Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Definately looks like 2006 model Mk Vs are about to start hitting the streets here in the UK anytime now. I was scratching my head trying to translate from the German VW site last night and the online brochures and price-lists are all marked 2006 model.

I couldn't spot too many differences but then again, the differences between 2004 and 2005 models were very minimal and few were mentioned in the documentation.

That said, there looked to be some interesting new stereo/sat nav options available. Whether these will be available here I don't know but there's a RNS300 cut-down monochrome sat nav with the CD having MP3 support. This was a nice looking unit with a central control knob. There was also an improved MFD2 which was DVD based.

Anyone interested and preferably reads German can view www.volkswagen.de

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
752 Posts
I was at my local VW Bodyshop dept. today dropping my car off, and next door is where my local dealer keeps a lot of the golfs etc. that are waiting delivery/haven't been taken to the dealer to be collected yet, (the main dealer is just around the corner). Some of them (unregistered) seemed to have small fin-like aerials on the top, not sure if this has anything to do with 2006 model changes, or maybe it's satnav/phone prep?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Reading some of the reports on the new passat VW has a range of different ICE, hopefully this will filter into the 06 Golf and I can start retro fitting it into mine. I don't see the point in fitting the current CD based sat nav if the DVD is on the horizon.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My understanding is that different countries have different levels of spec specified as standard. I wouldn't read too much into what you read about the German models.

Actually, after looking at the german site last night it seemed that UK cars are more highly speced than the German equivalents.

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just seen some pics of new GTis on the Tyresmoke forums.  It seems that people picking them up now are getting bee-sting aerials -general theory on there is that 2006 models are getting this instead of the built into rear screen one.  Don't know whether I should be gutted or not - I picked my car up 1 week ago and it's defo a 2005 model year.  Not bothered about the bee sting but can't help wondering what else they've changed - they  must have gone over to the new model the very day after mine was built

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Just seen some pics of new GTis on the Tyresmoke forums. It seems that people picking them up now are getting bee-sting aerials -general theory on there is that 2006 models are getting this instead of the built into rear screen one. Don't know whether I should be gutted or not - I picked my car up 1 week ago and it's defo a 2005 model year. No bothered about the bee sting but can't help wondering what else they've changed - they must have gone over to the new model the dery day after mine was built
Gutted for u mate, i wounder if the bee sthings have got the gps enabled in them, if they have, retrofit navi will be a whole lot easier!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here you go....

http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/1,2,12,15,22,25,26,27,8/Number/460985/an/0/page/0#460985

and

http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/1,2,12,15,22,25,26,27,8/Number/458638/an/0/page/1#458638

cjp2k, If it does include a GPS aerial then I would be extremely gutted. I've currently got my retrofit internal one stashed under the central metal grill - gets about 5 satellittes out of 8. Seems to work well enough but he compass function seems to bounce between 'No Fix' and '2D fix' all the time. Very rarely do I get a 3D fix.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I grew up on Golfs with Bee Sting aerials so I was a little surprised when they went on the introduction of the Mk 5. Now that they're back I'm not sure how I feel. At least it gives us something else to mod as they're certainly too long!!! [:D]

·
Registered
440 Posts
Black dash???? I hope so, mine is being born on the 4th of July and i think a black dash would be a big improvement.
Must say I like the grey dash, I think I got fed up looking at black dashes for the last 15 years, think the black looks a bit dull and old fashion now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts