Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my turbo has gone tits up (keeps going into limp mode) the common problem of sooty vanes. Tried cleaning etc but its no good :-(

Anyone recommend a replacement please with prices etc.

Looking for either replacement or upgrade to a hybrid.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Im guessing you tried innotec cleaner? ifso maybe worth speaking to rtech as they do a complete turbo strip down and clean each part fully, which 99% of the time fixes it, you could also put a 150 tdi turbo on as an upgrade without any hassle and not nessecary to upgrade everything you have to with the hybrid setup and could get around 195 and 330ftlbs ish with a map

craig

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
So my turbo has gone Parus caeruleus up (keeps going into limp mode) the common problem of sooty vanes. Tried cleaning etc but its no good :-(

Thanks
Whereabouts are you based?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im guessing you tried innotec cleaner? ifso maybe worth speaking to rtech as they do a complete turbo strip down and clean each part fully, which 99% of the time fixes it, you could also put a 150 tdi turbo on as an upgrade without any hassle and not nessecary to upgrade everything you have to with the hybrid setup and could get around 195 and 330ftlbs ish with a map

craig
Craig, yeah I tried the innotec cleaner and it worked for a month or two but then the same prob has returned. Tried changing the boost control N75 valve but still have the same problem so putting it down to the soot problem. Its a real pain becuase if I just turn the engine off and start again its fine GGGrrrrr. So now looking into how much it would cost for another turbo.

Just unsure as to costs of refurbs or new turbos etc

If I go for a standard 150 tdi turbo I would be worried I would get the same problem again

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
i have just changed my turbo as i blew my old one up but the manifold and vnt is complete and never once went into limp mode. i was thinking of trying to build something unique with it for the future.

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
So my turbo has gone Parus caeruleus up (keeps going into limp mode) the common problem of sooty vanes. Tried cleaning etc but its no good :-(

Thanks
You need to have it stripped down cleaned and rebuilt R-Tech are best for that kind of job [:cool:] I cleaned mine with oven cleaner down the EGR exhaust outlet. It worked a treat. If you have your innotec hose it would be worth sticking some oven cleaner in. see my build thread for pics.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks
You need to have it stripped down cleaned and rebuilt R-Tech are best for that kind of job
I cleaned mine with oven cleaner down the EGR exhaust outlet. It worked a treat. If you have your innotec hose it would be worth sticking some oven cleaner in. see my build thread for pics.
Cheers madman, anything is worth a go before having to buy/pay for new turbo or rebuild. Sounds an odd question but what oven cleaner did you use to clean your turbo? [:)]

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
May be worth replacing the vacuum pipe to the actuator, if that doesnt work or madmans method, take the turbo pipe off and check for play in the shaft if its good send/ take to rtech for a clean, if there is play get it refurbished or get a new one#

craig

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts

Thanks
You need to have it stripped down cleaned and rebuilt R-Tech are best for that kind of job
I cleaned mine with oven cleaner down the EGR exhaust outlet. It worked a treat. If you have your innotec hose it would be worth sticking some oven cleaner in. see my build thread for pics.
Cheers madman, anything is worth a go before having to buy/pay for new turbo or rebuild. Sounds an odd question but what oven cleaner did you use to clean your turbo?
Mr Muscle oven cleaner mate...did it a few times and worked the vanes by sucking the acctuator vacuum pipe.

·
You ain't seen me, right?
3,778 Posts
i got my refurb turbo from midland turbo in nottingham, just off J26 circa £440 they also service turbos as well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts