Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just got my second notice of intended prosecution through.

Just managed to rack up 6 points in 2 weeks. How on earth I don't know!

9 years and no points, now 6.

Anyone got any stories of succesfully contesting these?

·
Registered
924 Posts
sorry to hear that mate....it really puts you down!!

unless you are very rich or a relative of the royal family etc dont think theres any chance of arguing with them!

i was once doing 74mph in a 70 zone up leeds on a bank holiday, and they still did me for it, the worse thing was they took me to court..and i ended up paying the court fee plus solicitor plus the actural fine.

and the only reason my g/f and i went up there was that she found her father which she had ever seen since she was 2!

will

·
Registered
437 Posts
I got 6 in a fortnight too.

Cannot complain - sheer stupidity on my part.

First one was some chavs in a Clio wanting a race from the lights - I
didn't slow down in time (44 in a 40, go knows what they got done for
as they didn't slow).

Second was 46 in a 40.

Oh yes, the Golf has a RA2 and the BMW a Snooper [:$]

Lesson learned methinks.

·
Registered
737 Posts

unless you are very rich or a relative of the royal family etc dont think theres any chance of arguing with them!

i was once doing 74mph in a 70 zone up leeds on a bank holiday, and they still did me for it, the worse thing was they took me to court..and i ended up paying the court fee plus solicitor plus the actural fine.

and the only reason my g/f and i went up there was that she found her father which she had ever seen since she was 2!

will
I've never heard of anyone being done for <10% over the limit ie. 77 in a 70mph. I have also read several times that this is the generally accepted allowance as well. Most car speedos are only accurate to +/- 6mph at that speed anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm thought as much

The first offence was very unlucky, driving back from Manchester late
at night. I was just thinking that there must be speed cameras down
here, and flash.

The last one wasn't so unlucky, given I was racing someone!

Oh well, looks as though I'll be forking out for a road angel fairly shortly!

·
Registered
924 Posts

will
I've never heard of anyone being done for <10% over the limit ie. 77 in a 70mph. I have also read several times that this is the generally accepted allowance as well. Most car speedos are only accurate to +/- 6mph at that speed anyway.
thats what i tho 10%! try to argue with them...and end up in court!!

will

·
Registered
221 Posts
well how modded is ur car? if ur face isnt in the photo u can say it wasnt ur car, n sumones drivin with ur plates, all depends on how modded ur car is, n if u still got originall parts to make it look different? did they send u photos??

·
Registered
459 Posts
tusc tusc.... dodging a speeding fine is worse than doing the offence in the first place. Learn from your mistake, take the hit like a man and don't do it again.

Someone on another forum, got his mum to take the points for him as she has a licence but didn't drive. Eventuly he was done for fraud and overting the course of justice.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Done for 34 in a 30.

It was the white van man and it caused local outcry at the amount of motorist it caught .Also 3 local officers had used clever clauses to get away with speeding along the same road due to the council not displaying the correct road signs(even though they were over the speed limit)

The Chief of Cleveland Police said anyone caught 34 and under would have the ticket removed.

I thought great and phoned up I was told because I paid the fine I had accepted the offence so nothing they could do.I said if I hadnt paid I would have ended up in court [:mad:] was told hard luck

Well naffed off

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tusc tusc.... dodging a speeding fine is worse than doing the offence in the first place. Learn from your mistake, take the hit like a man and don't do it again.

Someone on another forum, got his mum to take the points for him as she has a licence but didn't drive. Eventuly he was done for fraud and overting the course of justice.
To be honest the second offence I totally hold my hand up to. I knew the area I got caught in was a 30 and still speed.

The first one however was very contentious, I didn't see any speed camera signs and the camera itself was tucked discreetly behind a sign.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well if you were speeding then you can't complain can you?

However, to prosecute you the crown have to follow a strict course of action and prove the offence. If you are so determined to not accept the conviction then this is where you should be looking. Unless you have the time to teach yourself the court protocols you will need to enlist a solicitor This will probably end up costing more than the fines et al though.

I would contest the 74 in a 70 though. Speedos are allowed to be inaccurate by 10% - simple maths really given that tyres reduce in diameter by 10mm through their life. Was the section of road under a temporary lower limit for road works?

·
Registered
459 Posts

To be honest the second offence I totally hold my hand up to. I knew the area I got caught in was a 30 and still speed.

The first one however was very contentious, I didn't see any speed camera signs and the camera itself was tucked discreetly behind a sign.
Sorry Furious5 I wasn't having a jab at you. It was at the guy who said you should dodge the points/fine by saying someone else/other car was driving.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
IIRC the allowance is 10% + 2.5 mph therefore in a 70 limit you are allowed to do to 79.5mph without being fined / prosecuted?
Hope to god that's true because I came round the bend on a dual carriageway at 78 to be greeted by a laser van [:(] Hope he was just parked for a tea break or a biscuit...

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Really? Haven't got anything yet... my PM's seem to take a few minutes to update for some reason. I'll refresh a few times.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Yeah but the points system hasn't changed much since then and after I posted tonight the message saying I had PM was sent 3 minutes afterwards so in my eyes is still relevant.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i got clocked doing 35 in a 30 zone but got offered a speed awarness couse instead of points, cost me ?90 for course though ,then 6 month later got clocked same road same speed got offered course again even though you can only attend 1 couse in 4 years and i've never heard from them since lol, still waiting for a letter saying i can't attend course again this was 12 month ago. now i drive a golf i keep to the correct speed .

1 - 20 of 42 Posts