Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day Guys

A friend of mine has managed to source a 6 speed GTI box from the 132kw(180bhp) GTI. He has decided to sell and I have to decide whether or not to buy it.

Would it be better for me to keep my current 5 speed or buy the 6 speed and get a new flywheel, release bearing and clutch kit?

Thanks for the advise in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to be quick off the line and have a top speed in excess of 250km/h. Can this be done with a 5 Speed or best to just get the 6 speed?

·
Registered
731 Posts
The 6th gear is additional, leaving the lower ratios unaffected. Does allow for a theoretical top speed of 168mph. Can handle more torque, so better if going for an uprated turbo.

Useful for better MPG on the motorway too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, thanks for the comments guys....I'm planning on upgrading to a K04 so I think the 6 speed is the order of the day........thanks guys

·
has been
7,414 Posts
bear in mind, you'll need, 6 speed clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, clutch line, driveshafts, mount on top of box, possibly gear shift linkage too.

i personally preferred the longer gearing of the 5 speed on my k04 set up. i now run the six speed but am happy enough with it not to go to the effort of swapping it all back.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Snow muncher isnt quite correct.

The 5 speed box is a lot better for 'racing' with its MUCH longer ratios. I have the 6 speed and find myself forever changing gear - even with a red line of nearly 8k.

Dan

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok.....then sounds like you guys know what's best, bearing in mind you have a Quattro beast and olethalb has/had a K04'd Bora. Thanks guys....sticking to the 5 speed...

·
Registered
731 Posts
There is a 5spd 4x4 box.

I've got one attached to my old ARX engine.

One major advantage of the 6spd box on the 4x4 platform (O2M) is that Peloquin do an ATB diff upgrade

some ratio info thread here (derv boxes)

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Is it a longitudanal mounted box? Cant say I've ever seen one before! I will be sticking with my 6 speeder and some tdi ratios though!

·
Registered
731 Posts
The Golf & Bora 1.8T (150ps) 4motion came with the 5spd, the Leon4 150ps 1.8T (The LCR is FWD, so doesn't count), Octavia 4x4 1.8T (150ps). I assume Passat 4motion/Superb 4x4 1.8T(150ps) came with same box too.

I guess theme being if you got the 1.8T 150ps engine, you got 5spd ...

Many of these models are very numerous, but never got sold in the UK (e.g. Golf/Bora/Leon 1.8T 4x4's)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts