Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a salesman who is based at home ( about 130 miles from the office ). He's on a good ( read mid to high 5 figure ) salary.

2 years ago, I find out that he was selling Spanish property on the side ( his photo was on a Spanish propoerty website ) and he had his knuckles wrapped, the MD believing he was invaluable to our business so wouldn't sack him. [:mad:]

In March, I went to his house and he showed me the promotional DVD for his property business - very nice..and I guess it pays some way toward the new 7 series on his drive.

Recently, I have been receiving complaints from his customers that they can never get hold of this salesman...and neither can we...

So I check his mobile 'phone bill

This year, he has had 46 days holiday so far. 21 days in Spain, 14 days in USA, 2 in France, 1 in Italy and 8 in Bulgaria. On this basis, he'll have another 25 by the year end, making over 70 days.

We are only allowed 20 days holiday including Xmas.

So I tell the boss and he says " oh " and thats about it...

So, what would you do ? I'm really pee'd off by it - I slog my guts out and he gets paid a bloody fortune, swans round in a new 7 series and it seems that no matter what wrng he does, nothing is done about it by the MD.

Should I just take 30 days holiday in the next 4 months or what ?

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we are 15 in the UK - turning over ?60 million. Our group is 6000 eomplyees, turning over US $2 billion.

The guy in question is 42 - there are no targets set for salesman to acheive.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
If your boss can't be arsed to do anything about it then you're wasting energy, the guy sounds like a waste of space. Start looking for a new job dude...

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Well the cream comes to the top but shite floats. We have a guy similar to this in our office and by the sounds of things we are in the same size of company.

The thing is that sales people like this know how to kiss ass, and a lot of the time, they are best buddies with the big boss and are able to use the salesmans skills to pull the wool over the top mgt and directors eyes.

To be honest you are best not to get wound up by the guy as hard as it might be as there will be more like him and you will only make yourself look bad trying to get him in to trouble.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
sounds like he is taking the pee big time

he must have to prove the hours he does do with your company ....how can he do that if he isnt in the counrty half the time , sounds more like he is promoting his property company more than he does any work for yours

i would phone the inland revenue and get his earning looked into as im sure ya cant work for a company and run a seperate business (unless you own part of tat comany )

or

go to tescos and buy a 2 litre bottle of coke and give his bemma a coke wash [;)]

mine you i bet thats leased and prob not his

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am the company's commercial manager and I have no targets either - the problem in our company is that we can only sell what our parent company decides to let us have - we have no control over the price nor the available quantity.

I don't think that this guy has anything on our MD - I'm pretty sure that the MD just can't be bothered to do anything about it. It was his decision to hire the guy about 6 or 7 years ago ( inspite of him having a bad reputation in our industry ) and I guess that he doesn't like to be wrong. All of our other directors ( another 5 I think ) are based in our HQ in Greece.

Jason, yep - the car is leased. Last yesterday he had a CLK, the year before he had a Cayenne, and the year before that an S-class. Prior to that, he was in the company car scheme with a 320 coupe. All of our customers have complained that we must be fleecing them when this guy arrives in his ?50+K car - he has even tried ( and with some success ) selling most of them property.

Its not good & gets on my jumper bunnies

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I've had colleagues like that, sailing on a sea of BS, it's a waste of mental capacity to try to do anything about it yourself. If it's having a direct impact on your professional image then you need to have it out with him, otherwise the best thing you can do is remind yourself that you have a wife and son which are way better than his flash cars and crap, do your own job well to show him up more and eventually, even though it may take time, he'll dig his own grave. Trust me [;)]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Tut tut, the poor guy will end up on the streets, penniless, and it'll be all your fault, I hope you feel pleased with yourself [:D]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I see you have 4 options:

1. say nothing and get more and more frustrated

2. Leak this info to all your colleagues.

3. Go to your bosses boss.

4. Get into the property business yourself - if you cannot beat them join them.

Personally I would do a combo of 2 and 3, both informally.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
the MD is consulting our lawyers[:|]
If he's a sales guy that isn't given targets, how is his performance assessed? Going to be pretty tricky to get rid of the guy I would imagine...cheaply anyway. We have had sales people at my place in the past that have targets, didn't meet them and it still cost a fortune to get rid of.

As an accountant, sales people that don't perform I have a real problem with and we have a fair few leeches here too.

Oh and contrary to an above post, you can have a full time employed job and also run a company...as long as you're declaring the tax on both.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Would be easy to sack the guy - it is a clear breach of contract going on 70 days holiday when you are only allowed 20.  In fact I would dock his salary for those days too.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts