Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Been working all day on this, I found a very useful thread on the golf gti forum on how to light up factory mk5 boot lights to match the tail lights.

just thought it post sum pictures to show you how I got on.

Tell me what you think

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looks good!

I did mine but I have the OEM LED lights (like the ones on the passats/jettas) instead of the standard.

can i ask where you got them from and how much? did you have to change any wiring for the inner lights to light up?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got the OEM LED rears from ebay.de for about £285 and then had the hatch lights modified to take a red LED ring.

I then made up a custom loom and fiddled with the VCDS to get the skyline effect.

All in all its probably cost me £450-£500

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got the OEM LED rears from ebay.de for about £285 and then had the hatch lights modified to take a red LED ring.

I then made up a custom loom and fiddled with the VCDS to get the skyline effect.

All in all its probably cost me £450-£500
top stuff mate, i doff my cap, that cant have been a 5 min job

·
Registered
211 Posts
@Phil Ha no mate, 6 mins.........[;)]

@OP Have you wired them into the rear clusters so they work when the tailights come on? or are you using the 12v feed in the boot? Any idea what your gonna do when/if a lamp blows? I assume they are siliconed in? I did this mod for a mate a while back...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I drilled a 2 holes in each and wired sidelights in with a bit of silicone and ran a wire to the 12v socket in the boot, so they come on in with the ignition. I wanted to wire them to the tail lights but for some reason they were only 2.4v

·
Registered
211 Posts
I drilled a 2 holes in each and wired sidelights in with a bit of silicone and ran a wire to the 12v socket in the boot, so they come on in with the ignition. I wanted to wire them to the tail lights but for some reason they were only 2.4v
Yes that's right, the only other way I thought of doing it was to feed a relay from the 12v socket and control it from the tail light.

My LED versions are connected to the tail light and brake functions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts