Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I've got the gearbox out, was wanting to replace the pop shaft flexible disc as it has cracked.
Access for tools is limited, but I can get a 10mm spanner in there.
However, when I turn the spanner, the mechanism in the transfer case & prop shaft rotate, so I can't undo the bolts.

Any suggestions on how I can undo these? There's 3 facing the front and 3 facing the back.

I can't find a DIY.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
You could hit the spanner with a hammer to try and shock the bolt loose, similarly to how an impact wrench works.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Sadly no luck. A friend came over to help me reinstall the gear box. Before doing this we tried to undo the bolts but wouldn't budge.

He was surprised the prop shaft would turn with the rear wheels on the ground. Is this normal? Or is it's connection with the rear drive shaft broken?

·
Registered
V6 4Motion
933 Posts
The Haldex clutch on the diff will only engage the rear wheels when it's told to by the controller - so I'd expect that

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I decided to leave this for now.
But I have a question, now that drive shafts and flanges are reinstalled, would I be able to undo the donut bolts if I jammed the front rotors with a screwdriver in the slot? Or would the prop shaft still turn? I've got the off jack stands so can't test it out.

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
mate use a big g-clamp and it should hold it in place... that is what I've done in the past to stop it from rotating... you'll have to loosen it a few times and tighten the g-clamp back on so you have the best access to the bolts, kinda annoying but it worked for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts