Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
golf mk4 boot will not lock with remote,

it does lock with the key but thats it,

i have removed the rear cover and all seams ok well when i say ok the window washer is all in one place so its not that....

whats the next thing i should do please

thanks simon

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Sounds daft and simple but, have you turned the key to the correct position?

The rear boot lock can be left in 2 positions.

If the key blade, when removed, has the widest part showing upwards (so I'd class this as 90 degrees from vertical) then the remote locking will not open the boot.

If the key if vertical when removed, thinest part of blade facing you as you look down, then the remote locking should work.

Hope that makes sense!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yer tried that the solinoed in the boot makes no sounds at all... any ideas how i remove or check it please

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have this problem at the moment but mines definatley the white solenoid thing, that doesnt make any noise when i tried to operate it, guess its an ebay job for me then, where was the wire damaged??? I guess i will try this also

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have this problem at the moment but mines definatley the white solenoid thing, that doesnt make any noise when i tried to operate it, guess its an ebay job for me then, where was the wire damaged??? I guess i will try this also
check the wiring which goes the body of the car to the tailgate. wires are located inside the rubber tubing on the top right side of the tailgate. very easy fix.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i would say check the wiring in the rubber boot on the right as thats the location of all my problems, i just conected 3 new wires and ran it in the rubber boot and 1 wire goes to heated rear window and blue and a green wire is the boot solenoid....

its an easy fix but it does take some time...

cheers simon

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been chasing my tail with this one.

I bought a new motor, that still doesn't work. I continuity checked all the wires and they are all fine. Then put everything back together and it works!!! Well for about 3 goes and then stops working again.

Then I check the wiring on the left hand of the boot and after that the lock works....then stops again after a few goes.

I then must have blown a fuse as all the locks and the interior lights stopped working and so did my keyfob. So I put a new fuse in and.........the boot locks again. But I put the only fuse to hand in, should be a 10a and I had a 30a....so I bought a 10a and put that fuse in.....now my boot doesn't lock.

WTF is going on? Is it still a iwring thing and the fuse stuff is just coincindence?

When you have "rewired" did you go into the roof of the car at the back of just from where the 3 wires come out of the car and then rewire in the rubber flexi bit?

I'm wondeiring if it's easy to get to the wires inside the car roof lining so I can do a rewire from there all the way to the lock itself??? anyone done that? This is driving me mad now.

Ta, John

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi

i joined the wires onto the cable that was split/broken and then pusted it into the roof space and then fed it in the rubber boot, and then down to the solinoied....

its a 10amp fuse you need and i would say that may have something to do with it ... as it sounds like the wires are working at times then not at others....

Also the wires for the boot that lock it are on the drivers side of the car and not the passenger side....

you will find 3 wires in the rubber boot...

Brown is the heated rear window

blue boot solenoid

green also boot solenoid

cheers simon

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pulled the plastics off around the boot lid, pulled away the roof linning and then saw the cables had already been spliced and repaired before.

So I cut away the repaired wires, fished through some mains flexi cable and connected it all up.

Boot lock works fine now, heated screen also works a treat too.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pulled the plastics off around the boot lid, pulled away the roof linning and then saw the cables had already been spliced and repaired before.

So I cut away the repaired wires, fished through some mains flexi cable and connected it all up.

Boot lock works fine now, heated screen also works a treat too.
nice one thats what i like to hear...

simon

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bringing up an old thread, but...

Had this problem when I got my Golf. Discovered the split green and blue wires for the solenoid. Fixed them and all is well.

This evening, faffing around with that area of the car, I pulled the rubber boot off (on the driver's side) and noticed that something was cutting into the brown wire and something had cut into the very thick plastic protecting the aerial cable I'm running through there.

Fortunately whatever it is hadn't cut through the cable so a quick repair job with electrical tape should do it to re-insulate the cable.

Don't know if it's a design flaw or if I'm just unlucky. Will probably run some split sleeve tubing through the rubber boots on both sides to protect the looms/cables and see what happens.

I highly recommend you all have a look at yours. It takes two seconds

·
Dinny gees any o yir pash !
1,198 Posts
I know that someone has posted a set of pics & a 'how to ..' in the last 6 months, but I couldn't find it when looking just now....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts