Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above really any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Obviously the V5 (170bhp) is going to be alot higher to insure than the 130pd, for which I have had quotes of ~?1100 and is going to use alot more fuel.

If i get the 130pd remaped i figure it is going to be putting out a similar power output to the V5, yes?

If so which will be quicker straight line and real driving performance wise....

And are there any other considerations I should be looking at?

As my signature says i currently have a 115pd but am looking to get something a bit lower milage and newer with a bit more power now im 21.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The V5 is a very different drive to any of the PD engines... you best
drive one to see if you prefer it (i assume you will but thats not the
question!).

The problem you're likely to have due to your age is getting an insurer
to touch you on a remapped car. It's something that i can only now look
at, being 25.

Is fuel cost an issue, do you do many miles? If so its pointless thinking outside of a diesel...

You might not actually get insured on a V5, im sure its either a group 15 or 16 which is quite high.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a V5 when I was 21 and I got insurance easy through Elephant. Cost 700 full comp, no claim protection etc. It was quite a thirsty car but great fun to drive and fantastic on long runs. It was just the step up I was looking for. My vote would be V5 everytime

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok guys good comments so far cheers, I do about 17,000 miles a year so i figure thats just about ok petrol wise, if i cant get the pd remapped then im defo thinking that I should go for the v5, but does anyone have any ideas about comparisions performance wise, I mean I no they are both going to go about it in a very different way but.....

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Doing 17,000 miles, from a V5 owner, go for a PD! An extra 20 miles every single gallon of fuel is not to be sniffed at when your doing 17k a year!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry did u say it cost you ?700 a year in insurance, im lucky if i can get it below 1500, and i tried elephant, 1750.No accidents or anything. Is yours the 150 or 170 because that seems to make a big difference? Also have you done pass plus or anything else to get your insurance down?

It seems that the 1.8t is cheaper for me than the v5 to insure? by about ?400 surprised me but does that sound right?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Itll depend massively on where you live, thats what has always hurt me with insurance quotes.

The 1.8T is probably less expensive to insure because of the engine
size, once you seem to hit 2 litres it just spirals. However i wouldnt
recommend a 150bhp V5 OR 1.8T.... both are pretty lifeless.

The 180bhp 1.8T or 170 V5 sound the best option, but again, insurance increases for those too..

How much are you likely gonna spend? You might be able to get a 150PD
which should more than keep you happy in standard trim for a while.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Im selling my 115pd shortly and then I have some extra cash so realisticly I guess max of 9500 and I dont really wanna buy anything with more than 40,000 on the clock because I want to be able to keep it for a few years.

I didnt think this would be enough for the 150pd?

I think the 180 is probs out of the question insurance wise and the 170 v5 is starting to look rather boderline so I am thinking that I may have to stay on the desiel route unless its the 1.8T which I know people complain about but would it not be the best I can get for now?

Oh and I live in Sevenoaks, Kent, not normally too bad or so I thought

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
That sort of money would get you a nice Seat Toledo/Leon 180 or an Octavia vRS. You could probably also find a Fabia vRS for that money.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I agree with Eddy...... try insurance for one of those 3 cars.

Put it this way, you can get my car now for around that money..... and thats a 53 plate with 20k or less on it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry not keen on the bora im afraid and I am really trying to get back to the petrol if i can.......

Dont like the fabias or teledos, ok thats not spelt right but..... quite like the idea of a leon though, although are they very reliable and am I going to loose a shed load over say the next two years?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right well the octavia vRS and Leon Curpa are both coming up as ?200 more than the V5 170bhp, which I do love the sound of, so unless anyone knows of any cheaper insurance companies to look for, iv managed to get that down to ?1450

or any other ideas for cars,

your help is greatly appreciated guys, thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with a 150hp 18T Golf! If your going to chip it anyway the later ones return exactly the same power as the 180hp version! 180hp Golfs are harder to find and for you sort of money you will get a loaded, low mileage, 02/03 AUM and change to throw at it!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
You might not actually get insured on a V5, im sure
its either a group 15 or 16 which is quite high.
Sorry did u say it cost you ?700 a year in
insurance, im lucky if i can get it below 1500, and i tried elephant,
I was 21 when I got the V6 4motion and I think thats group 17? It was
?670FC with Egg, I had 4 years NCB. V5 should be fine, but definetly
drive one to see if its your thing

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I reckon that insurance companies vary so much, just search. I
was paying ?500 a yr with ?250 excess with my Golf as it was, then a
year later I told them I'd added a tuning box & alloys and they
wanted ?1100 with ?700 excess! I looked around and got it for
?520 with ?175 excess! I would say a PD and chip it - more
torque, better fuel economy, more of a surprise for those badboys being
out-paced by a diesel.

ALTHOUGH - I've never driven a V5 & I own a diesel, so I can't really give a balanced opinion!

·
Registered
172 Posts
08709090996 MCE is the name of the insurancei use. i am 17 and they are the only people that insured me on my 130pd.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Just incase you might reconsider the Fabia vRS there's a 1yr old one for sale on briskoda, details are:

'54 Red Fabia vRS
19,000 miles
1 owner, Full skoda service history
Great condition. Only faults I know about are a cracked front fog light and a slight scratch in the rear bumper about 1 inch long - it's hardly visible.

Extras
Xenon headlamps
Cruise Control
Clifford Intelliguard 950 alarm/immobiliser (tilt, motion, proximity alarm, glass brake sensors)
Autoglym version of superguard

Looking for ?9200

That's alot of car for the money IMHO.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Im 19 years old and have a 1.8T (150) i have only 1NCB and am paying ?1800 Fully comp, and when i hit 20 with 2 NCB (touch wood!) its only going to be ?1100.

So at 21 you should not find it a problem what so ever gettin insured... unless you have points etc

The 1.8T maybe lifless in stock form but thats what remaps are for [;)]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well Im selling my 115pd shortly and then I have some extra cash so realisticly I guess max of 9500 and I dont really wanna buy anything with more than 40,000 on the clock because I want to be able to keep it for a few years.

I didnt think this would be enough for the 150pd?
Ive just picked up my 52 Golf 5dr PD 150 with 23K on the clock from a dealer (not VW) for ?9,900. It just took 2 months of searching! So your max of 9500 is certainly achieveable with a little patience if you decide to get a PD150. Goodluck

Im 22 (got 6 points) and found Norwich Union pretty good, although only paying ?420 (through my folks) so probably of no use to you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts