Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been planning to do this mod since I bought the car and with this Bank holiday I decided to bite the bullet and go for it.

I bought a couple of headlights off ebay for ?35 delivered and destroyed them to get the glass lens off intact.

CLICK HERE for the PDF file I created on how I did the mod...................enjoy!!!

Posted Image

·
Registered
59 Posts
Excellent guide and very good results! They look great.

I noticed the VW emblem on the lights too, where did you get them from?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sourced them off a Mk5 golf in the breakers as the dealer can not supply them with out the headlight, and to get to them the Mk5 headlight has to be smashed.............once they are out, it is quite easy to craft them to the Mk4 headlight as they slide in from the rear of the unit with little modification.

Got them free in the end from the breaker as he could not see any use for them [:D][:$]

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The spare lenses are the ones I got off the cheap OEM eBay items, so at the start of the project I had 2 sets of lights.

The set on the car were smashed to take apart and the cheap set were hacked in half so that I could remove the lenses and clean off adhesive if that makes sense [:S]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Thats one of the most usefull how to guides mate. [y][y] Got me tempted
to do mine now. Also where did you get the spare lenses from??

Thanks Sonny

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Umrelt - that looks REALLY good!! How did you get the headlight
lenses off of the other set of headlights without breaking them?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The lenses (UK ones anyway) would not seperate with gentle manipulation [:mad:], hot air gun [8o|] or in the oven which was hot enough to give me a blister.

VW have stuck them together really well and by either cutting the headlight off the lens or smashing the lens is the only way I could seperate the two. I have split headlights before and for example, my Saxo MK1 and 2 were placed in the oven for 5min and the lenses popped right off

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Great little mod - well done.

I am glad you are just making small improvements to Sem's prvious car as it is such a looker.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
full respect from me Mike, especially taking a hammer to your OE headlights. Its the only way :eek:]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I can see headlamps going for alot more than ?35 on ebay now, TBH I
think there is a way to split these lights as Jimmy V5 used to do this
as service for ?50 or something, maybe if someone could contact him
they could find out how he split the lights

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
they could find out how he split the lights
Jimmy used a chemical solution. I remember reading various posts about it, but can't remember the name. I am sure it was pretty harsh stuff and not the type of thing you could buy over the counter.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Quick question, you've got your lights split and you've done the mod so your left with one good headlamp without glass and one good piece of glass. What do you use to mate them back together?

Paul.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used the big brother of "No Nails"

It is the super strength stuff that can be used for outside and is weather resistant. It can bond two materials that are both non porous and remains flexible...............i will get its exact name later on.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I used the big brother of "No Nails"

It is the super strength stuff that can be used for outside and is weather resistant. It can bond two materials that are both non porous and remains flexible...............i will get its exact name later on.
Hiya mate,

I am going to be doing the 'Umrelt' headlight mod this weekend! Can you do me a favour please? Can you find out the name of the adhesive you used to stick the lights together? Thanks!

Also do you have any tips for separating the lenses from the light units on the spare set of headlights I have bought? I don't wanna crack the glass by accident.

Cheers,

Rye

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.