Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

6CD In Dash Changer - Glovebox Install

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
7K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  ferryjambo 
#1 ·
I've recently bought and installed a VW MFD in my car, and wanted to relocate my 6CD In Dash Changer to my glovebox so i have easy access to it whilst in the drivers seat. So, i did it, took an hour, so i thought id knock up a quick how to with some pics:

First of all you will need to buy these parts:

Extension Cable for in dash changer:
http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/idc_cable.asp PRICE: ?17.99
Single DIN Mounting Kit:
http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/din_box.asp PRICE: ?17.99

And secondly you will need the following tools:

Permanent Pen
Stubby Phillips Screw Driver
2 x Stanley Knives (Very Sharp ones!, one for spare for when you snap the blade)

Step1: Run the extension cable round to the back of the MFD (blue plug end to go into the MFD of course) and leave it hanging down into the footwell for now.

Step2: Now with your single din cage you need to hold it into the place that you want (top right corner is best as there isnt enough room to mount to the left hand side of the glovebox) and draw a line round the cage so you know where to cut.

Step3: Using your stanley knife you need to cut out the rectangular shape using the line for guidence. Id recommed doing the left and bottom side of the cut out first. When you have done that, cutting the top and right hand side is easy as there is cut outs already in these side for you.

Step4: When you have cut it out, you need to get your single din cage and push it through the gap, it should be nice and tight for a better hold. You now need to mark where you need to screw the cage to at the top. You need to pop out the metal securing slats from the single din cage so you can slide the cd player into it, and also remove the brass clips on the side of the cd player so it will fit properly.

Step5: Make yourself some pilot holes for the screws, as there isnt alot of room to move and this will make screwing it in alot easier.

Step6: Now before you screw it in, with the cage in place but not pushed right back you need to feed the extension loom into the cage as you wont be able to once its screwed in if you've done it right.

Step7: Scew the cage into place, connect the plug into the loom, and slide the player into the cage, insert the metal slat into the left hand side so its held in securely and your done! Sit back and admire the almost factory look of your glovebox mounted cd player! [;)]

Pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Help that helps....

See less See more
#6 ·
Benc, thats a great "how to", thanks...

I've just purchased a VW OEM Sat Nav which hasn't arrived yet, I'll be receiving a version G unit and a 2005/6 CD.

Do Bluespot supply the other accessories I'll need to install the Sat Nav to my car? I haven't checked this yet, but I believe I'll need a GPS antenna and some kind of cable also to be able to install the Sat Nav unit? Ideally I'd like to order these parts at the same time as ordering the parts to convert the 6CD stacker.

If Bluespot don't supply these items for the VW Sat Nav, can you advise where I get them from?

Thanks again

#7 ·
You will need to get the MFD wiring harness from ebay, try and get the one with the GALA enable/disable switch as this will let you watch dvds on the move if you decide to hook a dvd player up to it. I would also get the GPS antenna from ebay aswell, theres loads of them up there.

I have found an auction with all you need it! [;)]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Plug-Play-SET-VW-MFD-AUDI-SAT-NAV-CABLE-ADAPTER-ANTENNA_W0QQitemZ170019195044QQihZ007QQcategoryZ75327QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope that helps...

#8 ·
Cheers mister.

I did see this auction and bookmarked it, it looks exactly what I want. I plan to do the SatNav install and 6CD movement all in one go, are there any 'gotchas' I might need to be aware of?

I'm pretty confident with doing DIY stuff on the dashboard anyway, I've already done the W8 light and Bora vents (they are a MUST!), so I was just hoping for any extra tips you might have so I don't waste any time doing things backwards :)

Thanks for the help again

#9 ·
As far as tips, all i can say is make sure you have a couple of sharp stanley knives when you cut out the bit at the back of the glovebox, because you are bound to break one.

As for the installation of the MFD, its really straight forward to be honest, just push call the cables down behind your climate panel and the MFD will slide in easily as there isnt alot of room behind there.

Secondly, i mounted my GPS antenna on the metal bar behind the glovebox facing the sky and it gets 7-8sats all the time, so its alot easier than pulling your dials out. Just pop off the plastic cover on the end of the dash, and stick your arm in there. [;)]

Any probs, give me a shout.

Did you get my PM btw?

#10 ·
great information. combined with pics... after seeing this i decided to install my 6disk dash changer the same way as this to match my mfd that i brought back from germany with me.. so simple and quick too... i now have cd's playing through my sat nav system...
cheers for the tip's

ferryjambo..

#11 ·
No probs ferryjambo..Glad you found it useful [Y]

Got any pics?

great information. combined with pics... after seeing this i decided to install my 6disk dash changer the same way as this to match my mfd that i brought back from germany with me.. so simple and quick too... i now have cd's playing through my sat nav system... cheers for the tip's ferryjambo..

#12 ·
hi there..

i'll take some tomorrow and upload them for all to see mate.. i got the extension like you from bluespot but went to halfords for the cd craddle ?7.99 as opposed to ?17.99
from bluespot.... apart from that everything could'nt have been simpler really... cutting out the back of the glove box was the hardest part. more awkward really... as soon as i plugged in the ext to the cd changer it jumped into life and once i'd wen't through the navi menu to highlight cd player i was listning to cd's in no time... you know i've had the cd changer sitting around for 2 years ... after i'd put in the navi to my golf i clean forgot about it until i'd seen your post .. i then realised that i could listen to cd's through the navi .....

next project...
to connect my nokia 6111 to my navi and hear calls through my car speakers..... any ideas on this ???...

ferryjambo ....

#13 ·
Mate, I'll hopefully be able to help a little on this tomorrow (the Nokia comment). I've already got a Nokia car blue tooth car kit installed which goes through my Gamma stereo, but I'm putting in my MFD tomorrow, so I'll see how it was connected to the Gamma and connect it to the MFD.

I'll let you know...

#14 ·
hi there.
cheers mate.. i know it can be done. another vw forum explains the theory of connecting up the wiring to the speaker l & right terminals then a 12v. switch to the gala point.. and mute terminal... when a call comes through the navi will mute automatically and the calls will come through the door & dash front speaker system nice and clear.... the nokia 6111 seems a little awkward.. other phones have cradles and the leads are easy to get from various web sites like ....

http://www.siocommunications.co.uk/Contact-Us.html

i also know i might be pricey too..

good luck with mfd.. if you get any probs post up here.... you won't regret installing it .. once you get used to the voice cutting in over the radio when you are driving it's plain sailing.. mine has took me all around germany. holland.. belgium. england. scotland without a hitch.. the only problem i've had is when the cd does'nt recognise a new strech of road... updating the disk solves this but the cd's are expensive to buy.... i know some people on ebay sell { back up ] disks though....

ferryjambo

#15 ·
Ferry, the install is complete. I've got the Nokia working too, but I'll detail this tomorrow, I've got to rush out now..

I do have one 'concern'. The Sat Nav unit was sold as an MFD G and it does have that sticker on the side.. BUT.... It isn't letting me enter postcodes anywhere! I know where ithe option should be and its not there :( Also strangely I can't enter a house number for ANY address, they are always greyed out.

One other thing is that the Nav CD is supposed to be 2005/2006 but when I view the contents of the CD in Windows XP, it seems to indicate that it is a 2001 CD (from the timestamps on the files and from within a text file on the CD)

Does anyone know if a 2001 CD lacks postcodes and house number information? I'm preying I haven't been duped in to buying a MFD D with a MFD G sticker on the side, but Im hopeful its the CD that is out of date.

#17 ·
Mmmm the disc I have is a 2001 CD and yes its a 'backup disc' for test purposes. So the mystery continues, I thought I had read in the past that version D of the MFD did not have the postcode facility, clearly Im wrong there then! Does anyone know the difference between MFD D and MFD G? I know there is also an MFD DX too?

I seem to also recall seeing somewhere that one of the MFDs (possibly D then) allows partial entry of the post code (IE half of it) and other MFDs (possibly G) allow entry of the full 7 characters of a postcode?

#18 ·
sounds like your "back up' disk did'nt have all the files copied.. a common complaint as copying a navi disk is hard... my nehew has tried numeras time for me to do it without any working in my navi too... although it can be done as i have a "back up" of germany 2005 and it works fine... some other web sites have details and i've seen sites like limewire & shareaza where people offer them for download.. that's easy. its the burning prog where the trouble starts.. alcohol etc....
sorry i cannot be more help.. i'd get onto the ebay seller and ask him about the disk in a nice way.. apart from the postcode does it work though... failing that you'll find a full version on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLAUPUNKT-NAVI-CD-UK-United-Kingdom-Ireland-2006-DX-SAT_W0QQitemZ270012590473QQihZ017QQcategoryZ75327QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ferryjambo..

ps. how did the nokia hands free wiring get on ?....

#20 ·
sounds like your "back up' disk did'nt have all the files copied.. a common complaint as copying a navi disk is hard... my nehew has tried numeras time for me to do it without any working in my navi too... although it can be done as i have a "back up" of germany 2005 and it works fine... some other web sites have details and i've seen sites like limewire & shareaza where people offer them for download.. that's easy. its the burning prog where the trouble starts.. alcohol etc.... sorry i cannot be more help.. i'd get onto the ebay seller and ask him about the disk in a nice way.. apart from the postcode does it work though... failing that you'll find a full version on ebay.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLAUPUNKT-NAVI-CD-UK-United-Kingdom-Ireland-2006-DX-SAT_W0QQitemZ270012590473QQihZ017QQcategoryZ75327QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ferryjambo.. ps. how did the nokia hands free wiring get on ?....
Interesting. I have left a comment with the ebay seller and he claimed he would search for a 2006 disc, but I'm thinking this will go nowhere. Very tempted to leave bad feedback!

I guess the Navi discs are protected using "safedisk" or something similar - it is possible to create a 'backup' of this format of disc, I know this personally ;) In fact I certainly would want to, with the price of the originals!

#21 ·
hi franko 180..

yep it must be a safedisk prog or something similar on the navi's.. yep mate their very expensive are'nt they... normally if somebody upgrades say 2004 to 2006 they might sell the 2004 on ebay or something.. that's a way of getting a cheaper disk... i've yet to see anyone sell back-up copies though. maybe iv'e not looked in the right place ??... maybe the seller will post on a 2006 disk... he should have said it was a back-up copy you were getting though.. seen your post about the install.. nice quide you posted.. lets other people see just how easy upgrading to a sat nav can be.. i know the navi can be exp. to buy but well worth it, especially if you travel a lot....

looking forward to seeing your post / quide on the nokia 6111 through the vavi too... that's my next project...

#22 ·
Update on this - I've now got a 2003 Tele Atlas DX disc. I can now enter postcodes, but only the first four digits. Once I've entered the postcode I can then enter the housenumber which takes the navigation very close to the destination. Its working fine for now.

I did a test on the 2003 disc and made a copy and tested it and it works fine. I'll be on the look out for a newer version of course!

With the Nokia install, I won't be posting a full how-to as I didn't do the original install of my handsfree car kit, I just moved it from the Gamma to the MFD, but I do have pics and info, it might help for you to know some of the connections you need to make.

#23 ·
hi franko..

good news on the navi ...

what programme did you use to burn the navi disk mate ??.. i'll see if i can copy a 2006 one with it... if it works i'll send you a copy to use......

re - the nokia.. are you using a ck -7w bluetooth unit ??.. that's what i've been advised to get... if so i just need to know where the extra leads are placed and where i could buy them if i cannot make them up myself...

as a newbie how do i upload pics onto the forum also mate ??...

good luck with the new vw mfd... you won't regret installing it....

ferryjambo....

#24 ·
Yup I have the ck-7w kit.. Its really great.. Hardwired in to it I have a cradle that accepts my works 6822 and my old personal 6230i. I also have a bracket which holds my N80 (no wired phone connection), so I use bluetooth to connect it. I also added a 'cigarette lighter socket' Nokia charger to charge the N80, but this is wired up inside the dashboard with the charging lead wired inside the strearing column.. Anyway the pics will explain it better when I make that post :)

The way I display pictures -

1) Copy them on to some webspace or a webserver. I have webspace given from Ntlworld as part of my broadband package

2) enter a link in your post. I copied this link from someone elses post, they have webspace on a server registered as www.boners.com under a folder called "content" and the file is called 791475.jpg (its just an example!). The "i m g" should have no spaces in, but I put spaces in so that you could see the line that should be used.

[i m g]http://www.boners.com/content/791475.jpg[/i m g]

Hope that helps?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.