Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Took the wagon out for a 350 mile run the other day, down the M6 / M1 / M25 and back. It's a Mk4 150 PD, but I've blocked off the EGR pipe from the exhaust. Not a full EGR delete, but no exhaust can now return to the inlet manifold. Did this while I was cleaning out the EGR body. Made a post on this a while back.

The motorways were mostly reduced to 60 MPH for either roadworks or environmental reasons, so I pinned it at around 58 for the average speed cameras.

Got an average of 66 MPG over the whole trip which included some A/B roads at either end.

:p

350 miles in total dropped the tank to the 1/2 marker from full, which returns about 63MPG, which backs up the trip computer, give or take.

If I'd have known this was a thing, I'd have done the delete 15 years ago. The most I ever managed out of a 150 PD is 50 MPG. Damn.

The only other side effect of this delete is that the temp gauge now sits half way between the 90 marker and hatched. Takes longer to warm up as well.

Still passes the MOT emission, but the it still has the CAT fitted.

Speedometer Trip computer Odometer Gauge Tachometer

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Super impressive MPG.

Your thermostat might be bad, causing the temperature drop, it's meant to stay closed until 87 degrees - meaning the temp gauge should be sitting on 90 (it's a biased gauge).

If the thermostat is bad, then you should get even better MPG once it's replaced and getting the engine to hold temperature.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
We did a ~600 mile round trip last June in a pd150 mk1 Leon and it returned an average of around 70mpg (verified on brimmed fuel fill-up, egr deleted, standard exhaust, stage 1 remap via ecu by post).

You need to change your thermostat (I'd also change the coolant temp sensor at the same time if it were me)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I got an averaged 81mpg in my PD130 doing cruise controlling pretty-much 50mph from London to York during covid. Working off my measurements it worked out around 75mpg. Gotta be a record somewhere I wonder if an EGR would help my current mpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts