Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post a couple of pics of her as I've given her a clean and installed an armrest in her this morning.

Shes a 1.8T and wondered what you guys thought of her, all comments welcome, no matter how nasty!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't had it lowered at all no. Don't really want to as the ride is harsh enough as it is with the 18's and have heard that lowering it makes it even harsher!

not too sure what spacers are, but think your thinking along the lines of making the wheels stick out from the arch a little more...would that mean that I could in effect get wider tyres on the back? Currently running 225's

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
W36 EJO: Looking good mate! I went out in a mk4 with 18s on standard suspension and it felt no different to my previous mk4 that had 18s but was slammed on coilovers. Lowered with spacers that would look mean!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beezer...always around Marsh Barton! Mainly Exeter Car Supermarket looking for my next ride!!

Thanks for the info guys. Any ideas on the kind of prices your looking at for getting it lowered and these spacers (though could do that myself) would cost? Also, best way to go to get it lowered?

·
Registered
809 Posts
You can buy lowering kits from German Swedish and French in Marsh Barton if you want budget stuff, or Koni/Bilstein/H&R if you have a couple of hundred more to spend.

Adjustable coil overs a waste of money in my opinion unless you are going to do trackdays and shows.

My advice from experience is DON'T go for just lowering springs and if your GTI has a few miles on it it's worth replacing the dampers anyway and you will gain a lot in handling terms by just doing this.

Spacers are easy to fit but I wouldn't bother if you're lowering it as you may catch the arches on speed humps.

What ariel you got BTW? My standard one keeps hitting the garage door when I go in so need a shorty.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
IMO coilovers are the only decent option, especially with the price R1GTI is offering FK Highsports for!

They are great for achieving a lower look, plus they are adjustable if you decide to change wheel size etc.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got a standard black beesting. Got it from up halfords and it went straight on, ?14.99 I think. They are cheaper on ebay, like ?4.99 or something but my mate had a lot of trouble fitting his and in the end couldnt get it to fit at all!

Mine has got 96k on it now and by the end of 2005 if I don't get meself a runabout will have about 120k on it.

Don't know if I will go down the lowering route at all yet, building myself a sat nav system at the moment, so got no spare cash left!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sir SS, how much do you reckon they would cost to fit them though!? I'm hopeless when it comes to anything like that, can do the basics but thats about it. Would like that meaner look though, maybe something for the summer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts