Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come to part with the Golf for a larger car [:(]

We have decided that we need 7 seats so it really restricts us, I now need to know what I should be looking at, currently considering.

• Discovery 3 V8
  • Touran (unsure of engine though)
  • that,s about it.......

Any ideas?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Seat Alhambra (cheaper Sharan) very good, Massive spec for few ?'s

Touran amazing car, my 3 friends have one each and i drive them all. Good spec as standard and the 2.0L TDI 140 when chipped is awesome. Esspecialy with DSG....

Discovery V8?? Do you own a petrol station.....

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only do about 5k per year so running costs really isn't an issue.

Not sure about the Seat, will see if I can find one locally to look at, although we are slight badge snobs (although I drive a 55 plate Octavia!)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Only do about 5k per year so running costs really isn't an issue.

Not sure about the Seat, will see if I can find one locally to look at, although we are slight badge snobs (although I drive a 55 plate Octavia!)
Just be prepared, I'm into my 3rd week of V8 Range Rover Classic ownership and 15MPG, ?0.25 to the mile, and a ?65 (81l) tank fill for 200 miles takes some swallowing [:'(]

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mrs quite likes the look of the Zafira VXR but I don't think I could bring myself to buy a Vauxhall!

Test drove a Touran 2.0TDI Sport on Saturday afternoon, nice car although out of principle we wouldn't buy one from that dealer (Martin's of Andover) as the sales guy just was not courteous or considerate (he occupied the front seat whilst my wife was relegated to the back, direct us on where to go and we had a really long 4 mile test drive!) Got to say it felt slightly under powered but nothing a remap wouldn't solve! Only problem with the Touran is I could see me wanting to mod it and I really wanted to avoid the costs that this brings! If we went for one the Mrs has already said it would need lowering and at least 18's!

Another option is the Mazda 5, don't know anything about Mazda. We quite like the idea of sliding rear doors for ease of access etc. Would need to have an extended test drive if I were to go for a car like this....

Didn't mention in the 1st post, but the 7 seats is only for occasional use so van like vehicles are not needed!!!

Ruled out the Disco, I'd want a fully loaded one and I just can't justify 30k plus....

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Mazda 5 is a great car - the Misses and I were very close to buying one.  if you act quickly you will get the limited edition Furano top spec for about 16.5K.

·
Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG / Golf IV TDI-R 200PS
1,870 Posts
The (new) Citroen is worth a look (no really, I'm serious!)

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mazda 5 is a great car - the Misses and I were very close to buying one. if you act quickly you will get the limited edition Furano top spec for about 16.5K.
Quite like the look of the 5 Furano, just need to have a "proper" test drive. Price is good though and I know a friendly Mazda dealer who will probably let me have one at cost..... (Not sure what Mazda margins are like but they are also a Skoda dealer and I know what that margin is!)

·
Registered
894 Posts
If your considering the Mazda then take a look at the Ford S Max, Mazda are part of Ford and the S Max is picking up good reviews as a drivers car.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yeah, the S-max looks good and is supposed to be a good drive.

Also, I'd suggest a Grande Scenic. I really didn't fancy Scenics at all but my mum and dad have just ordered one and they really are great as a family car. Loads of cubby holes and neat little touches (like integrated sun shades in the side windows, airplane style tables on the back of the front seats and a mirror for keeping an eye on the brats).

On the test drive I found myself thinking about trading in the wifes Fabia vRS and getting one when we have kids!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
The better half has a Mazda 5 2.0D Sport. Its a good car - much more stylish than Touran. Plus points - good to drive, refined, reasonably economical, stylish, THOSe rear doors. Downsides - interior not the highest quality, central rear seat very small - more of a six seater in truth, not got lots of oomph that you'd expect of a diesel - lacking some torque and over geared. But we paid just over ?16k for ours a year ago!!!

I've had a couple of seven seaters and if I'm honest, nothing compares to my grand espace - expensive to repair when it went wrong and it did, but so smooth, comfortable and classless. Pick up a nearly new 150hp diesel, or even better the 175bhp 2.0dci, with Privilege spec or above and you should be made up. That would be my choice with your budget....

Ian

·
Registered
392 Posts
With out doubt Ii would have a look at the new GRAND Espace, normally i dismiss French cars but these look the dogs danglies.

Tim

·
Registered
682 Posts
VW Caravelle T5? A bit bigger than the others,but a full 7 seater WITH luggage space as well. And they pull like a train with the 2.5 130 bhp TDI pd engine. Can also be modded as well if you want,as there's plenty of bits avalible. Just an idea. Cheers,Paul.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts