn into the skid until we came to a halt!!! my car doesnt have esp, the button is ASR, its a 2001 pd115, my dads is newer than mine  and has ESP button which i think you guys are talking about (2003 pd130). is asr a similar kind of thing then??

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Glad to hear ya ok mate ,

but must ask why did ya knock it out of gear , doing that makes the car free roll ....if ya no what i mean ( no wheel resistance in oposite direction) , and leaves ya no chance of gaining control of the car until ya come to a final stop

·
Registered
569 Posts
ASR ( Anti Slip Regulation ) is an earlier less complicated version of ESP , it can cut engine power , and apply the brakes but doesn't have as many sensors around the car , ie wheel speed + steering angle , so is less effective .

·
Registered
432 Posts
well - as soon as i felt the car go I pulled it out of gear , didnt press any pedals
D'oh....Leave it in gear and keep power to the wheels - turn in with more power and you'll get understeer or oversteer depending on the car. My car confuses me as the suspension is standard, but seems to oversteer more than understeer - i just opposite steer a bit and put a bit more power on when it happens to me

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yeah, should NEVER knock it out of gear (any car) with a front wheel drive car if you lose the back, if you can catch it quick enough the thing to do is turn into the skid and give it full power to pull the car back in line .

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for that guys - to be honest - i dont know why I pulled it out of gear - I just reacted and thats what I did!! I was crapping it. but at least i know what to do next time - but hopefully, there wont be a next time!!!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If you lose the back end in a front wheel drive car! Turn in and give power to the front (but don't spin); and pray to god the front pulls the arse out of it!!!

I lost the back end twice in my clio! Only actually managed to do this once though (and I think that was a fluke!), the other time I sh|t-out and spun off into oblivion! [:$]

But my golf is a pig for understeer!!! you sort of get used to letting off the throttle!!! Tempting to put some bald tires on the back - and go practice oversteer in a wet car-park!!! [*-)]

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
well - as soon as i felt the car go I pulled it out of gear , didnt press any pedals and started to turn into the skid until we came to a halt!!! my car doesnt have esp, the button is ASR, its a 2001 pd115, my dads is newer than mine and has ESP button which i think you guys are talking about (2003 pd130). is asr a similar kind of thing then??
Ive got a 2000 Bora 115pd with just the ASR button, but the ESP is built into that program, maybe its not called ESP as such?, i have nailed it round a roundabout many times to see what it was about to get use to the feel, i had my foot flat in second gear, it limits the speed in which you can turn and anything i tried i could not get no understeer or any tyre squeal.Also you can see the ASR light flashing on dash when it is active. Going on the conditions on what you said there is no chance you could of span it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts