Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

A couple of shots.....

2K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  hz2921 
#1 ·
Ok following on from the "weekend weather" post, here are a few pics of me car..........
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then a shot of the sunlight DIRECTLY on the bonnet.....Swirl free[^][^]

Posted Image

Any comments welcome....

See less See more
#7 ·
curley:Its all in the correct procedure for correcting any defects in the paintwork..i.e s electing right polish with pad, correct wax with pad, correct machine speed, not polishing to a dry buff etc etc....

When i picked up the vehicle it had been through many car washes,which had inflicted scratches,swirls etc to the paintwork so i spent 18hrs on the major panels just correcting these.....

Having been in the valeting business for 10yrs now, and having being taught by the best i have quite a good ability to produce outstanding results on most paint's, athough every visit to the states i learn more and more[^][^][^]

#13 ·
Have to say its dissapointing not sharing the techniques you use. Rather defeats the object of being a member of this place or posting the pics right?

Anyway, its how you make your living so i can understand why you may not want every tom Richard and harry knowing about it.

Its not the shine that impresses me the most its the removal of the swirls, good work that.

#17 ·
Oxford: I shall tell you my procedure without hesitation.

1: Washed car with Hyperwash,dryed with water magnet.

2: De-tared vehicle.

3: Then applyed megs #80 speed glaze with a w8006 pad @ 4.5 on the pc

4: Took car into direct sunlight to highlight any swirls/defects in paintwork.

5: Used megs #83 to remove micro marring on the pc with a w8006 pad @ 3.5.

6: re apply #80 to these panels.

7: Back into direct sunlight to inspect.

8: Had to re apply #83 to a couple of panels, but this time with a w7006 pad @ 4.0,as the w8006 didnt quite do the job.

9: re applyed #80 to these panels.

10: Back into direct sunlight to inspect.

11: Applyed megs# 16 with a w9006 pad @ 3.5 on the pc.

12: HAD A BEER WHILE I WAITED FOR THE WAX TO CURE.[^][^][^].

13: Removed #16 with a ultimate wipe bonnet on a w8006 pad @ 3 on the pc.

14: Used an ultimate wipe as a second wipe.

All the products used were buffed off wet, with the excption of the #16....

I would like to have gone over with #7 just to get that wet look, but the missis was not having non of that....[:(]

Anyone tom Richard or harry could do this..But it takes a expert to obtain these results without harming paintwork...

Thats why valeting business are still around...Rectifying other people's attempts...

#18 ·
That?s more like it! [:)] Just what I wanted to hear and I thank you for taking the time to post it.

The swirl marks are the toughies as apparent by your procedure and I think as indicated not everyone would be able to do such things. I for one would be hesitant to use an electric polisher on my paintwork without supervision or watching someone that has done it before. - I bet you can really mess it up! lol

I think once the swirls are removed I could maintain them, its just getting them out!

Thanks again mate

My car has done some 130,000 miles now, which is why it could benefit. Hand Glaze covers them well, however deep down it has issues!

Out of interest, how much would a "de-swirl" cost?

#19 ·
Oxford: From ?100,thro to ?200, pending on the car...can take anything from 8 hrs to 16 hrs to get a flawless finish.....Get saving buddy then give us a call[;)]

By the way an electric polishing machine that oscillates is not to difficult to use without doing damage, but will not remove swirls easily...A Rotary machine is needed for this, which is a dangerous machine in an inexperienced persons hands.

#20 ·
Can see it would take a lot of time etc due to your list! - not bad considering the effort that is put in and that 100-200 quid is easily spent removing some dents or deep scratches.

If I was keeping the car I would without hesitation, I got to save my pennies for the new GTI! [:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.