Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade the brakes on my 1.8t. Can't afford brembos so was looking at TT brakes.

Any opinions on whether it is a worth while conversion and would i see a noticable difference over just upgrading my current discs and pads?

Also what would i need to do the conversion and will they fit behind my 16inch monty 2's

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Definately worthwhile. Theyll fit behind your Monty's no problem.

Even using stock discs and pads when i did the upgrade on my GTI there was a massive improvement. I'd fully recommend it, especially to the remapped people, like yourself!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
zeke - AFAIK it's just the carriers you'll need (and new discs and pads of course!). 17mm bolts hold them onto the hub so make sure you've got the right socket. I think Mike posted the part no's for the discs and pads from GSF recently and the carriers are available from VAGparts or the stealer.

kris - with a 115 you'll need to change the whole hub including calipers etc. The discs on a 115 are 280mm and the caliper carriers (carriers being the bit that holds the caliper in place on the hub and allows it to move as the brakes operate) are cast as part of the hub.

GTis and TDIs 130 upwards have 288mm discs with the same hub as the TT/4mo. By simply changing the carriers the calipers are mounted further away from the hub allowing the use of a larger disc - 312mm in this case. The extra force applied means much greater stopping power even from std TT parts.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Quote: posted by Richard W on 10/02/2005 11:04:17

Have you got those p/nos Mike?

FRONT DISCS: 62374F (312mm - Zimmerman Drilled)

FRONT PADS: 64331F (Pagid Fast Road)

These are the GSF part numbers.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote: posted by HardeepG on 11/02/2005 00:44:55

Would definately be up for a group buy on this. Being a bit on the young side, do insurance companies penalise for this?

Insurance penalise for nearly everything [:(!]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I've just bought a pair of hubs complete with calipers discs etc from the classifieds on here (Thanks Tom!)

It's a bolt on conversion - driveshaft/ball joint/strut/trackrod end/caliper hose check the alignment and Robert's your mothers brother.... anything over about 60k miles and it'd be worth putting new bearings/hose/ball joint in when you do it.

Keep an eye out on the classifieds here, eBay and breakers - be warned though sometimes the parts from breakers are not entirely straight!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts