Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive noticed that i get a knock sound when i press the footbrake, it seems to come from the front passenger side wheel and i can only hear it with the windows down.. The brakes dont judder or pull to the left or right when applied.. so i am a little puzzled as to what this could be.. anyone any ideas???

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i bought my pads from halfrauds and i checked 4/5 times that they were the right ones, my mate fitted them and they fitted ok...

my suspension makes noises anyway because of the daily abuse of speed bumps in my area so its hard to tell if its making the noise over a bump.

·
Registered
108 Posts
How about checking to see if the shims were fitted when the brake pads were last replaced. As these sit between the pad and the caliper if they weren't put back it would give an effect like this.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It's nothing to worry about, the knock is the pad settling against the carrier as the brakes are applied. It will always happen to some degree and may not always be noticeable.

The pads are not 'the wrong size' they're simply a bit smaller so will move around more in the caliper. Anti-squeal shims won't stop the pad moving laterally either.

You've checked the right things, i.e. does the car pull to one side & are the pads worn out.

HTH

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I get the exact same thing, doesn't do it when you apply the brakes when im stationary, it started when i had my discs and pads changed
yes i tested mine when stationary and it doesnt do it, but start moving then brake and there is the knock.. i had my pads changed back in the spring..

·
Registered
487 Posts
yea i've got that aswell. just given it in to fontain to get it checked out. Ill let you know the outcome once i find my bloody locking wheel nut key :(. they said it might be something to do with the brake pad springs or something?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Note to self: Don't buy brake pads from Halfrauds.

What's wrong with VW!! Brakes are erm important!!!

My mate bought the correct pads for his Primera to find they weren't even close to fitting. There guide was wrong!!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i had to buy them from halfrauds as iam poor at the mo while iam studing.. so i thought halfrauds brakes or no brakes at all... actually i dont think they were halfrauds own brand its the other one the stock i bought.... i think...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts