Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had their GTI tuned to 240bhp plus? I'm interested to know how you rate the performance after the remap? Have you lost to low down torque and aquired more lag? Can the front wheels cope with more power? Most info I've gathered shows 0-60 in about six seconds woth around 240bhp and 0 - 100mph down to around 15 secs. Top end comes up to 150mph +.

·
Registered
27 Posts
using Superchips to boost the power, but limited to 240bhp because using original exhaust.  the GTI obviously gives much faster acceleration, (sorry, no times) but still not much extra top speed.  i did 245km/h on the highway, but ran out of straight road to top this further.   however, it is more fun to spin the wheels at traffic lights.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Can't recall which one but one of this months car magazines was talking regards the new Seat FR and that it will kick out 240bhp or just below (238bhp?)  using the same 2.0 FSI unit in the GTI - they also state that the GTI will also receive the same upgrade?!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know AmD can get 250bhp plus from a GTI - just want to hear from someone who's actually had their GTI tuned... somehow I don't think VW will bring out a GTI with 240bhp plus as it'll be faster than the new R32! Nice thought though...

·
Registered
182 Posts
the mk4 never got the 225 or 210 bhp 1.8T engine , so be surprised if the gti sees the 240 soon, espe cially while it's still selling well

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
using Superchips to boost the power, but limited to 240bhp because using original exhaust. the GTI obviously gives much faster acceleration, (sorry, no times) but still not much extra top speed. i did 245km/h on the highway, but ran out of straight road to top this further. however, it is more fun to spin the wheels at traffic lights.
How many GTI's are threre in HK?

I saw a real minter bright read one (immaculate in fact) outside the Excelsior hotel in Causeway Bay a few weeks back!! Not yours was it!!?.

·
Registered
27 Posts
unfortunately, my GTI is black. i thought less people would choose black, but apparently more than 40% did. i would prefer to buy Grey or Silver if given a second chance.

Posted Image

the local VW dealer said they have sold over 300 units. that is a big figure for a small market such as HK. first deliveries started in Apr2005

·
Registered
27 Posts
when i first ordered my GTI, i planned to have carbon fibre bonnet, so i thought Black will be nice (since the laws here require you to re-register multiple colour schemes)

i think Grey or Silver would highlight the black grilles and the red line. White is a difficult colour to keep clean.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My GTI is Custom Code Tuned. not sure of the 0-60 (possibly under 5.8) but it will run to 102mph in 14.1 seconds at Santapod.
I beleive it is running around 245bhp. No torque steer but on the limit of how much sensible power could be put through the front wheels. any more and I think it would be a lot harder to launch and possibly lose time on a 1/4 mile sprint. Top end will hit around 176 on the speedo (maybe 155mph?)

As standard my GTI run a 1/4 mile in 14.8 seconds @ 94mph.

James.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks James - that's exactly what I needed to know! I'm taking mine to AmD for a Milltek and remap to 250bhp ish. My concern lies in actually being able to put the power down and not introducing a heap of turbo lag, when of course in standard trim the car pulls from low revs and there's very little hint of lag. When I had my TT modded by AmD to 275bhp it totally changed the character of the power delivery and although it's very smooth, the pwer really comes in slowly until 3,500 rpm, then wooooooosh! That's 4WD though and even with the xtra horses, totally copes with it - the ESP rarley comes on. I get 0-60 in 5.7 secs and 100mph in 14 secs. Mid range thrust is awsome and it's a match for a Scooby STI on the road - as my mate has one of those and there's little to choose between the performance of our cars when we've had a play. Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
554 Posts
My GTI is Custom Code Tuned. not sure of the 0-60 (possibly under 5.8) but it will run to 102mph in 14.1 seconds at Santapod.
I beleive it is running around 245bhp. No torque steer but on the limit of how much sensible power could be put through the front wheels. any more and I think it would be a lot harder to launch and possibly lose time on a 1/4 mile sprint. Top end will hit around 176 on the speedo (maybe 155mph?)

As standard my GTI run a 1/4 mile in 14.8 seconds @ 94mph.

James.
I'd agree with what you have said James. Mine has been superchipped and R/R to 237bhp on the day. I suffer no obvious turbo lag, in fact the car runs almost exactly like pre-remap just a hell of a lot quicker. On damp days the traction control lights are a lot keener to start flashing if pressing on but no real understeer problems.

I would hesitate to take it beyond the extra 40 bhp I have as I believe it may spoil what is a very balanced package, after all power is nothing without traction [;)]. I was considering going for a Miltek but for the afore mentioned reason have now decided not to bother plus it sounds pretty cool anyway, IMO a remap should enhance the car and not completely alter all its characteristics, I feel S/chips have achieved this for me so I'm more than happy with the results.

The car is dramatically quicker in every gear with greater torque so in daily use I'm now actually using a little less fuel due to the old more power at lower revs scenario, no times available just a daft grin after some fun[:)]

Many people may say the GTI doesn't need any more power and to a point they are correct but if a little indulgence is what you are after the cost of the average remap (?443 through superchips HQ) is worth every penny in the added grin factor alone.

*Ooetinger now offer a remap via OBDII which I believe is switchable from the cruise control (if fitted) - similar power claims of + 40bhp - this would probably tempt me if I was looking at this current time although it isn't cheap.*

Don't know if the attached dyno plots will help give an indication of on the road power delivery, ignore the 'wobbly' bits as these don't translate into how the car actually feels on the road, note the power tracks the original trail just creating more torque & Bhp, my car had covered under 3K at the time so maybe it would produce a little more now, either way there is more than enough for me.....

Posted Image

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah seen quite a few black GTI in Hong Kong, SuperJohn are you working in HK? i am working in Hong Kong for the past year now but sold my MK4 GTI T while i was in the UK  

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
the local VW dealer said they have sold over 300 units. that is a big figure for a small market such as HK. first deliveries started in Apr2005
My friend told me the new GTI is hot stuff in HK, which is cool considering the MkIV Anni got an allocation of about 10(?!) units over there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts