Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha Ha top picture Pat! Thats not a good look though and not at all what I am after.

The thing is I had fitted a 30mm bilstien eibach kit last summer and I wish I had gone for coilovers as the end result is not low enough. I cant be arsed with all the hassle of changing everything over now coz it would cost too much. So my thinking was to lower the rear end a bit more because it does sit quite a lot higher.

Correct me if I am wrong but when you have coilovers fitted you can set them to your choice of height and often the rear is set lower than the front, is it not?

Thanks, Jon[Y]

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but when you have coilovers fitted you can set them to your choice of height and often the rear is set lower than the front, is it not?
That's right, most people do that. They're doing it wrong though
I'll be fitting coillies soon, what are the recommended settings for sitting level? or is it trail n error?

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Sorry Ste, only just saw this

For me, set the fronts up first. Go to a height you're happy with. Don't even install the rears until you have this bit sorted.

Then when you're satisfied with the fronts, measure the gap from arch to top of rim. Install the rears and ensure that the gap on the rears is the same or greater than that of the fronts.

Visually, it'll look great, whatever height you're at.

So simple, yet 9 out of 10 people cannot see this and just deck the rear as low as possible.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Sorry Ste, only just saw this

For me, set the fronts up first. Go to a height you're happy with. Don't even install the rears until you have this bit sorted.

Then when you're satisfied with the fronts, measure the gap from arch to top of rim. Install the rears and ensure that the gap on the rears is the same or greater than that of the fronts.

Visually, it'll look great, whatever height you're at.

So simple, yet 9 out of 10 people cannot see this and just deck the rear as low as possible.
Thanks Pat, only problem is i'll be fitting all in one day at my mates garage. Dont have the space at mine. Was going to go for something mild like -35 / -40 untill they settle then work from there ??

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Reverse rake is a big no no.

If you lower the car so the front and rear arch gaps are the same, this will maintain a little normal rake. This is a good thing.

Some spring kits often drop the front nicely, but rarely the rear.

Worth considering is that the rear springs from a set of coilovers with the adjusters will give you height adjustment on the back (assuming you're already happy with the front!), so you can get a decent stance.

I'm currently on Koni shocks with mix and match lowering springs. The from sits nicely, maybe 45-50mm, no arb issues. The back is almost as low as it needs to be, at least when there's plenty of fuel in it.[:)] But it's not quite low enough, and bugs me a bit!

It rides nicely and handles well, and I see no point of changing the lot for a full coilover kit to achieve a bit of stance, when in theory if I can pick up the rear springs and adjusters off some coilies I can sort the only bit that needs sorting.

Only thing is, to my (limited) knowledge, it's hard to buy just the springs and adjusters new at a sensible price.

Food for thought though eh lads....?

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Ste, not a problem. Get it all fitted and give it a couple of weeks to settle. Then get the fronts adjusted to your liking, and set the rears accordingly. Or get Matt on it whilst you supply him with cups of tea [:D]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.