Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst driving through Nottingham today, I came up to a set of lights, in the left lane behing a ford fiasco, & up pulls this yuppy plonker in his 318c ,& his footballers wife bird is with him.

Lights turn green he launches it away & frys the FF,I laughing my ass off & so is my bird, & at the next set of lights low & behold, im next him & guess what, he does the same,

but this time he tastes my diesel soot, & funny how he didnt try it at the next lights, wonder why ?? [^]

Why is it that BMW driver think even their humble 318's are really M3's.[V]

Imagine his bird telling his mates he was whoooped by a VW & its was a diesel too [:D]

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have to agree that alot of 3 series drivers are the same; I had a Y reg 325 for a year and even that wasn't particularly quick away from the lights(too heavy). I cannot understand why so may people buy 316/318s. They do handle well but they've got barely enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding so what's the point?

·
Banned
774 Posts
Quote: posted by matt747 on 06/02/2005 22:48:59

I have to agree that alot of 3 series drivers are the same; I had a Y reg 325 for a year and even that wasn't particularly quick away from the lights(too heavy). I cannot understand why so may people buy 316/318s. They do handle well but they've got barely enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding so what's the point?

Similar to the reasons people have 1.4+1.6 MKIV's. They are still a good car.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by matt747 on 06/02/2005 22:48:59

I cannot understand why so may people buy 316/318s.

The majority of drivers are happy with that, they don't want 'performance'. Not everyone wants an R32 or 330i.

·
Registered
796 Posts
yep there's always room for more "bread and butter" motors.

after all, without them, the top of the range models wouldn't be... er, top of the range would they?!

·
Registered
666 Posts
It's all very well saying not everyone wants a fast car but why do hairdryer engined BMW drivers still think they own the road?

It's what has trashed the BMW brand in my eyes - Too much aiming at the social climbers that are middle management with chip on their shoulder.

"I've got a BMW" is considered sufficient entry into anywhere.

"So what?" is usually my answer.

"I've got a VW" - Could be a 1.0l litre Polo or a Phaeton W12 so no posing there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ah, wonderful generalisations again..... I had a Golf (GT TDi)and now have a BMW (320d sport touring), so I must have a split personality, used to be OK but now a complete tw*t. My poor old next door neighbour must be really confused - he's had Golf (1.8T), then BMWs of 318i SE and 325i Sport persuasions - and now a z4. so is he a decent bloke, an upwardly mobile aspirational pillock, a real driver or a hairdresser. Actually its worse - he's an estate agent....

anything else we can generalise about....accountants, teachers, weirdo internet geeks, football hooligans....

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by isleaiw on 07/02/2005 15:42:39

... Actually its worse - he's an estate agent....

Excellent!

I've got both a GT TDi and a 320d Touring - does that make me a tw*t and OK at the same time?(I can just hear someone at the back saying 'no you're a tw*t all the time[:eek:)]!') or do I have a split personality.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Years ago I had a 1275GT Mini and used to drive it out of the City of London back to west London each night.

I used to have so much fun as I drove through Earls Court at each set of lights with BMW drivers...they used to just see a Mini, until I floored it and off I shot....

The only drivers on the same "look at me in my XXX" where Porsche 924 and 944 drivers...again, the Mini used to enjoy showing them the Bye Bye GTi sticker in my back window...

·
Banned
774 Posts
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 07/02/2005 15:14:55

It's all very well saying not everyone wants a fast car but why do hairdryer engined BMW drivers still think they own the road?

It's what has trashed the BMW brand in my eyes - Too much aiming at the social climbers that are middle management with chip on their shoulder.

"I've got a BMW" is considered sufficient entry into anywhere.

"So what?" is usually my answer.

"I've got a VW" - Could be a 1.0l litre Polo or a Phaeton W12 so no posing there.

I wouldn't have thought that owning a 3 series BMW in any way confers any kind of status or exclusivity. They outsell Mondeo's don't they?

In the circles I move in, the people I know etc cars don't have much in the way of kudos attached to them. For example one of the wealthiest individuals I know drives a Fiat 500.

Must be a UK class thing I guess.

I think maybe my cousin who lives in a new build shoebox estate house thinks his E46 M3 is some type of trinket like his Rolex, just don't see it myself. Real money isn't about ostentatious trinkets.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Sammyboy - Exactly but a lot of owners think it's their ticket to class and style.

It's 330s or M3s I get stuck on my tail (when I'm being sensible), it's 316s, 318s an 320s (or 5 series equivalents).

I'd actually rather have a Mondeo/Avensis/407/etc than a small engined BMW.

Far less social baggage attached.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It?s very much the opposite for me - I?m so poor, what with car payments, mortgage and various associated costs, I rarely drive my M3 at over 20mph as not to wear down the tires excessively, conserve petrol etc.. [:eek:)]

I leave the lunatic driving to the Impreza drivers! [;)]

1 - 20 of 57 Posts