Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i hope someone can help me out with this one.

When turning (right mainly) a grinding noise can be heard, it sounds as if it's coming from the front right wheel, it can also be felt through the pedal.

If i speed up and let go of the gas and slightly play with the car from right to left, the grinding noise is very noticeable.

My car has been with VW for over a week now, they've changed the wheel bearing (or something like that), clutch cylinder, changed the gear box twice and checked the flywheel.... so far without prevail and over 7 grand (apparently) has been spent on it (all on warantee whep)... they have no clue why and where the sound is coming from.

All this is on a Golf MK4 V6 4Motion... can anyone shed some light on the topic ??

·
Registered
293 Posts
nope, sorry, sounds like the wheel bearing to me but how STUPID is your dealer !!!!!

Perhaps you should suggest that the service manager lies on the bonnet whilst a 'technician' drives it around the block. Perhaps he'll hear something that you cant from inside the cabin !

Bunch of muppets. Sorry to hear you too are suffering at the hands of the dealer.

David.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Mate, i'm sure it will be something simple......but, most VW mechanics seem to be feckin stupid. Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The wheel bolts being too long and rubbing on something?

Caliper grinding

stone in the brake pad

steering rack

drive shaft rubbing on the anti roll bar... so many possibilities

Best of luck gettin git sorted. Push for a new car :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
sounds like a fob-off.......ask to see the invoices - then speak to vw UK.

I can't believe it's cost so much time and effort/parts.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
I had a similar problem and it was a rubber bush on the lower arm I think it is called the wish bone what would happen is when I turned right there was an awful sound off metal on metal noise this was due to the wishbone dropping and the drive shaft was rubbing on the lower torsion bar hope this helps

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote: posted by Gti Jazz Blue on 30/01/2004 17:22:16

I take it that they have checked the CV joints are OK. Inner and outer.

As far as i know they haven't, but i'll ask them on monday.. thanx for the advice

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guys for the advice, the wish bone problem seems likely... you guys think i should still keep it with the same VW Dealer and ask him to check these things out, or should i take it somewhere else?

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote: posted by foxy on 30/01/2004 19:44:04

sounds like a fob-off.......ask to see the invoices - then speak to vw UK.

I can't believe it's cost so much time and effort/parts.

Ive been wanting to place complaints about this VW Dealership for ages, who exactly is 'VW UK' and should i contact them if i want to place a complaint??

For those interested, its Dovercourt VW in Finchely Road London, they recently changed their name to Hampstead VW.

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got new set of alloys fitted recently, could the problem lie there??? maybe in the way they were fitted??

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
I got new set of alloys fitted recently, could the problem lie there??? maybe in the way they were fitted??

If its the wishbone bushes then ye it could be the cause when mine went they said this could be the cause as i reduced the tire wall height so the new tires was not taking much off the knock and bumps

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote: posted by Golf V5 on 30/01/2004 21:03:05

If its the wishbone bushes then ye it could be the cause when mine went they said this could be the cause as i reduced the tire wall height so the new tires was not taking much off the knock and bumps

How did u fix it at the end??

·
Registered
680 Posts
Quote: posted by Mokeylock on 30/01/2004 20:26:11

As R1GTI said...

Wheel bolts too long on your new wheels perhaps?

This can push the ABS trigger ring onto the ABS sensor..

Easy to check..

Remove bolt one by one, shone a torch into the hole and (if) you see a shiney round 'witness' on the ring, its touching and pushing it towards the ABS sensor.

Just a thought.

regards

bill

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote: posted by Gti Jazz Blue on 30/01/2004 17:22:16

I take it that they have checked the CV joints are OK. Inner and outer.

Bro, sorry to be asking this but "CV joints" ?? what are they exactly (nooo idea)...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Probably not the case, but one more thing it could possibly be.. take a look at your drive-shafts, any sign of the ARB fouling the driver's side dirve shaft?

To see the drive-shaft, turn your steering wheel full lock to the right, get out of the car and (using a torch) look for a thick rod leading to the centre of the driver's side front wheel. If you can see any evidence of rubbing (a shiny / rusty ring around the driveshaft) then there may be a problem.

Posted Image

- Toff.

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
update: for some reason VW still can't get over the fact that it may not be the gearbox. I mentioned all the problems that you guys suggested but they said they checked them out but everything was ok. They decided to order yet another gearbox (making it the 3rd one now) and for some reason, by some miracle, i think they expect it to sort the problem out... why?? i have no freaking clue....

to tell you guys the truth, my baby's been taken away from me for the past 3 weeks, and it's messing my life up... i neeed speeed.... so i've just decided to hold up till they put this freaking gearbox in and then i'm taking my car... i dont care if they've fixed the problem or not... i'll have to find someone else to help me out with it... anyone???

Next stop... treating my baby to some Koni Coilovers after all that ordeal, hopefully booking car in as soon as i get it back from the dealership(fingers crossed).

Just to ease my tensions a bit... the dealership my car is at is "Hampstead VW" in Finchley Road London... at the O2 Centre... anyone been there?? and if so what kinda treatment did u get?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts