Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, sorry...not sure if this is the correct place.

Just been to get my 4 spoke wheel taken off and 3 spoke put back on (with Cruise control stalk). All went swimmingly...apart from horn wouldn't work. I can't get the horn. [:(]

Anyone tried this? Anyone help?

Cheers

Stew

·
Registered
198 Posts
I changed my standard 4 spoke wheel to the 3 spoke. I got a friend to do it for me who works in a bodyshop. He just connected wiring up - horn and aribag and works as did before.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote: posted by GeordieLife on 08/03/2005 16:41:20

The airbag was different...so I bought one of those too.

Did you fit it yourself Eddy?

Yep, pretty easy job.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right...well, on the 4 spoke wheel there are 5 wires in the loom...2 for airbag, 2 for horn and a yellow one. When the horn is pressed on the 4 spoke wheel, the yellow wire's resistance changes...suggesting it's required for the horn to work...on the 3 spoke wheel, the yellow wire is not there...and the horn doesn't work.

If anyone has a 3 spoke wheel lying around, could you check the loom please?

Cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
For the 3 spoke wheel, there's two wires blue and brown for the airbag and another two, black and brown for the horn I think.

Did you use your old loom for the 3 spoke wheel?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Airbag is fine...it's the remaining three pins. On the 4 spoke wheel, there is a live, a pin for illumination and a pin for the resistance. The horn for the 4 spoke is fired through a controller, which I will need to bypass...i believe. I've managed to get the wiring diagrams for both...nightmare!

·
Registered
703 Posts
The 3 spoke wheels only seem to use 4 wires so yes, you'll have a pin spare in the yellow connector. Even the 4 spoke wheel I took off recently had only 4 wires and a spare slot in the connector(see pic)

Posted Image

What's more, the slip ring assembly that came with a 3 spoke steering wheel also only has 4 pins in it to mate with the connector inside the wheel:

Posted Image

Is the 4 spoke wheel you are taking off a multi-function wheel? If so, perhaps the 5th wire is simply to do with the steering wheel buttons?

Chris

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aye, it's multi-function...sorry, should've said! The buttons are illuminated,

which must be one wire...and the yellow wire changes resistance when the horn is pressed...hmmm

I need to bypass the controller and go directly to the horn! What a chew on!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah...tried it...then took it off, put the 4 spoke back on...and it worked...even saw the circuit change...but with the yellow wire missing, no horn.

·
Registered
703 Posts
OK, I've looked at the diagrams now - how were you planning to get your cruise control to work now that you have removed the MFSW? From the diagrams, the horn push is simply a switch that connects earth (brown) to a feed to the horn relay (brown/white inside the wheel, brown/blue in the car's loom). Unfortunately the same pin (T5b/3)of the steering column slip ring assembly that would supply the switched earth to the relay is used by a +12v ignition switched feed (Black/Blue) on the MFSW equipped car.

You will therefore need to disconnect the Black/Blue wire from the car side of the slip ring assembly and connect this pin of the slip ring through to the brown/blue wire coming out of the MFSW control unit (pin T18c/9) or directly through to the horn relay (S1/6). I'm guessing that the MFSW control unit is situated close to the relay panel under the dash, or is it on the steering column?

Chris

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have no idea where the controller is...we'll have to investigate! I'm no good with this sort of stuff, I have an auto electrician doing all the work for me. He's no expert with VW and has no wiring diagrams so any advice will be much welcomed!

I've put the new stalk on and loom for Cruise Control...that should do the trick?

·
Registered
703 Posts
What did you connect the cruise loom to? Were there already wires in place that you had to remove from the black connector on the bulkhead?

Chris

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, there's already a plug going into the base of the stalk...they appear from somewhere down the steering column.

Presumably from the controller unit...it can't be too far away for them to run a single/pair of cables down the steering column and a

whole loom back up to the base of the stalk.

We didn't wire the new CC loom up at the other end, just left the new stalk on and took the wiring out, replugged the original loom.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts