Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does this letter sound, it'll give you a insight to what I have gone through?

On 8th May 2006, I brought my Volkswagen Golf V5 (VO51 MKN) to your company as the air conditioning was not working. After examining the car you advised me that it would need re-gassing which would cost me ?96.05 and that this would solve the problem, however it did not. I was advised I needed a new valve block as I had a leak, on the 23rd May the new part was fitted for ?148.05 and I was told it was working. After picking it up to my disappointment I found it wasn't working, I brought it back a little concerned and angry and was told I needed a new filter, but this would definately fix the problem no doubts. On the 26th May the new filter was fitted for ?165.67, I picked my car up and was told it's all working. Again I drive home switch my climate control on and there's no cold air. I phoned immediately extremely mad now as this is not the first time I've been told it's all fixed and it hasn't been also cost is now mounting. After some investigation I'm told I need a new compressor and it's going to cost ?420, I feel totally let down by this point but have it fitted with a guarantee it'll all work, guess what, it did not work, I've now spent ?830.07 with no climate control. I am then told it can only be one other part and this will be fitted free of charge and I will pay only the cost of the part, which I was quoted ?109. On 24th July I drop my car off first thing expecting to pick it up in the evening. I leave work early as I am 40 miles away to come and collect my car, just as I pull up outside your garage I get a phone call saying the part has been fitted but has caused a different problem which wasn't there when I brought my car in. Now my cooling fans constantly run regardless if the engine is on or the aircon is switched on. I am told without my knowledge it has been taken to Autohaus Kettering as Tanvic don't have the expertise to fix this problem. These past 4 weeks I have been constantly on the phone to Autohaus getting updates as you don't seem to be taking any action or responsibility over my car, which was brought to you. To date I still don't have my car back and Autohaus are refusing to continue work on it until someone is willing to pay for the services they have provided.

The total amount I had spent at this point was ?830.07 over a period of 3 months yet still the air conditioning was not working as you had said many times that it would be.

My car has now been with another garage for four weeks. This is completely unacceptable. I have had no communication with you regarding my car and what is happening for over 3 weeks. You seem to have no idea when my car is likely to be returned and I have to work 40 miles away from home, which has not been easy this past month considering you still have my car.

The law states that all services must be carried out with reasonable care and skill, finished within a reasonable time and provided at a reasonable cost. Your company has not met any of the above standards.

From the above date I am giving you 7 days notice to fix my car as you have said you would for the past 3 months and return it, at no further costs or you will be in breach of your contract with me.

Please respond to my complaint within 7 days or I will be forced to persue this further as Trading Standards have been notified of this complaint and are will to assist me on the matter until it has been resolved.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Might be worth speaking to the garage you bought it from first and explain what you want done before you go balls deep into talking about legal action if it can be sorted amicably. If they just mug you off then go for it mate.  

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I didn't get it from a garage, it was a private sale. But when I bought it I didn't have the fan problem and my compressor was engaging as the garage pointed out. Then when I took it back the compressor didn't turn and they put it down to the control box and it getting water in.

It's funny I'm not the only unhappy customer as I came across THIS by accident when looking for there website.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Well take it up with the garage in question who initiated all the work. Be polite and just explain your situation and what you want to happen. If they are not willing to meet you halfway THEN start talking legal at them...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Halfway, I think I've already met them halfway shelling out ?830 and still not having a problem corrected. They will receive the letter tomorrow, then they have it in black and white what I now want. I've been very patient and polite and it's got me nowhere.

I don't like getting into situations like this, but something has to be done now, I need my car back working and fast.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, the letter helped, they have settled the bill at the dealers and are going to take it to a auto electrician to diagnose the fault, but I emailed asking them to clarify diagnose, I want my car back fixed with no further payments required, after all they've had what will be close to grand already. I'm awaiting their reply now.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea might get it back before Chrismtas. It's been taken to a Auto Electricians now to be diagnosed properly then we will take it from there.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FINALLY MY CARS COMING BACK!!!!!!  The stealers had it 4 weeks and couldn't even diagnose the fan problem, the auto electrician needed 3.5 hours. Now the question is should the technicians still have a job at the stealers. I want answers from Volkswagen as this just puts it all into perspective.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He's writing a report, so I don't have full details, it was a wiring fault, when I know the exact cause I'll let you know, I'm so happy to have my car back.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
It does make you wonder sometimes. A garage shouldnt have to pass jobs on. Fair enough ive only been in the trade 4 years and i still have lots to learn but in a garage workshop there should be somebody about who can sort these problems.

The independant garage i work in have never ever sent on a car for somebody else to repair because we cant....we only have 6 technicians...how many do dealers have?

Keep us updated with the report

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Three and a half hours is about right to find a fault such as this,at the end of the day it's a Mk.4 Golf that is still using last centuries technology and not the Starship Enterprise.They should be deeply ashamed of themselves for not being able to carry out the most basic of fault finding procedures,but at least you'll have your car back soon with a fully functioning climate control.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
A good result.  Some dealers just take the pish !!  I once took a Toyota Landcruiser in to 'Toyota' of course and it took them 6 weeks to diagnose a ....wait for it....................fuel filter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I could have told them what it was myself !!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's disgusting isn't it, well I'm gonig to be interested in what Volkswagen have to say about this, I have a good mind to write to Watch dog.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
But another bloody annoying thing, it's been returned minus one of my headlight squirter covers, do they honestly think I wouldn't notice. So I have to moan at them again now, when I bought it one was missing and I hate it, I have to have it looking right. Sweet Jesus some people eh!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts