Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Are you looking at getting one Tony?

I wish i could buy one at present. Fingers crossed for a lotto win!!!

Tam

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
my mate placed an order for one back in september when the dealer had next to no details on it!!!! hes gone for a silver one with sunroof, and 6cd changer. he expects to take delivery mid to late Jan 07.

·
Registered
582 Posts
There was a topic on this a couple of weeks back - somebody had posted up an official VW memo about it.

I think you could get all the usual GTi options with the exception of Recaros and leather. I think the number being built was 1500 but they won't have number plaques like the mk4

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you looking at getting one Tony?

I wish i could buy one at present. Fingers crossed for a lotto win!!!

Tam
I thought about it long and hard, but it's not doing enough for me to part with the money... I'd set my heart on Candy White, cloth Recaros, 18"s (imo nicer than the edition 30 wheels... they should have been 19"s) with the usual other options and whilst the 25th AE is by no means a perfect car I've not got that desire for a 30 that I had with mine.

I see it as an opportunity to get what I want cheaper and no doubt in a few months some more liberal dealers will be offering the 230bhp flash image on the sly anyway so I won't be lacking in the power dept either.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think the ordinary GTI is pretty well sorted anyway...so there's not much needed for the 30th Anniversary...just a little understated still

Not like the Mk4 where the standard GTI was very dull looking...the 25th Anniversary was sorely needed to improve the looks, IMHO

It's also now on the configurator on http://www.volkswagen.de

Some images from the configurator after playing around...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm loving the Grey one, I will get myself back down the dealer's this week to see what can be had in terms of a deal...... although being VW I guess it's list price or nothing.

Peter, if you don't mind me asking, did you manage to get anything off the list price?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Tony

No, I didn't get anything off list, but I didn't really press for one either...they kinda made clear that they wouldn't offer any discount

I'm more interested in squeezing a better trade in price or finance rate off them at the time [;)]

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Think you might struggle for a deal on one,on average it's 3 per dealer and one has to be a demo or showroom car.I bet most dealers have sold at least one already.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well..... spoke to 3 dealers and none of them would even entertain a discount..... fair enough I guess as I didn't get one on my MKIV Anni.

Does anyone know if your order the DSG version does it automatically come with paddles? One dealer told me I had to buy the MFSW with paddles in order to get these?

·
Registered
579 Posts
So there building a 5 door version aswell.

so will that be 750 3 doors and 750 5 doors do we reckon.

Tbh i'm not really likeing it.

edit : i reckon they will do 1500 of each model

·
Registered
301 Posts
Rang VW Info line to ask about what the insurance group 30th AE GTI will be. All they could tell me is that it will be between Grp 17 and 20!

Anyone have any idea what the insurance will be?

As far as I know you do get the paddles with the DSG.

BUT do you get the heated seats with the half leather? A little tight if you don't!

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Tbh i'm not really likeing it
Not necessarily, the MKIII was a whole mis-match of numbers here there and everywhere... from what I can glean from VW, there's 1500 and you can order then with whatever you want as per a normal GTI (save for the Recaros) in any of the 4 guises??

Too many colours, too many variations = every GTI on the road turned into a look-a-like and little way of telling without a close inspection.

Should have been served up with "tough s**t" spec like last time, 3 doors, 3 colours and personally I think the lack of the 170tdi is silly when they surely know how popular it was from last time.
It's already a brilliant car, so a 2k premium + I expect they'll be specced sky high with the intention of selling them on at a further profit = a lot of dough.... It'll be a good second hand buy in a few years though once they calm down and the enthusiasts get their mitts on them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm just looking at a German GTI forum (www.golf5gti.com) just now, using my schoolboy German to try and read!!

Engine code for the Edition 30 seems to be BYD

and there is a post entitled "Jubi GTI selber Turbo wie im neuen S3 verbaut !!!!!"

which means "Anniversary GTI has the same turbo as the new S3!!", with a few posters saying that the turbo part number seems to match that of the S3, having cross-referenced on ETKA

I can't see that being true but it could be interesting...we need more info!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Well..... spoke to 3 dealers and none of them would even entertain a discount..... fair enough I guess as I didn't get one on my MKIV Anni.

Does anyone know if your order the DSG version does it automatically come with paddles? One dealer told me I had to buy the MFSW with paddles in order to get these?
Yes with DSG it does come with paddles on the GTI.

You don't need MFSW.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Tbh i'm not really likeing it
Not necessarily, the MKIII was a whole mis-match of numbers here there and everywhere... from what I can glean from VW, there's 1500 and you can order then with whatever you want as per a normal GTI (save for the Recaros) in any of the 4 guises??

Too many colours, too many variations = every GTI on the road turned into a look-a-like and little way of telling without a close inspection.

Should have been served up with "tough s**t" spec like last time, 3 doors, 3 colours and personally I think the lack of the 170tdi is silly when they surely know how popular it was from last time.
It's already a brilliant car, so a 2k premium + I expect they'll be specced sky high with the intention of selling them on at a further profit = a lot of dough.... It'll be a good second hand buy in a few years though once they calm down and the enthusiasts get their mitts on them.
Tony, you've hit the nail right on the head. I agree with your comments about too much choice and too many options..... it should have been stock car like my 25th Anni which made it feel so special.

With the specification I desire the car is priced at just over ?25k, which is new S3 territory.

Would I be flamed alive on here for saying I'm now considering buying a Clio Sport 197 ? I can get one to my spec and the dealer is willing to do a deal which means I get all my options for free..... for ?16k I get a pocket rocket which looks great IMO and feels very well bolted together.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had a sit in the Clio Sport 197 at Goodwood Festival of Speed before it was out and I thought it was great it looks good with its rear diffuser and wide front wings etc and is good value only thing is it will not be worth much after 3 years and Renaults are not the best built cars but then neither are VW nowadays !.

It is the sort of car that you have to drive hard to get the best from it also It does not have the tuning potential unlike a turbo GTI where you can get another 30hp for less than ?500.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tony, you've hit the nail right on the head. I agree with your comments about too much choice and too many options..... it should have been stock car like my 25th Anni which made it feel so special.

With the specification I desire the car is priced at just over ?25k, which is new S3 territory.

Would I be flamed alive on here for saying I'm now considering buying a Clio Sport 197 ? I can get one to my spec and the dealer is willing to do a deal which means I get all my options for free..... for ?16k I get a pocket rocket which looks great IMO and feels very well bolted together.
Different kettle of fish - but 9k saving will get you a second hand Elise or something fun for the track, or whatever else you can think of to blast it on. Look at what Seat are offering in the new Leon Cupra for ?19,500 - I nearly coughed up my brew when the dealer told me the price this morning... my mate was virtually counting money out ready to order one there and then when I told him.

It's a shame most of them are going to go to greedy dealers who'll stack them sky high in the Trader for those not quick enough to order one themselves, but I think in a few years they'll be a brilliant car to pick up and keep as an enthusiast - I'm just not prepared to pay the premium, which is gutting really as I'd had such high hopes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts