Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody noticed the 2006 Model year brochure now shows.. ..between 9000 miles up to a maximum of 18000 miles (or 24 months) for both petrol and diesel engines. No longer up to 30,0000 miles maximum (or 24 months) for diesel engines as previously (2005 Model year).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Has anybody noticed the 2006 Model year brochure now shows.. ..between 9000 miles up to a maximum of 18000 miles (or 24 months) for both petrol and diesel engines. No longer up to 30,0000 miles maximum (or 24 months) for diesel engines as previously (2005 Model year).
These mileages are more realistic in terms of what the engines are actually achieving

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yeah. This isn't a recent change though. The Mk V price lists (for 2005 models) were corrected back in about April this year. I don't think Mk V's on the flexible service regiem have ever been able to go 30,000 miles between services. I contacted VW Customer Service back in about April this year and said I felt a bit conned because the 30,000 mile interval was one of the reasons I picked the Mk V. As a guesture of good will, they offered to pay for my next service. If you feel a bit conned too, I'd recommend you contact VW customer service too.

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Up to 2003 model year its 30k miles on diesels, 2004 onwards it 18k(Touran, MKV etc)

If your MKIV,3B Passat etc is 2004/2005 model year then its still 30k miles

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Which really is too long between oil changes I think.
Personal choice really, a lot of people are still thinking back to years gone by where cars needed to be serviced every 10k, but with todays technolagy advancing so fast it does no extra harm leacing it till 20-30k for services

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Personal choice really, a lot of people are still thinking back to years gone by where cars needed to be serviced every 10k, but with todays technolagy advancing so fast it does no extra harm leacing it till 20-30k for services
May I ask then why VW changed from 30k miles back to 18k?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Just looked at the 2006 model year price list which has recently appeared on the VW.co.uk website and they have again altered the description of the "standard" service interval for a Mk V. They now appear to suggest that you can go up to 20,000 miles between services. I think this is either 1) a typo or 2) The newer Mk V's can indeed go a bit longer between services than the 2005 models. (perhaps new software somewhere?)

I agree with 20valve about engine technology moving on and if an engine is designed to go 30,000 miles between oil changes, there's no need to do it earlier. That said, I initially started off very positive about VW's flexible service regieme but now I'm beginning to wonder if it does nothing more than just confuse customers and perhaps the people in the garages too.

Stuart

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
May I ask then why VW changed from 30k miles back to 18k?
I have a bulletin about it somewhere but can't find it, i think the jist of it was that it was confusing to the customer so they changed all models, petrol & diesel, back to 18k

They also stated that to get the full benifit of variable servicing then you need to be doing an average of at least 25 miles per day, anything less than that then you would be better of sticking to Time & Distance.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
They are all 18k now as they are trying to cover the embarrassment of having made the mistake of directly quoting the parent companies 30k service interval and forgeting to convert it to miles!

·
Registered
591 Posts
They are all 18k now as they are trying to cover the embarrassment of having made the mistake of directly quoting the parent companies 30k service interval and forgeting to convert it to miles!
So any thoughts as to why they've upped the maximum service interval in the most recent 2006 price lists from 18,000 miles to 20,000 miles?

I think I'm going to contact VW Customer Service again because either 1) they are lying by saying in the literature their cars can go 20,000 miles between services when my personal findings are that only about 18,600 miles is possible, 2) there's something wrong with my car, or 3) the 2006 model year Mk Vs are different in some way and can go further between services.

All this changing of maximum possible service intervals is confusing.

Stuart

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
For years manufacturers have been changing service intervals without making any changes to the cars. It wouldn't surprise me if VW have changed the max figure so as to be in line with major competitors products!

The point of variable service though should be that a car will need servicing due to the type of driving it has done. e.g. a car driven only on short journeys would need serviced after less miles than one that is gently driven along the motorway.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
So any thoughts as to why they've upped the maximum service interval in the most recent 2006 price lists from 18,000 miles to 20,000 miles?
Yes, they found that some people were getting a little more than 18k miles (the original 30,000 Km figure having proven to be a little bit conservative).

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the interesting comments. There is still confusion out there because VW website still shows today .....up to 30,000 miles (or two years max) under the 'Longlife Servicing' heading. My VW price list effective from 1.6.2005 for 2006 Model Year shows the maximum as 18,000 miles max.( may be this price list from the dealer is now out of date?)

I know everybody's driving & usage is diffferent but I begin to wonder, as someone has already said, that the figures banded about have something to do with sales competition with other manufactures eg Vauxhall quoting 20,000 miles petrol, 30,000 miles max diesel.

If it wasn't a translation error originally it woul have been interesting to see what percentage of diesels exceeded 18,600 miles in the original trials in Germany before the 'longlife regime' was 'launched'.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Thanks for all the interesting comments. There is still confusion out there because VW website still shows today .....up to 30,000 miles (or two years max) under the 'Longlife Servicing' heading. My VW price list effective from 1.6.2005 for 2006 Model Year shows the maximum as 18,000 miles max.( may be this price list from the dealer is now out of date?).
Do not take too much notice of the main body of the website - its full of mistakes. The downloadable pricelist is worth looking at though - I think the latest version is 1.8.05?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts