Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My car should hopefully be receiving a power-hike shortly (hush-hush at the moment) and I'm seriously thinking of getting a 6-speed box.

Does the 1.8T get the same 5 speed gear-box as the 2.0 or is it different? The 2.0 revs extremely highly when you're going about 120 (on the authobahn etc blah blah) and I think a 6th gear would make travelling at high speed far more economical and potentially lift the top speed? Am I incorrect in saying that?

VWBob warned me that 6 speed boxes are slightly longer (physically) than 5 speed boxes and that fitting one could require extra mounts being made and all sorts of jiggery-pokery... I'd like to fit a 1.8T 6 speed box into my 2.0, does anybody happen to know if it will bolt in or if it will require the aforementioned buggering about!

Many thanks - Toff.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I didn't think that there was much difference between the 5 speed and the 6 speed boxes speed wise? I was under the impression that the 6 speed simply shortened the ratio's between gears?

I'm probably totally wrong... as usual! [B)][B)]

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm not sure about this stuff, but just thought I'd throw in my .2c worth. I think gearbox ratios are designed with the torque output of the engine in mind. By fitting a 6 speed box, you may be able to run at lower revs at high speed, but the fact of the matter may be that you wont have enough torque to actually keep the car going. Just because the engine is at high revs doesnt mean its not economical, it may be producing more torque at those revs so it more economical.

Does that make sense to anyone else ?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Im with ya Tom... in essence i cant see the benefit on a car that doesnt have a reasonably high power output. On mine for example, it doesnt even begin to get lively until it hits at least 3500rpm... a 6-speed box would be useless to the extreme.

·
Registered
646 Posts
With that too Tom. Only thing I read (I think) was that the 6 cog can cope with more torque than a 5, hence the fitting to tdis and the 180 turbo.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Chris

Im with ya Tom... in essence i cant see the benefit on a car that doesnt have a reasonably high power output. On mine for example, it doesnt even begin to get lively until it hits at least 3500rpm... a 6-speed box would be useless to the extreme.
I echo this. Our 1.6 engines are very high reving when cruising at 100MPH+ and feel like another gear would make things a little more civilised, but the ratios have been designed to take advantage of the power curve- 6 spd would be daft.

Mum has an SLK 200K with a 6spd manual box; not something Merc do well in all honesty and 6th is useless, theyve not made the ratios closer together so 6th is totally unecessary- like an 'overdrive overdrive.'

I am guessing you re SCing the 2.0 or something? In which case Golfttish tells me a 6spd box can handle more power, but the 5Spd is good enough for most applications.

·
Registered
194 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Ricardo

With that too Tom. Only thing I read (I think) was that the 6 cog can cope with more torque than a 5, hence the fitting to tdis and the 180 turbo.
The 6 speed box in the TDI's, GTI180, and R32 is the MQ350, the 350 being the torque rating in Nm, which is about 268lbs/ft.

AFAIK the ratios after for each car though.

Plus, fitting it to the TDI's allows the close ratios to keep the car within its power band most of the time.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As a few of you may know from other threads...

My driveshafts have been damaged by my ARB's so I needed to replace them.. at a cost of £614 from VW.. I managed to get a Seat Leon Cupra 6 speed off ebay for £640 [:D] WITH DRIVESHAFTS! (I love ebay!)

Wish me luck please guys.. it's at RSD for fittment this week. The extra bits I need apparently are an Audi clutch with large centre spline and a starter motor from a TDI. My car has had some enhancments to the performance and the 2.0 is quite a torquey car when "tickled" !! (despite popular beleif!) Hopfully it will work well.

Regards _Toff.

PS: Guess what Seat Leon Cupra 6 speeds have built-in.. LSD!!! Tight corners, here I come!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good luck with it Toff. I'd be interested to know what power mods you've done to it, though. As you say, the standard 2.0 has plenty of low down torque but it all goes pear shaped at high revs.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Toff

As a few of you may know from other threads...

My driveshafts have been damaged by my ARB's so I needed to replace them.. at a cost of £614 from VW.. I managed to get a Seat Leon Cupra 6 speed off ebay for £640 [:D] WITH DRIVESHAFTS! (I love ebay!)

Wish me luck please guys.. it's at RSD for fittment this week. The extra bits I need apparently are an Audi clutch with large centre spline and a starter motor from a TDI. My car has had some enhancments to the performance and the 2.0 is quite a torquey car when "tickled" !! (despite popular beleif!) Hopfully it will work well.

Regards _Toff.

PS: Guess what Seat Leon Cupra 6 speeds have built-in.. LSD!!! Tight corners, here I come!
Glad to see you made the most of my tip-off! Good look with getting it fitted and let us know how you get on. What are you doing for the power hike? Is it a few minor mods like remap and exhaust or something more serious like the neuspeed supercharger or a custom turbo?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Eddy,

I am sorry I forgot, I do owe you a huge thanks for that. I check ebay every day now for VAG parts! Which is proving very expensive!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Toff

Hi Eddy,

I am sorry I forgot, I do owe you a huge thanks for that. I check ebay every day now for VAG parts! Which is proving very expensive!
Yep there are some bargains on there but you can't help but bid on them all!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To aid my eBay fetish, I've now got the eBay toolbar which is perfect for regular ebay users!

I'm now searching ebay for a suitable starter motor for that gearbox (apparently a diesel starter is needed!) Looks like I'll be paying about £30 as oposed to £250 that VW want for a starter!

- Toff.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My car has been with RSD for about 6 weeks now..

The 6 speed is being a nightmare to fit apparently, they are getting OEM bits from all over the place to get it to work (inc lightend flywheel from a Mk.3 16v) Apparently they are just being held-up by the starter motor now (i.e. they can't find one to fit.)

I sent them a TT starter motor today (I got it for £55) so hopefully they'll be able to hook it all up and see how it works shortly!

Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

- Toff.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha! Well it probably won't have moved far since you were last there Jazz Blue!!

Please could you do me a favour and covertly find-out if Danny thinks I'm a good customer or a pain in the *** customer, I'm intrigued to know!

- Toff.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know i'm talking to myself here (first sign of madness [?] nope, there are lots of other signs too [:)] )

Having had a Helix clutch and one-piece aluminium flywheel made especially, I've been told that my 6-speed 2.0 will be ready soon! Fingers crossed for me lads!

I know it's a bit of a gamble as to how well the gearing will work; I'll post the reults here when I find out!

- Toff.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts