Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I am wanting to know if a PD130 or 150 Turbo and manifold will bolt onto my non-PD 90TDI? I have tried searching for this info but am still a little confused. Should I change my injectors(maybe for 2.5TDI or other) or just get a remap-if turbo fits? May also go for a FMIC. Are there any other mods I should opt for? Money is an objective but I would like to at least know my options.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance![:I]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
How much is money an objective? The upgrades you're talking about when added together won't be cheap. Most of it is possible but you have to consider brakes, suspension, intercooler etc if you do the turbo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive just about completed a conversion into a caddy van and have upgraded the brakes and suspension already. Looking at possible spending about ?1500 more, but most, if not all the work would be done by myself-except mapping.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Also a set of injectors is likely to be expensive. For example an uprated set of injectors for the 150PD is ?2k!! Though I'd imagine for the power hike you're after something less silly than that will be ok.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Mate, look at www.tdiclub before you do anything.

The Americans tune 90bhp tdi VW's all the time.

They start with transporter 0.216 injectors which will take them to approx 120-130bhp, then change the turbo and remap it to go to 150bhp +. These are rare but can be had for ?400. Details on other threads on here. Failing that you can change the injector nozzles, but this is not as effective as the entire injector.

A 110 tdi turbo will be a diret swap, and 150PD turbo charger will bolt on with work. I have a guide that tells you how it is done. I also have a 150PD turbo charger for sale if you are interested.

You could get your motor to 150bhp for a small amount and 170-180 ish for your budget if you wanted to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replys/info. Mine is the gt15. If I went for the varible vane turbo(vnt) is it just the vacuum pipes/plumbing that are different? djhorace could you tell me more about the work involved with the 150 turbo? How much you after, for your 150 turbo? Also re the injectors, are there any aftermarket one that can be used-like with petrol lumps?

Cheers

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about an upgrade for mine, but not really sure what way to go, or what performance I can get out of the engine if I was to make the mods. What do you guys think? Any ideas? Also I have no idea of costs that I'm looking at. I have seen some mods for around ?450 for the likes of an AMD, but is there anything where I can get more for money? Advice/Input much appreciated!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently put in .205 nozzles into my 90hp tdi, and that's about all I can do without upgrading the clutch. I already have the vnt15 stock (it's a 2003). I'll wait until I'm finished paying the car loan before I do that.

Alot of guys here seem to combine the multivan nozzles with vnt17, maybe nitrous, bigger intercooler; some do smaller nozzles like mine (or next size up) with upsolute chip. The tdiclub goes through it all to some degree => read the TDI FAQ document, because alot of guys suggest lots of risky stuff that they wouldn't really do themselves.

I haven't heard alot about tuning PD's here yet, they're not well liked by many - they don't handle the cold very well. (don't heat the cabin, and mileage is extremely bad - common pump does better once the temp dips)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, Im now very confused! I thought all along I had a GT15 Turbo but from another forum it seems I may have a VNT15 turbo. Basically all I can read on the turbo is something.....T15. I was told if I have a N75 valve then its a VNT - I do. Is this true?

·
Registered
60 Posts
kingdubber - chances are that you have a GT15. The VNT15 is on the 90bhp's in the US and is on some later 90bhps here I think.

Have a look at your downpipe - if its bolted onto the turbo with 4 bolts its a gt15 and 3 bolts its a vnt15 i think.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hmm, just got back to reading this post, now I'm very confused too!! I guess it seems like I'll need to do some digging, where are the sorts of places I'll need to go for the parts, and where for the remap, I've contacted Simon at CentralVWAudi, as I found on a post on the Cupra Forum. He's quoted around ?400, but I need to check what turbo I have.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You don`t need to change the turbo for a remap to work.I`d save my money on the turbo swap and just get a professional remap.Once remapped your engine ecu will regulate your original turbo to give more boost.For serious power increases bigger fuel injectors with more boost via a remap will give excellent results from a TDi in a more cost effective way.

Expect to fit upgraded suspension and engine mount torque reaction bar("Dog Bone Mount") bushes though as the torque increase is substantial and does overstretch the standard items.Also make sure your clutch assembly is in good condition.

The VNT turbos do give slightly less lag but the mechanism does clog up with soot on a tuned diesel engine over time so the older "wastegated" turbo is probably better for your engine.I think the VNT isn`t going to fit a non-PD TDi anyway due to manifold and electronic control differences , i`m sure someone will correct me if this is not the case.

[:)]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
What are you running just now aberdeentdi?

My 1998 110 Passat is remapped to 132bhp and 242ft/lbs. If your car is standard, I could give you a run in my car if you wanted to see the difference between stock and remapped. FYI, I raced Gerard at Crail last year and he has 150bhp in his MKIV GT TDi Golf and on the day my car recorded a faster time despite being a bigger heavier car with less measured bhp.

I sold my 150PD turbocharger to R44MS_K and he is going to let me know his final figure after fitting it. To be honest you wont get much more than he does as he will be running transporter injectors with the 150PD turbo, and I believe exhausts etc are different from stock too.

To be honest I think once the car has been remapped you will notice less difference with add ons. That is of course unless you spend a lot and add them all on together as one - then the difference will be as notable as a remap. Of course it would be wise to add the parts first then remap them!

As has been said many times, the car will go as fast as the amount of cash put in to it. The more you spend, the faster it will go.

[/?0.02]

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
lol

hope i have not confused people!

my car is a petrol and i purchased the turbo for fellow partner in crime, Amar

the PD150 turbo is on and i must say with the T4 injectors it FLIES! the torque is amazing!!

we are just contemplating where to remap the car!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts