Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Mk5 TDI for about 4 weeks now from new and to my amazement the MFD was displaying "Check Oil Level"

So I stopped let the engine settle for a bit and checked the oil level and it was bone dry.

All my cars have been from new and I never experienced this.

Is it common with new TDI engines to run low on oil, i can't tell as this is my first diesel that I have owned.

I only do 50 miles a day in the car.

Cheers for any comments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi,

The oil consumption in my car (05 MK5 2.0 TDI) I thought was fairly high - originally "check oil level" would be displayed after around 5000 miles. There's 40,000 odd on my car now and it doesn't use as much. Though I'll not really know that for another few thousand miles.

It does seem high - I'm assuming your car has only 1300 or 1400 miles on it. I would bring it back to the dealer and get them to fill it back up to the level. Just in case it wasn't at the correct level to start with. Then monitor it over the next 1500 miles.

I'm assuming that your car is not smokey or anything like that??? And no oil stains where your car is parked!

Colm

·
Registered
310 Posts
Most VAG engines particaulary the TDIs and the 2L TFSI do burn a fair amount of oil in the first few thousand miles it. It should stop after the piston rings are worn in. It does sound like a fair amount of oil to burn in 1400miles I would keep a close eye on it. When I picked up my Golf the garage told me to check the oil every 100miles for the first couple of thousand to be on the safe side. Mines (2L TFSI) never burnt any oil until it hit about 5k and its went down a little, I'm going to give it a oil change anyway as I always like to change the oil in cars every 5-6k I still don't think even with these long life oils that using the oil for 15-20k is good for the engines so I plan to change the oil in between the long life services.

I would also check the oil manually and not use the MFD to decide when to check the oil as I have seen a couple that have came on when he oil is at min in the dipstick however on a A4 the light came on when when there was only 0.5 L of oil left in the engine it wasn't even touching the dipstick. Pug cars have had a oil level gauge on there cars for years that flash up when you start the car up VW should have something similiar.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the reply mate,

I had to fill the level up my self didn't want to take any chances with it running dry.

I will take it down to the stealers on the weekend and get them to give it the once over.

To be honest I have never looked to see if there are any oil spots, will check today[:D]

cheers

·
Registered
350 Posts
My GT TDI's been fine so far, in fact I checked it last weekend for the first time (1800miles so far) and it was on MAX mark. The oil in mine is the long life stuff.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I think that the handbook says something like upto 1 litre per 1000km. I was one of those - my car used 7 litres in the first 5000 miles. at around ?14 per litre, its not cheap ! The usegae then settled down - about 2 litres in the next 21000 miles

·
Registered
894 Posts
I think that the handbook says something like upto 1 litre per 1000km. I was one of those - my car used 7 litres in the first 5000 miles. at around ?14 per litre, its not cheap ! The usegae then settled down - about 2 litres in the next 21000 miles
Blimey that initial use works out to the equivalent a complete oil change every 3,200 miles odd, certainly wasn't cheap.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Did you check the oil when you collected it? It is possible it came from the factory without enough oil in it.

If not you may have a problem.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My 05 2.0TDI has done 9000 miles and used 2-2.5 litres of oil. Its the only car i have owned that has drunk any oil! It alarmed me to start with but now its just something I check when I wash it or if I know I'm going on a long journey. As I've said before though, I think the dip stick on the golf was designed by its names sake. Its is pretty useless.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 05 2.0TDI has done 9000 miles and used 2-2.5 litres of oil. Its the only car i have owned that has drunk any oil! It alarmed me to start with but now its just something I check when I wash it or if I know I'm going on a long journey. As I've said before though, I think the dip stick on the golf was designed by its names sake. Its is pretty useless.
Is it just me, I have GREAT difficulty trying to determine what level the oil is at using the dip stick?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I Have to agree that the dipstick is next to useless as you just can not tell how much is in easily.

Most cars I have had just had a steel dipstick with a max and min mark,But this useless VW one with the two bits of plastic stuck on is very hard to read and get the correct level consistently it is a very bad design.

My Car used 1 lire of longlife in the first 5,000 miles but then I had it Superchiped and the oil and filter changed to Millers XFE-PD 5/40 Semi synth and in the last 2700 it has only used about 100ml.

When I had the ECU remapped the fitter said that when they service Audi/VW engines they put the Millers oil in and they never hardly use any oil after and I must say I was very sceptical but it has been proved correct in my case.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I Have to agree that the dipstick is next to useless as you just can not tell how much is in easily.

Most cars I have had just had a steel dipstick with a max and min mark,But this useless VW one with the two bits of plastic stuck on is very hard to read and get the correct level consistently it is a very bad design.
Is there an easy way to tell then, as I almost guessed last time!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't think so I just filled it until the top plastic bit had oil on it all around .

If some one could come up with a replacement steel one to fit i bet they would sell.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Its a diesel thing, high compression causes a lot of blow by when its no run in! Takes ages to bed in a diesel, just run it in as per hand book. I now check mine every thousand miles (44K on the clock). I top up perhaps 1 litre every 10K. Make sure you get the right oil.

The oil consumption on my car only settled down at 25-30K. After you've run it in don't granny it too much, give it some right foot (after its warmed up, but not before you turn it off).

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers for the replys lads,

I talked to my man down at the stealers and he said its a common thing with diesels.

I checked for leaks and glad to say there arent any.

I checked the oil first thing when I picked it up from the dealers and it was bang on. So i have just put it down to the simple fact the compression rings have not worn in yet and that whats causing it.

But will definatly keep a close eye on it.

Whats the best oil to use for 2.0 TDI 140?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts