Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a Dofus question so sorry in advance, but do the front seats on a 3 door Mk5 only hinge forward or do the lower seat section slide when the lever by the headrest is lifted.

I seam to remember reading about easy entry seats??

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yes, the back tilts first, then the whole seat slides. Not as easy to use as the Mkiv, though. If you're not familiar, you can get in a right pickle, and "lose" the seat position. Much prefer the Mkiv pop up seats.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Yes Mate, I tried a couple of times, am I really such a limp wristed wimp I cant slide the seat along.?
Presumably yours is a new car? If so it takes a while for them to loosen up, mine were very stiff and took a fair amount of sliding (ooh er!) before they worked satisfactorily.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Tilt the back fully forward before sliding the base.

To use the "memory" function you must slide the base back before putting the seat back upright.

They are quite robust, which I like.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I just tried again and really gave them both a yank, but nothing.I think I've put me back out[:'(]
You'll need to get your dad to do it for you [:p]

Either that or take it down the dealer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
hi mate i had the same prob with my passenger seat , turned out that the base was faulty , (cables came de-tached) had the base replased on warrenty . all good now , dealer said it was common

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that info gillm,I think it must be something like that as I tried again last night with some major force (whoever he is) and I nearly popped something,going to call the $tealer today.

Regards Del.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got off the phone to the dealer,cars going in Saturday morning for a quick inspection, then taking it on from there.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Erf this old chesnut, took me bloody weeks to get it right.

The way I seem to find it works. From upright, pull the handle and push the back of the seat right forward - you should feel (if not hear) it click and kind of lock in place. At that point, lean on the back of the seat by the head rest, and the whole seat should slide forward without virtually any resistance whatsoever. If you hear it clicking like it's snagging on jaws, you've got the back of the seat pushed forward but not quite locked.

Anyway, dump the dead body in the back seat, and it should again slide back without any issue. When you can't push it back any further it SHOULD in theory (doesn't always work [:(]) be back in the original position. At this point, pull the handle on the top of the seat and push the upright part of the seat back into position - and it should be as good as new.

If you're finding then when you pull the upright seat forward at the beginning quite hard, and the seat still will not move, sounds like something's not right in the mechanism.

In the long term - I reckon these are going to a NIGHTMARE on the warranty side of things - as someone else said earlier the mk4's were MUCH simpler and worked better - although they don't (imo) give quite as big an access as these things do (when they work!)

C

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok Pep's,update.

After a early morning visit to the dealer so they could investigate the problem, the fitter takes a look under both front seats with a torch,when he come back up for air he says, "It looks like they have fitted 2 front seat chassis from a 4 door model"

So she going back in on the 20th for further work.

I'll keep you posted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts