Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I think I've decided to order a 2.0TDI in tornado red (see the pic in "choosing a colour" thread). I just have a couple of queeries that the sales man couldnt help me out with.

What is the difference between the midline and highline computers?

Can I get steering wheel mounted radio controls on a TDI?

Which is the best audio option? If you have the options with a 6 disk changer instead of only the single, is there any improvement in the actual head unit sound quality? Is the "volkswagen sound pack" any good, whatever it is!?

Any replys would really be appreciated as I'm almost certainly heading to the dealers tomorrow. I'll be aiming for about a 10% new car dicount. Think this is unreasonable?

·
Registered
261 Posts
The highline comp has a bigger screen (if u have an MFD2(Satnav) it shows directions on it) It also allows you to change certain settings, like how long the coming home lights stay on for, which doors open when u press the remote button and a whole bunch of other stuff, for the ?45 extra I think its worth it (I ordered it!)

You can't get steering wheel mounted radio controls on the TDI (I think u can with an import? Its not an option on the UK TDI), though it can be retrofitted (U need to change a canbus module)

Best audio option? Well depends what u wanna do! I have ordered the RCD300 and will be adding a dension icelink ipod adapter. I personally thought the 6 CD changer was too expensive especially since there is no MP3 support. There wont be any improvement in sound quality whether u have the 6 cd changer or not, however I dont know how each one compares with each other. The specs for them are very similar if u look on the Blaupunkt site. The soundpack apparantly has an amp and uprated speakers, but I beleive its not a very powerful amp.

Not sure about discounts, I'm getting mine be through a company lease! Speaking of which, it will be arriving next Friday! Can't wait!

Hope that helps! Let us know what you finnaly settle on!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh almost forgot, I would recommend getting the centre armrest, its definately worth it! Without it there, it looks like somethings missing!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am definately getting the centre arm rest. I've turned down some nice deals on almost new TDI's because of a lack of arm rest. I'ts a bit of a standing joke between myself and the wife and friends. They thinks its becuase I'm a lazy SOB...and they would be right!

Any other options anyone thinks are must haves?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Other options on the TDI?

I like the cruise control which came on my TDI. Didn't think I'd use it but I use it a lot so might be worthwhile adding that.

Highline comp & armrest defo get them. If you are the type of person who keeps a lot of stuff/junk in the car then get the storage pack, only ?35 for two under seat storage bins - way more to get later on.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Hi Shifty, I like your colour choice, its no extra cost too unlike rip-off metallics.

Defo get the armrest and highline. Winter pack is a must for me as it has those wonderful heated seats which are so pleasant to use on all but really hot days. All the more so on a diesel car as the heater will take longer to warm up than a petrol car.

Max discount seems to be 9.5% but its not easy to find someone who will give you that much. there is an earlier thread on this from not long ago and might be worth tracking down that dealer. If you are after this big discount its essential to have your options choices made before entering the showroom, that way you can work out all the figures at home and just go in and tell them the deal you want. It will then be a simple yes or no answer. Are you trading in?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
It was VW Derby and VW Guildford where the biggest discounts were offered to Dmonk. The actual discount was around ?2,200 on a very high spec car (?23k).

Shifty - let me know what you find as I may be tempted to order a new one at 9.5% off.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Regarding discounts available, I have just ordered mine (3dr GT TDi - delivered on Sunday, cant wait !); and am pretty pleased with the discount.

The list on the car is ?18,200; plus ?395 for metalic, plus ?595 for Grand Prix alloys - total RRP = ?19190

I got the whole lot for ?17900 - a saving of ?1290 which I am very happy with, making a discount of just short of 8%

The price I got it for is certainly much better than the What Car target price; which is what I used as my negotiation point (take in a copy of What Car, show them the Target Price; and also prices from Brokers)

·
Registered
141 Posts
ShiftyDriver, it only costs ?250 or so to retrofit the arm rest, so it might be worth re-visiting those deals if they were that good? (ok, so the rear vents won't actually blow any air, but it looks factory fit..)

Sounds like you might be paying way more for a new one just to specify an arm rest, when you could add one fairly cheaply and save thousands on the cost of a new one?

?150 or so for a factory fit job, or ?250 for a retrofit. I reckon you'd be saving way more than ?100 on a nearly new/ex stock vehicle without an arm rest...

Just a thought...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK guys, I've ordered it:

Golf Mk5 2.0 TDI 5 door.

Tornado Red

Estorils

Arm Rest

Highline Computer

Luxuary matts front and rear

Mud Flaps

Front spoiler fitted and colour coded

Rear valance colour coded.

OTR ?18500. I think that was a pretty good deal.

See the pic of the Red TDI in the "choosing a colour" thread. Exactly the same as the one I've ordered. There are so many black and silver golfs around my area, I thought I'd go for something a bit different.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Excellent choice of wheels!

But how much did you get off, its difficult to work out as colour coding is not a factory option?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Should have been ?19995. Fitting the spoiler and colour coding the rear valance and spoiler should have been ?800. They charged me ?560 for it. So I guess if you take in to account the real price of fitting, the total before discount would have been ?20235.

A healthy discount from a dealer who is definately not struggling for sales. So I'm quite happy. My salesman had sold 13 cars this week. There are 8 salesman!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mark V - gutted that you've forgotten my excellent buying powers and credited Redcup [:(] - i'll forgive m8 !

Shifty - mudflaps ? Sure it isn't the 4x4 ?[;)]

The wife had mudflaps once..but thats another story

·
Registered
40 Posts
Shifty..seems like you have ordered a gr8 looking car. Was tempted by Estorils myself..What delivery is the stealer offering ?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its a delivery time of 10-12 weeks. Slight chance it might be sooner. He said its because of demand for the Estoril alloys!

dmonk, thanks for the mail with your order attached. I printed it off and took that and the dealers along with the deals I had from the internet brokers. He got within a couple of hundred quid of the best prices so I was quit saticfied. I think he found your order a bit confusing but couldnt argue with the amount of discount. I know mudflaps seems a bit old man ish, and I wouldnt have ever considered them until I saw them on the car. Seemed to make the car look lower that the norman TDI it was parked beside, and helps to keep her looking shiney!

Anyway...I'm chuffed!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The 'Estoril' alloys just look superb on the Mk V. I have had mine on for a week or so now and they have transformed the look of the car. The original wheels with 12,000 miles on them sold for ?420!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just order my 2.0 TDI today. Got about an 8% discount.

Laser Blue with Blue Siempre Cloth

17 inch Indianapolis with full size spare wheel

Cruise Control

Highline Computer

RCD 500 with indash 6 changer

Armrest

Luxury Carpets

Mudflaps but I have to fit them myself, tight gits wanted ?60 to fit them.

Was pleased with ?1700 off but the salesman DID look a bit shocked when I asked for 2200 off, although I knew realistically I would get about ?1800. If you don't ask, you don't get.

He did say it was about 12 weeks for delivery, Is this right, and by that time should it not be a 2006 model year?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts