Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted before couldn't find it using the search, NEWBIE!!

Has anyone got an idea of how much it costs to convert a mk4 golf 1.8t to 4x4 drive or rear wheel drive?

I know this will be expensive but woundered how much?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
690 Posts
HPA Motorsports do it for approx. $14000, thats ?8k +!!!

You'd be better off buying a V6 or 150 PD 4 motion and swap engines. Or you could buy an Audi A3 1.8t quattro!

EDIT: For RWD you would still need a 4mo bodyshell as the FWD shell simply doesn't have any space for rear diff and transmission tunnel.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Don't bother - buy a V6 4Motion and drop a 1.8T engine in - much easier to do as you don't have to cut the floor pan out.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Didn't know the PD 4mo wasn't sold in the UK...Seems a bit silly as the weather there is as bad as most other european countries!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HPA Motorsports do it for approx. $14000, thats ?8k +!!!

You'd be better off buying a V6 or 150 PD 4 motion and swap engines. Or you could buy an Audi A3 1.8t quattro!

EDIT: For RWD you would still need a 4mo bodyshell as the FWD shell simply doesn't have any space for rear diff and transmission tunnel.
Looked at the audi a3 quattro, was thinking of getting it and upgrade the turbo but no one on the audi forum shed any light on2 it. but the audi doesn't look as nice as the mk golf.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Looked at the audi a3 quattro, was thinking of getting it and upgrade the turbo but no one on the audi forum shed any light on2 it. but the audi doesn't look as nice as the mk golf.
Agreed, even though a 3 door with nice wheels can loog good.

As for the turbo, it's exactly the same engine as the golf so you have the same turbo options: K04, IHI etc.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Just treat the A3 like a 1.8T 180 with 4 motion. Have you tried www.audi-sport.net (There is a few of us on here which frequent it, Me, HTC, Richie)

A guy on there who runs JBR performance has a 300bhp 1.8T A3. (RichA3Turbo)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The reason i was looking is cos i wanna take part in motor racing (lma euro saloons) maybe in a few years time, wanted to gather information and the money so i can get a fairly good car.

Was looking at the golf, upgrade the turbo...the problem i found with them was my mates got one and first and second gear cause the wheels to spin to much, which would mean poor starts.

So was thinking about a 4x4 for more traction and better starts....hence why i asked about the converstion, but i think would be better off getting a A3 quattro and upgrading the turbo and internals. What do u lot think?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I've just had a quick look at the euro saloons regulations. As it appears pretty much any car can participate, I don't think the Golf/A3 is really the best way to go.

It's too heavy, it's rear torsion beam setup isn't the best handling wise, and it isn't very aerodynamic either. You'd probably be better off with something like an Integra Type R or a E30 or E36 M3.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've just had a quick look at the euro saloons regulations. As it appears pretty much any car can participate, I don't think the Golf/A3 is really the best way to go.

It's too heavy, it's rear torsion beam setup isn't the best handling wise, and it isn't very aerodynamic either. You'd probably be better off with something like an Integra Type R or a E30 or E36 M3.
True, but these are big cars, although they would probley be better 4 handaling cos of the lower centre of gravity, and u could probley tweek them 4 my power. I was thinking along the ground of a hatch back.

·
Registered
518 Posts
So was thinking about a 4x4 for more traction and better starts....hence why i asked about the converstion, but i think would be better off getting a A3 quattro and upgrading the turbo and internals. What do u lot think?
Ultimately the 4 wheel drive system equals more weight - around 200kgs. - which would slow you down.

Look at Badger Bills Ibiza or the JBS Octavia to see some seriously rapid FWD motors.

I don't think you'll find many quicker 4wd 1.8T engined cars (if any?).......

·
Registered
690 Posts
True, but these are big cars, although they would probley be better 4 handaling cos of the lower centre of gravity, and u could probley tweek them 4 my power. I was thinking along the ground of a hatch back.
Hmm then why not go for something mental, like a rear-engined RWD mk1, a twin-engined 4WD mk1/2, a mi16 engined Peugeot 205 etc?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts