Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

29 years ago today .....

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  marriedblonde 
#1 ·
Star Wars hit the UK cinemas.

Seems like only yesterday, where does time go.

#10 ·
I saw it the day after it was released in this country at the Odeon in Leicester square,which made our local cinema look like a portable telly.It was the first time I'd been treated to proper surround sound (was it Dolby in those days,or THX or similar?),and that very first scene with I think an Empire ship chasing a rebel ship that filled the whole screen just blew my mind,and the aerial dog fight sequence towards the end in and out of the channels on the Death Star is still good today and almost certainly set the standard for ALL similar scenes since that,but that still has no equal even to this day.

Chris.

#13 ·
I saw it the day after it was released in this country at the Odeon in Leicester square,which made our local cinema look like a portable telly.It was the first time I'd been treated to proper surround sound (was it Dolby in those days,or THX or similar?),and that very first scene with I think an Empire ship chasing a rebel ship that filled the whole screen just blew my mind,and the aerial dog fight sequence towards the end in and out of the channels on the Death Star is still good today and almost certainly set the standard for ALL similar scenes since that,but that still has no equal even to this day.

Chris.
It was more than likely just stereo back then as pro-logic and the digital age hadn't been invented as far as I know. THX isn't a sound format either though it is commonly misconceived as one. It is a set of parameters that amps and speakers must obtain if they wish to gain THX certification.

#14 ·

Chris.
It was more than likely just stereo back then as pro-logic and the digital age hadn't been invented as far as I know. THX isn't a sound format either though it is commonly misconceived as one. It is a set of parameters that amps and speakers must obtain if they wish to gain THX certification.
It was definately some sort of surround sound,maybe just processed with a delay on the rear speakers,but it was certainly a bit more than normal stereo.But at that age,it was without doubt the most mindblowing thing I'd ever heard.

Chris.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.