Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got arms like a Gibbon but its worth it! We both spent some time on Tracy's car today, in total 8 hours. The paintwork was in pretty bad condition, lots of scratches and swirls so we had to break out the heavy stuff!

The following is the list of products used:

PB SSR3, 2.5, 2 and 1
PB E-FX Sealant
Zymol Carbon

First time with SSR1, must say its close to a glaze type product [Y]

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/photos/tabs/images/490713/original.aspx

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/photos/tabs/images/490712/original.aspx

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/photos/tabs/images/490711/original.aspx

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/photos/tabs/images/490710/original.aspx

And the best picture out of the lot... can you guess which part of the car it is? [:D]
http://www.uk-mkivs.net/photos/tabs/images/490709/original.aspx

We're really pleased with the results. Hopefully with careful and frequent maintenance the finish should last for up to six months before re-waxing.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Excellent!! When do you want to do mine.[:D]

Oh and it's the drivers front wheel arch, you can see the side repeater further along. Am i right??

·
Registered
792 Posts
Looking good.

But honestly, you spent 8 hours!

How long on average would you spendon a bonnet for example with the pc with one product? I might have found where I'm going wrong with mine[:p]

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Tabs, that's looking awesome! Good work[;)]

The last pic is of the offside front arch with the side repeater in the backround (taken from the front), nice tiny depth of field[;)] Lovin' the 20D I take it!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Mark,

What colour pads did you use for the SSR stuff?? I want to get rid of some swirls in my car.

Bet Tracy is very pleased, great work young man.[Y]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup you're all correct, it's the front drivers side arch!

Why did it take 8 hours? Well first there was the wash and degrease with viro-sol, followed by a clay bar session. Tracy was working with me throughout this so it would have taken more time if I were on my own lol. The main bulk of the work came with the PC, having to do things in stages. First step was to flat out the areas that were badly damaged and scratched with SSR3 (Yellow Pad). This left these sections looking very hazy, so to even things down a little I then did the sections again with SSR2.5 (Yellow Pad), followed by the entire car with SSR2 (White Pad).

Even SSR2 left a uniform polished finish, but I knew there was more 'shine' to be had, so to finish up I polished things back wth SSR1 (Blue Pad). Normally I would have used Sonus SFX2 but I've run out lol. Alex at SeriousPerformance told me the SSR1 is very close to a glaze - you're not wrong mate! It's good stuff and actually saved me the task of having to glaze the car!

There are still some very slight swirls but overall the finish is like a mirror. According to Tracy, after adding some PB Sealant and Zymol it's now looking better than it did when the car was delivered by Corkills [:O]

The way I look at it, this won't need doing again as long the car is washed correctly and maintained. So its worth putting in the effort [Y]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Thats awesome Mate...... i dont think many people realise how bad it
was to start of with (No offence) but I have seen it at a few meets and
it was pretty bad....

have you any before and after pics, and if you want a foreigner next
weekend I can pay you in out of date beer and wine and tea and biscuits

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Thats awesome Mate...... i dont think many people realise how bad it was to start of with (No offence) but I have seen it at a few meets and it was pretty bad....

have you any before and after pics, and if you want a foreigner next weekend I can pay you in out of date beer and wine and tea and biscuits
Andy, Tracy is gonna kill you when she sees yeah.[:D]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thats awesome Mate...... i dont think many people realise how bad it was to start of with (No offence) but I have seen it at a few meets and it was pretty bad....

have you any before and after pics, and if you want a foreigner next weekend I can pay you in out of date beer and wine and tea and biscuits
Thats a bit mean Andy, an encouragment would have been nice [:(] Cars difficullt to maintain, especially when I have to go to uni and work 7days a week. Sometimes a dirty car is less targetted than a clean car. When you live where I do, I've already had my car keyed and dented and kicked a few times when it was still new and clean. My mums had her car windows smashed twice already. I find that if your cars dirty most of the time, people aren't going to notice and won't bother doing anything to it. Its actually so much safer!! So thats why it was "so bad to start off with" at the meets! [:(]

PS. Thanks again for doing my car Mark!! I appreciate it being nice and clean.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
that looks fantastic I bet you are chuffed to bits Tracey! I'll PM you later Tabs we need to make a date methinks

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Sorry I really didnt mmean to offend all I was saying is marks work was
even more amazing than people realise..... err sorry i should re-phrase
that...... errm taxi for Andy.... ill stop digging me own grave now
shall I.......

Seriously, that paint looks as good as Oxfords and Jaces.... and
those cars get that treatment every week so for you to have gotten that
finish in just one session on previously un polished painmtwork
is mighty damn fine work.... PS you missed the wheel
arch liners...... Sorry ill leave