Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Light wasn't too good and I did want to risk using the flash too much [:$] Not bad for the first time I've used the camera... I think!

(Click for larger pics)

It highlights too things for me... 1. I need a zoom lense 2. the kit lens isn't up to much!

Apart from that using the camera on its basic settings does provide some good shots. Most of the above were taken using portrait mode to make the subject stand out.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Picture 1 is my favourite, as it really exaggerates the pointy nose of the Concord from that perspective, well done!  I also reckon a silhouetted version of this same picture would turn out pretty nice too!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Ah yes Spot Metering. The 20D doesn't do that...

Oh well photoshop it is!
Mark,

Experiment with the different metering options, there are 3 in total on
your 20D; evaluative, partial & centre weighted average. I'd say if
you're after a silhoette then maybe try evaluative & step down the
f a stop to underexpose the foreground, i.e. the nose of concorde.

However, the best tip anyone can give you is go play and try the same
shot with different modes/settings. At least when you then look back
you can call up the camera's data and see the settings you used.

Btw, metering modes are on p71 of your 20D instruction book, or they are in mine[;)]

Have fun!!!!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah yes Spot Metering. The 20D doesn't do that...

Oh well photoshop it is!
Mark,

Experiment with the different metering options, there are 3 in total on your 20D; evaluative, partial & centre weighted average. I'd say if you're after a silhoette then maybe try evaluative & step down the f a stop to underexpose the foreground, i.e. the nose of concorde.
However, the best tip anyone can give you is go play and try the same shot with different modes/settings. At least when you then look back you can call up the camera's data and see the settings you used.
Btw, metering modes are on p71 of your 20D instruction book, or they are in mine[;)]
Have fun!!!!
Haven't got to page 71 yet [:$] Will read up on the different modes, I just remember seeing that Spot Metering isn't supported when looking to buy the camera!

First time I've played so bear with me [:p]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Another way to achieve a balanced shot in that situation would be to:-

Use a tripod to set up your chosen composition, then either take two shots exactly the same (one metered for the details of the underside of the aircraft, the other for the brighter sky behind), or set up auto-bracketing at something like a stop above and below (the camera will take 3 shots, one at the cameras own derived settings, then one under and over by the amount you have set up, automatically).

Another option in some circumstances would be to use filters to balance exposure.

You should now have two shots, one correctly exposing the aircraft, the other the sky behind. Overlay one over the other in Photoshop and remove the bad bits from the overlayed image, exposing parts of the one underneath. Both the plane and sky will look spot on.

This is only one way you can achieve this, there usually are a myriad of ways to get a end result in Photoshop.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Totally love the first and last. If it wasn't for the bit of wooden fence at the bottom of the first shot, the second shot as a whole, and the red and white chain in the last, you could believe these were standing on a real runway rather than being on display. Would getting closer and using a super-wide get the same shots without those?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts