Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 4motion come with an alarm as standard? mine is fully loaded from factory (winter and summer pack, but no cruise or nav), but ive got a strange feeling that i dont have an alarm. I also dont have full closure (which i thought would be a standard feature also?). Maybe im doing something wrong? The remote locking works fine, and the red light on drivers door flashes wen locked, how can i check if i have an alarm? cheers fellas

·
Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG / Golf IV TDI-R 200PS
1,870 Posts
Leave the window open, lock the car and (After 30secs?) stick your head in the window - you'll soon find out if you have an alarm! I would have thought you do.

My Golf wont close windows etc. on the remote, but it will if I hold the key in the lock position in the door.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok cool, cheers for the reply, ill have a go when i get home about 7 ish! i dont have a lock on the drivers door, would it be poss to use passenger door lock?? i mainly thought this because a friend of mine bought an S reg GTI 1.8 20v (no turbo) from dealers back in 2000 (ex-show car), which had full closure from the key, so i just guessed that it would have been a standard alarm feature!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no its a uk 2001 model. perhaps it has one and its damaged, or it has one and i just didnt know, ill put my head through the window (an open window!!!!) and find out when i get home!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had one of the first 2001MY (July 2000) Bora 4Motion which had no alarm (no interior sensors and no interior monitoring off switch on the B post).  It was specified from the factory in Bratislava - except they forgot to put them on.  I had a Golf 4Motion in November 2000 and that was missing the alarm too. 

·
1,870 Posts
I forgot about the monitoring switch on the B post! You could always look for that too, in case the alarm is broken. If your's is a UK car why haven't you got a drivers side door lock??

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
The post that runs from the top of the car to the bottom between the front drivers door and rear right passenger door. There should be a little illuminated square button with a picture of the car on or something. If you press it, it turns the interior monitoring off/on - it's so you can lock the kids in and not have the alarm go off!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have an 02 bora and the sensor switch is there, the car is alarmed,
but it is also missing the interior sensors! very annoyed by that and
no compensation at all... apparently they forgot to wire the sensors in
at the factory, despite having an alarm (it does go off if the door is
left open etc etc.

·
1,870 Posts
i think 2001 models and after dont have a drivers door lock just a passenger one! whats a b-post?
Bit weird! I've got a 2001 (albeit not a V6) with locks on both sides. The only ones I've seen with nearside locks only are imports....

I've just checked for you and the closure does work on the passenger side on mine.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok this all makes sense now!! i think.. I remember seeing this button at the bottom of the pillar on the day i got the car (last month!), and i pressed it and nothing happened. i must have disabled the alarm! cheers dudes ill check it out when i get in!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Pressing the button should only disable the alarm for one lock/unlock
cycle before the alarm re-actives itself, so unless you haven't locked
your car in a month the alarm should be on again! I have a 52-reg
4Motion and it has a fully functioning alarm and a lock on the drivers
door only (but no total closure on the keyfob)

·
Registered
29 Posts
my 2001 v6 has a lock on the drivers side door, and has an alarm. i know it works as I locked my girlfriend in there as a laugh and the thing went off 20 seconds later when she started shaking her fists at me.
Stick out tongue [:P]

·
Registered
70 Posts
The lock on the passenger door/driver's door is a red herring. A model year update deleted the pass door lock, and if the driver's door is missing it will be a retrofit following well-documented concerns over breaking in through the lock.

Total closure from the keyfob will be a retrofit, it was never offered as standard on the MK4.

Total closure and the alarm fitment also have no relationship, all Golfs 4's have total closure with central locking and electric windows.

It is possible to have misbuilds with a perimeter alarm without interior monitoring, the button on the B post only cancels the interior monitoring though, not the whole alarm.

As said before, to check:

• Stand outside the car with the driver's window open
  • Single lock the car by pressing the lock button on the remote twice - you will hear a second clunk as the deadlocks disengage
  • Reach into the car after 1 minute (allows car to set alarm) and open using the interior door pull on the driver's door
  • The alarm should go off as you open the door, or may go off as you lean in.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Total closure from the keyfob will be a retrofit, it was never offered as standard on the MK4....

...all Golfs 4's have total closure with central locking and electric windows.
Are you suggesting all Mk4s have total closure and it's just
disabled? Or that it can only be activated using the actual door
lock?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Total closure from the keyfob will be a retrofit, it was never offered as standard on the MK4....

...all Golfs 4's have total closure with central locking and electric windows.
Are you suggesting all Mk4s have total closure and it's just disabled? Or that it can only be activated using the actual door lock?
The total closure can only be activated using the door lock as standard. You can buy a unit to wire up with the factory alarm which enables it on the key fob. Also, most aftermarket alarms can be wired up to use total closure without the need for this unit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I see - reads back not too well.

I meant that if a Golf 4 has central locking and electric windows, it will also have total closure which can be operated from the key in the driver's or passenger's door lock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts