Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys new to this forum but loving it! ot a 4mo at the moment looking at remapping it (without the exhaust for the time being as I am fairly skint) Who would you recommend? is it worth while remapping? whats people's feelings on the performance difference?

Thanks Stu

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
From what I have read in the past most fomo remaps will get you about 20bhp at the wheels and will smooth out the revs.

Worth while doing imo.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi mate, welcome to the forum.

I would deffo not rush into a remap on a 4motion, the benifits are minimal for what you get for your ?

I have had my 4motion for 3years, and i have no plans too (in my opinion) waste ? on a remap for a N/A engine. In my opinion you are better off spending your hard earned cash on handling and brake upgrades because this is the 4motions biggest downfall, because the engine is so heavy the standard suspension is almost dangerous and the standard brakes are questionable aswell! I have found you get allot more bang for your buck taking everyday driving into consideration doing the suspesion and brakes, well worth it.

On the tuning front you can get an exhaust and filter for less than a remap. There aint much point spending ? on remaping a naturally aspirated engine unless its tuned heavily. A bit of advice tho if you really want to do a remap wait untill after you have done the exhaust & filter ect. This way you can get a custom remap which is designed to be ran with a freeflow exhaust ect and probably get better results.

There is plenty people on here that have remapped their 4motion and are probably very happy with it im sure they can recomend a good company to do the remap if thats what you decide to do.

For low cost good quality bits try WWW.MOTORSPORTWORLD.CO.UK

Or for a remap on a 4motion theres AMD, REVO, SKN, SUPERCHIPS, ABT to name a few but as i have no experience with it your best off talking to somone thats had the work done.

again, welcom to the forum.

·
Registered
316 Posts
stu sorted them lights out yet?

stu.. sort yourself out with a blueflame.. manifold back.. and filter..

then think about a remap...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah all fixed now mate, simple stupid cigarette lighter! Thought about an exhaust but even at Blueflame they want ?350 will have to think about it....

·
Registered
316 Posts
just get a downpipe then..

a remap is a total waste of money.. unless you have other mods stu...

not only will your other half slap u silly... ill make sure i get my pimp hand and slap that across your face too..

the only things you need to think about is

exhaust, air filter, hi flow cat, coilovers, upgrade the brakes etc..

but don't see why u want to spend money when you will only swap it for something old again..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha ha no no keeping this one too nice to let it go, I am leaving it for now and deciding what I want to do first just asking hich companies actually do it, unless you lend me ALL your money......

·
Registered
646 Posts
Every performance N/A car I have had and re-mapped/Chipped weither it be 2.5 V6 or 2litre 4 pot has made sod all difference IMO ........dont bother its a waste of money....unless you have a turbo leave it...take it from me you will be dissapointed and feel like you have wasted your money.

Although saying that I have heared good things about the R32 re-map but that is a big mother of an N/A

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes Jo signed up years ago but only just started using it! Thanks for the info peeps reckon I'll be saving up and doing the lot

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
nosaj on here had his done by Revo and said it's transformed the car
Took the words right out of my mouth ......[:D]

admit i have had a carbonio and miltex fitted aswell , but they was fitted before it was mapped

sinces its been mapped by revo ..RRP ?399

It has infact become a difrent car , its much smoother throu the rev range ,and although the power was like very responive before ...it has increased by a good percentage

BHP Gain from the map is 17-21

its more fun to drive since its been done , an i enjoy driving it much more ....[:D]

also mpg has increased on motorway work as it runs smoother

And if ya at any of the meets soon , i would be willing to take ya for a spin in it so ya can see ..[:D]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers Nosaj sounds like a difficult one, in theory the car shouldn't change much but it seems quite a few people are happy with their's once mapped, I used to have a MK2 VR6, that was chipped at AmD cost ?305.... worth every penny the performance was no better really (maybe 5 to 10bhp more) but it smoothed the flat spots out so from around 1500rpm it had full power and torque right to redline made it much more drivable.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Every performance N/A car I have had and
re-mapped/Chipped weither it be 2.5 V6 or 2litre 4 pot has made sod all
difference IMO ........dont bother its a waste of money....unless you
have a turbo leave it...take it from me you will be dissapointed and
feel like you have wasted your money.

Although saying that I have heared good things about the R32 re-map but that is a big mother of an N/A
Why did you map every car if it made no difference the first couple of times?????

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Revo do a free trial of their map so give that a go. That will let you know once and for all.
they dont do trials for the V6 4Motion or the R32 , but do offer a 30 day money back if ya dont like it

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I wouldnt remap it.... at the awesome gti rolling road i was making as
much power as a Standard 225 TT and the 4motions were all making standard VW
figures....

What I have done is this.... smoothed the airbox and added a 100mm cold
air feed, advanced the timing 2.25 degrees and run it on super
plus/optimax/ultimate, all in all my mods cost me ?30 for a vag com
cable to do the timing with vag com......

?30 and I had the highest BHP 4motion on the Awesome RR day the thread and my graph is here somewhere................

See here http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/rollingroad/rr.ukmkiv_14.01.06.html

heres my graph

Posted Image

heres pauls (v6dko standard)

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 21 Posts