Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Budget of ?7,000. Would like a black 3 door, guess a 2.0 GTi or TDi would be the best bet (dont think insurance will go for a 1.8 Turbo) been lookin but there seems to be somethin not quite right with what i find. Want to go through trade (need the gaurantee and dont trust myself to go street and want to part exchange my polo) mt post code is LS29 so feel free to scope out auto trader.

Need to find one ASAP, Polo is costin me money every week (gear box, wheel bearing, tracking - only 43,000)

Cheers guys

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Coming from a 2.0 GTI, yes its a great car however if you really can stretch to the 1.8t insurance wise GET ONE!!!

- I am suffering now with the 2.0 engine, had it too years and is too slow for my needs hence why I am saving for a mk5 gti.

7k will get you a really nice one, 6k will too and the 1k you save you can stick towards insurance etc.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
1.8T would be a good car but a PD115 with a Revo chip will be very entertaining too mate and also give you 45mpg or around that.

Go for the GTI Turbo and be a sheep like the rest of us [:p]

Baahhhhhh David

·
Registered
682 Posts
Looks like a nice car from the pic's mate,i like the black and red interior. Make sure its got a good service history,maybe worth getting it checked out by the AA/RAC,unless youre pretty clued up on Golfs? If its a good'un,and you like it...buy it and enjoy. Might be worth pricing insurance for a 1.8T though,as they are a lot more pokey to drive. Paul.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
about ?500 ontop for a 1.8 T, bit daft when a 2.0 GTi is ?700. seems to be plenty of happy 2.0 owners on here, [:D]will scope it out on Friday, along with another one (2000, 47,000, black 3 dr gti, ?6995 - Good?)

Thanks for the feedback folks, will keep you posted.

·
Registered
646 Posts
having had a 2.0 for last 18 months (albeit Bora, as a company car) after my tdi130.

I would either go for the TDI or 18T. The 2.0 needs to be thrashed completely to make any

rapid progress, and returns relativeley poor mpg with a light foot.

That said mine was completely reliable depsite daily punishment, and got 130

out of it on the autobahn on the Wolfsburg trip the forum did Nov 2003. In fact not

that far off some of the 1.8Ts [;)]

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would go for a 115TDI(or even a 110) over a 2.0; quicker and much more economical. The TDIs would be more expensive to buy but you would re-coup the extra outlay. I would certainly drive some TDIs. A mate runs a standard 115TDI and it's quicker in the mid-range than my 1.8T..here's some for sale..

2000 W VOLKSWAGEN GOLF,

67,000 miles, . 1.9 GTi TDi PD, 115 BHP Diesel, Manual 6 speed, Black Metallic, 5 Doors, MOT-03-06. alloy wheels, ABS, 6CD AutoChanger,AC,RCL,EW,power steering. FSH, VGC. ?7,400.

Tel:07749 214670

2000 W Reg VOLKSWAGEN Golf 1.9 GTi TDI 115

3 Doors, Manual 6 speed, Hatchback, 45,000 miles, Metallic Green, 2 Owners. Air-Conditioning, Alarm, Alloys, Body Coloured Bumpers, Central Door Locking, Driver Air Bag, Electric Adjustable Mirror, Front Fog Lights, Immobilizer, In Car Entertainment, Passenger Air Bag, Power-Assisted Steering, ABS, CD, Full service history, Side airbags, Sports seats. All usual dealer facilities ?7,495.

Tel: 01270 210000

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The 2.0 is fine, I'm really enjoying mine, but it depends what you want to do. I am in my 30s now so I've started to slow down[xx(] but a 1.8T would be a better choice for razzing around.

I wouldn't worry about only buying from a garage, look at private ones and get the RAC to do a survey before buying one you really like. Once you've bought it then get a third party warranty from someone like Warrenty Direct: http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk/ which covers the majority of parts and covers parts not directly covered if broken by a covered part. This type of warranty is better than the three/six months garages have to offer to cover themselves.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
and me, bought mine private 2 years ago, never had any problems with it.

Am selling it now to make way for next Golf. 7.5k just

on your budget (see the classifieds) and I'm from Leeds aswell.

think I'd get a job as a salesman?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
You could sell the Polo privately as well, you'd probably get better money for it. But it can turn out to be a pain in the but, advertising seeing buyers etc.

·
Registered
737 Posts
What about this one...?

2001 51 Reg VOLKSWAGEN Golf 2.0 GTi

3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 31,000 miles, Metallic Black, 1 Owner. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Climate control, Computer, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Electric sunroof, Front armrest, Head restraints, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Side airbags, Radio/CD, Rear headrests, Sports seats, Traction control. Insurance Group:10, Full VW Service History, UK dealer supplied.Finance Facilities Available.

Located; Bramall Lane, Sheffield City Centre S2 4QZ ?7,950.

Loxley VehiclesDealer's Website

Tel: 0845 6582200

Price: ?7,950

1 - 18 of 18 Posts