Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, not to sound thick but i just wanna get stuf straight about xenons before i get myself some:

Whats the difernce in Xenons and Hid's? i have been told

a) Xenons are definatley brighter than Hid's.

b) there the same, just different names, and

c) they are similar but the wiring is different

Are the 'retro-fit' kits the ones what everybody sells on ebay cheap, i.e. universal kits? i gather OEM kits are rather dear. Is there a lot of difference between these two?

Will Hid/Xenon kits actualy fit into my headlamp or do i need new headlamp clusters to take them?

A lot of them on ebay etc for just over 100quid all look very impressive but are there any kits to stay well away from?

Also does everyone stay around the 6000K mark? i know i have seen 12000K, even 30000K!.

cheers

joN

·
Registered
6 Posts
hid are great kits, they give the idea of xenon but aren't quite as bright

6000k are fine anything higher is silly, you will be losing light. They will be a nice blue but also nice and bright. I know thas what you after, everyone is

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Sounds like you may have been talking to a mate of mine who makes stuff up as he goes along.

HID = High Intensity Discharge - they give off a gas.

Xenon = high intensity gas discharge bulbs. You won't find the word xenon anywhere in official VW parts catalogues as far as I can remember.

Wiring is nothing to do with whether they are xenon or not. It depends on your car and even the year of your car but they need extra parts and therefore need extra wiring to run. So when you think about it when you change something electrical on your car....... the wiring is part of the change.

A retro fit is a completely different thing to what most people think. A retro fit would be for example taking the HID units out of maybe a Merc or BMW etc etc and cutting up the VW housing and fitting the parts in. So the housing still fits on your car. The OEM HIDs are about £1500 from the dealers. Try german ebay and you'll find a set or 2 for less on there. The kits on ebay are only a sort of half HID. They include the bulbs and the ignitors/ballasts to make the bulbs work but if you put them in a halogen headlight housing, the beam pattern and glare is all a bit hit and miss and usually miss to be honest. They won't even be close to as crisp as an OEM unit. You can also get cheap projector headlight housings but this is a case where you really do get what you pay for. Stay away from FK as I've heard of about 10 stories of them failing or breaking in the last month or so.

A cheap set of HIDs is usually a bad set (but not in all cases).

Bulbs - Proper HID bulbs are between £40 and £100 each and have they're good and bad makes as well. Stick with the big names and you'll be fine - most people go for 6000K because they have a blue tint to them and some would say they look good. This is to do with the temperature of the bulb. 6000K, however, are not the brightest. Around 4500K to 5000K are the whitest and the brightest bulbs for HIDs. As the numbers get higher, the temperature goes up, the colours change and the lumenescence goes down (YES, they get dimmer). 10000K is a sort of indigo/purpley sort of tint. 12000K is violet and the light output is appalling. I've never heard of 30000K but I'm sure they'd be just the job if you want to see nothing and melt your headlights. As a friend of mine recently told me a man came to his garage with 2 shattered projectors on an A4 because he used the wrong bulbs. He thought they'd get brighter with a high number of 'Ks' and instead got no light improvement, too much temperature and a hefty bill for the headlights to be fixed.

My advice is to save up an extra few quid and have a look around for second hand OEM jobs and you never know you might get a deal. Remember that you're looking for RHD ones so don't get caught out.

Baz

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Baz you have cleared a few things up there, to be honest i was going to just buy some better headlamp bulbs (i.e. hid 'style') for 20 quid but them 100 quid kits do look pretty good on ebay and www.xenonlightsource.com, so i fancied one of them, its bound to be better isnt it?

infact a ebayer named 'Genuine_auto' is on there, and im sure i have seen him on here. Has anybody bought a kit off him??

a mate of mine has an ebay kit on his clio with angle-eye/projector headlamps and his look wicked! exactly the same if not brighter than my mates Skyline Xenons, i think he paid 200 though [^o)] i'll av a think

cheers

joN

·
Registered
191 Posts
My advice is to save up an extra few quid and have a look around for
second hand OEM jobs and you never know you might get a deal. Remember
that you're looking for RHD ones so don't get caught out.
Ive
been looking for second hand OEM Bora HIDs for a while now but
unfortunately ive never had any luck. Is there anywhere you could
recommend i take a look?

I was speaking to a mate of mine and he
wondered if it was not possible to just purchase the OEM Bora HID
casing and fit everything else to it? Would the beam pattern go to hell
doing that?

I wouldnt mind finding out the answer to this

Cheers

Richard

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think that I've managed to find a cheap way of getting the bare xenon headlamp unit for about £170 inc. vat, and then I'm planning on using the ballasts from the HID kit I got in the group buy on here. The levelling motors are about £26 each from the stealers and I've managed to get some D2S burners off a mate who has upgraded the ones in his car. So as soon as I have the spare cash I'll be ordering a pair of lamps.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
I have the housings, and igniters and just need the control units.

I'm going all oem.

Baz

·
Registered
191 Posts
Baz your going to need to write up a DIY on how to start from scratch
because the majority of us Bora drivers dont have many other choices!

·
Registered
137 Posts
my opinon:

i got some HID on my golf its a 8000k kit,

now what you got to remember is not all HID kits are the same with the same light discharge . i.e my 8000k is like maybe anotehr brands 6000k kit.

the best one for light/visibility is the 4000k bright super white anything over 6000k you loosing visibility/light but i want a slight icey blue look thats why hence the 8000k.

now the only thing that will be replaced is he bulbs to HID ones the ballast will be either put on the back of you headlights on elsewhere on the car. its the same bulb fitment H7.

Now xenon are bright but what gives them the bluey effect its not the bulbs bit the rings around the projector. bi-xenon meaning low beam and Hi beam.

hope my opinon helps i read up on it before i got mine.

thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have the housings, and igniters and just need the control units.I'm going all oem.Baz
Baz, don't forget you're going to need all the self levelling sensors too if you are going for the full monty.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Yip i have all my part numbers and what car's they're in sussed out but I may wire it to my manual levellers for a while until I get a few more quid and parts gathered up. I'm selling both sets of my wheels at the minute to fund some other crap.

Baz

P.S. a simple DIY would be get a load of cash gathered up and a load of contacts and spend a few months looking for the parts. Unfortunately they're aren't too many easy ways around getting these parts but i'll have a full review of my car after I get a few more things sorted.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Amazing how it's all coming together.

Just got a genuine Ballast for one of them for £44. VW price is something like £200.

Baz

·
Registered
191 Posts
Damn Baz,

It really sounds like its coming together quite the
thing. I always wondered if it was possible and at the moment your
making it look easy!

If your HID Bora Xenons are a success, your going to need to do it all over again and give me a price for them [;)][Y]

Richard

·
Registered
145 Posts
ECS do the oem xenons for the golf for 850. Only problem is they are LHD (im assuming). What are the mechanical differences?

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
The housings are the only difference. Unfortunately they're the main and most expensive part.

Baz

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Just got the other ballast for £48 this time. [Y]

Baz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts